I used to think Lynch supporters were bad but then...

The trend favors the "believers"- there just are no longer the "career" running backs you see opening and closing 11 or 12 year careers with the same team.

It could have something to do w/ the average career for a RB being somewhere in the 2-3 year neighborhood, too.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cant we wait to see if there is a REAL pattern of thuggery before we declare Lynch a lost cause?

You and I both strongly support the good guys who wear our uniform, and we will always have that in common.

Lynch's problems with the local Police Department establish a pretty clear picture of the disdain he and his family have for "rules". I know one thing I hate about going back home is that ticky tack enforcement of the vehicle code when compared to California, but nonetheless those are the rules and if you're located there you damn sure had better find a way to live with them.

Multiple local bars have asked him to leave because he's making drinks from his flask. Some of my best friends have been/are bartenders. I like bars and spend lots of time in them. Over the years I've been given a head's up by different bartenders about people they knew who bought sodas and were known to carry flasks and make their own drinks. I know what I thought of every one of them- I thought they were scumbags. I treated every one of them from the point I learned about their bad judgement accordingly.

Now just because a guy is a decent football player for my favorite sports team, do I throw away the position I've always taken with people who cheat that way? It doesn't make any sense. I can't see why I would hold the rest of the world to one standard and then allow Lynch to get away with a smarmy Oakland attitude and somehow try to justify it. I despise that as a team we've taken to bringing in people with attitudes like Lynch's, and I think it might very well be why we're seeing this one contract and fleeing going on. There are good guys who play the position. The last three we've drafted are not "good guys".

I will guess that this incident, brought on fully and solely by Lynch himself, will be used by Lynch and his agent to "explain" why they are looking outside of Buffalo once he's a FA. And that will be an ironic event from my seat- he made his bed and will soon be asking how anyone could possibly want to sleep in it.

On the other hand, if he's got some desire and any brains at all, he'll recognize that he needs to put up some big numbers to make his departure from Buffalo more lucrative. So we'll both hope that adds up to some good seasons out of him before he gives us the finger officially.

Based on what you say AKC....do you see us drafting a running back in the 1st next year?

I'm hoping we've learned our lesson and we stop using that top draft equity at a position like RB that may be addressed a different way. The shift towards defensive talent at the top among the best teams is convincing enough that we should be looking for FA or talent down the board at RB while creating the type of defense the best teams put on the field on Sundays. We've seen below average offenses win recent Lombardis playing opposite top tier defenses, but the opposite has not happened. The wildly incorrect assumption that the Rams won with a bad defense holds no weight- they were a very, very good defensive football team. Even an underperforming Indy D came alive in the playoffs the year they won. Contrary to the false hype, the *s won because of the league's most reliable D. Tampa, Baltimore- I think the record is way too clear.

We're at least a draft and FA period away from being competitive on defense. That means we have absolutely no chance this coming season of being an overall competitive team against the top tier of the league. Playing a Schedule Lite might give us some fun days during the season, but we're really playing this year for 2009. If we draft a RB with our top pick in 2009, we'll then move that marker to playing for 2010. On the other hand, if we are able to build the type of defense for 2009 that pressures opposing offenses in the middle (a-la the NY Giants) while not conceding the run, our offense will all of a sudden become a fan darling. And like always the offense will get an inordinate amount of the press and fan attention. But the big games- and any Buffalo Bill's turn-around, will be won on the other side of the ball.

I'm hoping we've learned our lesson and we stop using that top draft equity at a position like RB that may be addressed a different way. The shift towards defensive talent at the top among the best teams is convincing enough that we should be looking for FA or talent down the board at RB while creating the type of defense the best teams put on the field on Sundays. We've seen below average offenses win recent Lombardis playing opposite top tier defenses, but the opposite has not happened. The wildly incorrect assumption that the Rams won with a bad defense holds no weight- they were a very, very good defensive football team. Even an underperforming Indy D came alive in the playoffs the year they won. Contrary to the false hype, the *s won because of the league's most reliable D. Tampa, Baltimore- I think the record is way too clear.

We're at least a draft and FA period away from being competitive on defense. That means we have absolutely no chance this coming season of being an overall competitive team against the top tier of the league. Playing a Schedule Lite might give us some fun days during the season, but we're really playing this year for 2009. If we draft a RB with our top pick in 2009, we'll then move that marker to playing for 2010. On the other hand, if we are able to build the type of defense for 2009 that pressures opposing offenses in the middle (a-la the NY Giants) while not conceding the run, our offense will all of a sudden become a fan darling. And like always the offense will get an inordinate amount of the press and fan attention. But the big games- and any Buffalo Bill's turn-around, will be won on the other side of the ball.

Thanks for your input.....

I really hope that you are wrong about Lynch and that he can stay out of trouble and be with the team for a few years.

I think that the Marshawn Lynch exit strategy discussion is WAY premature, especially implying the May 31st incident may want him to leave. In my opinion Western New York/ Buffalo law enforcement is extremely easily on the Bills/Sabres, especially when compared to Cincy & Jacksonville who don't give a sh-- who you are. I know alot of cops who have told me stories of different Sabres and Bills who have gotten off the hook for various things, mostly drunk driving.

Thanks for your input.....

I really hope that you are wrong about Lynch and that he can stay out of trouble and be with the team for a few years.

