Did we know this? DTs will switch assignments

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In that article, it says that Fewell thinks that Johnson can play DE as well as the interior. That's pretty interesting in case of an injury.

I like it. Johnson sounds like he could be our version of the Patriots' Richard Seymour. Versatility on the DL is great but playmakers are even better. Let's hope that Johnson is the playmaker that we have been needing.

I think Williams has played better so far, but McCargo started to come along at the end of last year and has more potential, he really just needs to be consistent. I think he'll be getting the bulk of the PT next to stroud next year.

No one is the best person to line up next to anyone. From every interview I've seen, they will rotate a lot, so everyone will be playing next to everyone.

So it is unimportant who starts? Interesting. I wonder if they will consider saving Stroud and not play him in the first half of games. He'll be a beast come the 4th quarter.

So it is unimportant who starts? Interesting. I wonder if they will consider saving Stroud and not play him in the first half of games. He'll be a beast come the 4th quarter.

If that is the best use of his energy, and gives us the best chance of winnning, I'm all for it.

If that is the best use of his energy, and gives us the best chance of winnning, I'm all for it.

I do hear what you are saying, but...it does matter who starts. I doubt Stroud would be all for my proposal.

But...to change it up for you...who do you feel will be the two most effective DTs on the roster in 2008? I believe Stroud and Williams.

I do hear what you are saying, but...it does matter who starts. I doubt Stroud would be all for my proposal.

But...to change it up for you...who do you feel will be the two most effective DTs on the roster in 2008? I believe Stroud and Williams.

Oh. I'm a big McCargo fan. I think that guy is going to be huge this year. Stroud will distract people and McCargo with run them over. That is my theory.

Why do you like Williams so much? I mean I think he works hard, but I think he's not super talented. .. I hate to say it but .. "high motor"?

I certainly think the Bills will have a "starting lineup" that is static, however the system I believe Fewell is trying to install is such that its just as likely a guy will be replaced on Play Two as he will on Play Ten. In that context, the term "starter" really carries no relevance whatsoever.

The fact that we even get to have fun asking this question shows a significant improvement, which means I am already happy with whoever starts. I agree that McCargo has more potential, but Williams is the better player right now. I think Stroud is a starter for right now.

This camp is going to be huge for all of our DTs because all of them have something specific to prove, and individual questions to overcome, Stroud=injury?, Williams=is their another level?, Johnson=Backup or Starter? But, I think this applies especially for McCargo = 1st Round Stud or J.A.G? Hopefully this turns into a significant motivation factor for all 4 of them, and we see them busting their humps to get ready for the season. If that happens, we will know that whoever is starting earned his spot, and that can only be a good thing.

It'll be great if all of them can do the job well, and they keep pushing each other throughout the season. It would also be nice to game plan their specific strengths against our opponents. For example, if Williams/Johnson are faster off the line, then use them more in passing situations, however, if we need size, then use Stroud/McCargo in running situations. It doesn't have to be that arbitrary, but I wouldn't mind seeing us trying to exploit a weakness of a particular O lineman we face with a strength of one of our DTs, and make the other team adjust because of it. That can make a huge difference on D.

We'll no longer have a nose & a 3 technique tackle, players will alternate that role based on reads.

Given that...who's the best person to line up next to Stroud?

I say Williams. What you say?

linkage

There is no question McCargo should be getting the bulk of the snaps with Stroud.

Anything else and this report is just a pre-emptive strike to build the foundation for an alternative theory as to why a 1st rounder can't break into the starting lineup and is seriously under-performing.

Why do you like Williams so much? I mean I think he works hard, but I think he's not super talented. .. I hate to say it but .. "high motor"?

I don't know, something about him. He reminds me of a bowling ball with knives.

Williams has the advantage of 2 seasons under his belt, while McCargo has 1 and 1/4. Kyle Williams was consistently mediocre, while McCargo was mediocre and showed flashes of greatness. I expect McCargo to greatly improve this season.