Save $$$$ on gasoline.

jarthur31

This is legit!

http://www.mygallons.com/

I read it in this article: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2324337,00.asp

If you want to save several hundred dollars a year give this short article a read and sign up.

Click on "Locations" up top to find providers in your area.

Am I missing something here? Are they going to tell me what their current rate is before I pay $30 for their "membership fee"?

I went through the sign up, up to the part where they asked for my card # and still didn't see the price they were going to sell it to me for. If its $3.50 a gallon, I'd consider it. But I'm not doing this to save $.10 a gallon.

Am I missing something here? Are they going to tell me what their current rate is before I pay $30 for their "membership fee"?

I went through the sign up, up to the part where they asked for my card # and still didn't see the price they were going to sell it to me for. If its $3.50 a gallon, I'd consider it. But I'm not doing this to save $.10 a gallon.

Wait, I think I got it. I'm paying the average CURRENT price? And I get the privilege of paying $30 to do it? No thanks. I'd be better off putting $500 into my 401k.

In May, I paid $140 for gas and June, I paid $40. I have only been using my car for to and from work and errands in which I am carrying heavy groceries from outside the neighborhood. Beyond that, I use my bike or walk. Short jaunts in the car to shop, visit, dine etc., are now mostly done without the car. I decided that I will only drive and spend so much. And as it turns out I am driving and spending much less than before the recent gouge got out of control. Over the last five weeks I have driven 76, 134, 63, 74 and 101 miles. I used to drive 250 - 300 miles per week. The food prices that have risen because of the oil and gas price hikes have caused me to change what I buy. The 99 cent store has been a great option for buying that which I used to but at a typical grocery store.

Times have been tougher for most. If you consider the Depression and the World Wars, some have had it much worse than many of us. And if you think about those who we are enriching each time we waste oil and gas it may serve as incentive to use less. The oil producers, the oil companies, the speculators... Not exactly friends of mine...

Do whatever you can to fight back.

I've been getting 35 more miles a tank fill because I fill up first thing in the morning rather than in the late afternoon.

Look it up. <_<

I did. Where do you get your fuel, at Cincy's station? :lol:<_<

On this note below, I did notice a Shell station near me that recently remodeled and they didn't have Awnings over the pumps... Needless to say, I don't use them because I don't want to be rained on!

<_<

This is actually a myth that used to be factual in some cases.

The way gas pumps used to be set up was without any sort of awning system like we enjoy today, and the pumps actually had a glass bulb-reservoir which the gasoline was pumped into before being fed through the hose to your gas tank. What would happen is that in very hot climates or on a scorching summer day, by the mid afternoon the gas pump and everything going through it, wound up getting warmed up.

Obviously as things warm up they naturally expand and take up more volume, but the pre-measured volume of what's being pumped into your tank "said" so-many gallons even though the measure was then relative to the gas having slightly increased in volume due to being warmer.

On the other side of the coin, when someone bought gas from those same pumps early in the morning, then they had all night to expend the heat they had absorbed during the day and would then cool any gas flowing into and through it, which would have a slight constricting effect on the gas.

While at the time this all held true, modern facilities don't succumb so easily to this because everything from the storage tanks to the pumps is secured not only from a safety perspective, but also a position of convenience like the large awnings that are very common on gas stations today. The temperature that the gas is stored and pumped at is actually very consistent outside of the most severe weather (incredibly hot/cold weather can still permeate the pump hose) but even then the effect is very very minimal and the amount of exposure is also extremely low.

I've been getting 35 more miles a tank fill because I fill up first thing in the morning rather than in the late afternoon.

Look it up. :lol:

You are probably getting better gas mileage because the gasoline blend that the suppliers use in the summer is different (and better) than the crap the sell us in the winter.

I believe that they actually change the blend a few times per year.

You are probably getting better gas mileage because the gasoline blend that the suppliers use in the summer is different (and better) than the crap the sell us in the winter.

I believe that they actually change the blend a few times per year.

Really?

I have noticed that! FWIW... I have seen a dramatic increase in the mileage I get with my Jeep! Really, I can get almost 100 miles more a tank full!