How can he be wrong, when he knows that people who bring alcohol to bars are scumbags? Just like those who sneak it into sporting events, movies, anywhere else they can. :thumbdown:

It's trashy to do it anywhere

I agree with you that 12 year olds sneaking a bottle of Cutty Sark into the movies is hardly the same as an adult going into a place of business and cheating that business, not to mention cheating every other paying customer. When that adult happens to be a hi-profile multi-millionaire who has ALREADY been exposed for the same crime, it's almost incomprehensible that an average citizen would defend them. Pop culture surely has a dark side.

But when VOR opens his bar, we'll all make sure to stop by and grab a coke or two.

I agree with you that 12 year olds sneaking a bottle of Cutty Sark into the movies is hardly the same as an adult going into a place of business and cheating that business, not to mention cheating every other paying customer. When that adult happens to be a hi-profile multi-millionaire who has ALREADY been exposed for the same crime, it's almost incomprehensible that an average citizen would defend them. Pop culture surely has a dark side.

Wow, Lynch sounds like the cheatingest person ever! Because no one cheats in other ways. But since you have bartender friends, "cheating" this way strikes a chord with you. But tell me AKC, do you think your bartender friends report all their earnings/tips? If they don't, they're scumbags. And I bet they don't.

Wow, Lynch sounds like the cheatingest person ever! Because no one cheats in other ways. But since you have bartender friends, "cheating" this way strikes a chord with you. But tell me AKC, do you think your bartender friends report all their earnings/tips? If they don't, they're scumbags. And I bet they don't.

1) You don't KNOW that they don't

2) Apples and Oranges anyways

I bet they don't.

You're drifting far, far away from stealing directly out of the bar owners cash register. I'd say the one thing we've firmly established is that if you were a bartender, there's not a chance you would report all your tips. Don't mistake your own choices for those made by other people.

And all your excuses for Lynch's embarrasing disregard of honorable and decent lifestyle decisions doesn't change that he's half the human being of anyone I consider a good friend. And that's too bad, because I'll bet that the vast majority of the players on our roster are good guys.

You're drifting far, far away from stealing directly out of the bar owners cash register. I'd say the one thing we've firmly established is that if you were a bartender, there's not a chance you would report all your tips. Don't mistake your own choices for those made by other people.

So now Lynch is "stealing directly out of the bar owners cash register?" LOL! What's next; calling him the chief reason there's poverty among Buffalo-area bartenders?

Sorry but if you want to play moral judge, you'll have to accept the fact that more than a few people you know are cheating one system or another. Whether you excuse some because they don't affect you speaks more about you than anything else. You are so willing to believe that Lynch couldn't possibly have not known that he hit that girl (it's called reasonable doubt), yet you are so convinced that your bartender friends, whose cause you are championing, aren't under-reporting their income, aka cheating the system. Or maybe they're taking bartender jobs on the side and getting paid under the table. Go with that theory, if it helps you sleep at night atop that high horse.

And all your excuses for Lynch's embarrasing disregard of honorable and decent lifestyle decisions doesn't change that he's half the human being of anyone I consider a good friend. And that's too bad, because I'll bet that the vast majority of the players on our roster are good guys.

So what about the early 90's Bills? Eric Moulds? What would you say about their lifestyle decisions? Or does it not concern you because you didn't know about that stuff at the time?

So now Lynch is "stealing directly out of the bar owners cash register?" LOL! What's next; calling him the chief reason there's poverty among Buffalo-area bartenders?

Sorry but if you want to play moral judge, you'll have to accept the fact that more than a few people you know are cheating one system or another. Whether you excuse some because they don't affect you speaks more about you than anything else. You are so willing to believe that Lynch couldn't possibly have not known that he hit that girl (it's called reasonable doubt), yet you are so convinced that your bartender friends, whose cause you are championing, aren't under-reporting their income, aka cheating the system. Or maybe they're taking bartender jobs on the side and getting paid under the table. Go with that theory, if it helps you sleep at night atop that high horse.

So what about the early 90's Bills? Eric Moulds? What would you say about their lifestyle decisions? Or does it not concern you because you didn't know about that stuff at the time?

So we should just excuse Lynch's poor behavior because of other people's behavior?

So we should just excuse Lynch's poor behavior because of other people's behavior?

I don't consider bringing alcohol to bars "bad behavior." Like I said, given how many people cheat some system and do real bad things, it's so far down the list, I thought it was a joke when I first read about it in the Buffalo News.

As for the hit and run, you know my position on that.

I don't consider bringing alcohol to bars "bad behavior." Like I said, given how many people cheat some system and do real bad things, it's so far down the list, I thought it was a joke when I first read about it in the Buffalo News.

As for the hit and run, you know my position on that.

Really? You must really be some kind of low rent white trash then.

Just wait 'til Lynch either leaves in free agency or is traded.

I root for the Laundry.

Once he leaves, you're darn right I will tear him apart for the DUIing, Hit-n-Running, not-admitting piece of crap that he is.

Until then... he only hit a canadian chick. Who cares?

You mean like your namesake?

Or like any other person who sneaks alcohol into events/establishments?

You got to admit it's very low rent to bring your own alcohol into a bar. I'd put it on par with someone sneaking food out from a all you can eat buffet in terms of classlessness. Just saying.