:lol:

Government mandate it making everyone switch to Ethanol (old news). And some gas stations (Hess being the main one that anyones mentioned to me) has been using a second rate gas that contains ethanol, thus its been effecting peoples cars and ruining their lawn equipment. Thats here in Florida, I dont know about elsewhere. What happens with the ethanol, its dirty, and if the owners of these mom and pop stations dont get their pumps and tanks clean then its going to make it even worse. So that being said, Its was also a government mandate issued a few years back that all the stations had to get new pumps by 2008 if they were so old, and now I know why, the ethanol. Quick facts about it, the quality is not any better than regular gas, it cost just as much if not more to make, and is going to effect the food prices even more. But since refinery's are cutting back on production to increase profit, we need a "quick fix" which will probably in turn ruin our cars and make us have to buy new cars, hybrids or electric cars in the next 5-10 maybe 15 years. Which will help the car industry get back on its feet and put the States deeper into debt.

Just my rant for the day. Don't work too hard :lol:

In May, I paid $140 for gas and June, I paid $40. I have only been using my car for to and from work and errands in which I am carrying heavy groceries from outside the neighborhood. Beyond that, I use my bike or walk. Short jaunts in the car to shop, visit, dine etc., are now mostly done without the car. I decided that I will only drive and spend so much. And as it turns out I am driving and spending much less than before the recent gouge got out of control. Over the last five weeks I have driven 76, 134, 63, 74 and 101 miles. I used to drive 250 - 300 miles per week. The food prices that have risen because of the oil and gas price hikes have caused me to change what I buy. The 99 cent store has been a great option for buying that which I used to but at a typical grocery store.

Times have been tougher for most. If you consider the Depression and the World Wars, some have had it much worse than many of us. And if you think about those who we are enriching each time we waste oil and gas it may serve as incentive to use less. The oil producers, the oil companies, the speculators... Not exactly friends of mine...

Do whatever you can to fight back.

nice post.

Really?

I have noticed that! FWIW... I have seen a dramatic increase in the mileage I get with my Jeep! Really, I can get almost 100 miles more a tank full!

There are summer and winter blends of gasoline which are mandated in most parts of the US. Initially the regulation was for high smog areas but was adopted by several states. Technically, the reid vapor pressure (RVP) of the gasoline is mandated to be lower in summer than in winter by changing the way gasoline is blended at the refinery. What this means is that in summer the gasoline is less prone to evaporating thus reducing the ozone depleting compounds in the air. Formulations typically flip back and forth on May 1 and Oct 1. My unscientific data (I track mileage per fill-up) shows that winter formulation gives a slightly higher mpg than the summer one with similar ambient temperatures. A side note is that I also believe the ethanol blends give lower mpg.

There are summer and winter blends of gasoline which are mandated in most parts of the US. Initially the regulation was for high smog areas but was adopted by several states. Technically, the reid vapor pressure (RVP) of the gasoline is mandated to be lower in summer than in winter by changing the way gasoline is blended at the refinery. What this means is that in summer the gasoline is less prone to evaporating thus reducing the ozone depleting compounds in the air. Formulations typically flip back and forth on May 1 and Oct 1. My unscientific data (I track mileage per fill-up) shows that winter formulation gives a slightly higher mpg than the summer one with similar ambient temperatures. A side note is that I also believe the ethanol blends give lower mpg.

You are correct about the ethanol blends. I have filled my tank at Hess and Sunoco, bot of which use ethanol blends, and have noticed a decrease of approxiamtely 30 to 40 miles per full tank. I am not sure if Exxon utilizes an Ethanol blend, but I have noticed that I get better mileage.

BTW, I have always gotten better mileage with the summer blend.

Ethanol sucks and not to politicize this thread, but the Corn growers and the Ethanol industry have Obama in their back pocket. If he is elected, we can expect to have crappier gas and more expensive groceries.

You're right about the blends. But the winter blend is less volatile. You get LESS MPG with the winter blend. I too track every fill-up with my vehicles. Both loose 3-5 mpg with winter blends