new gi bill long over due

i dont know what took these pinheads in congress so long to change a completely outdated program. i discharged in jan 03, and i will get roughly $1100 per month for school. that should pay about HALF the tutition if i'm lucky.

the new bill has up to $90k for any in-state 4yr school tutition and includes additional funds for books and other fees. you can now transfer any unused funds to a spouse or children.

great news for anyone who was deployed for more than 90 days to iraq or afganistan, or enlisted after 9/11/01 and served 3yrs w/ honorable discharge.

THE HOUSE AND SENATE have both signed off, they have a few thing to hash out, but bush 2 should signoff within 30 days. it would be retro active to 09/12/01

sweet, starting school in the fall, that may come in handy.... thanks for the info

i dont know what took these pinheads in congress so long to change a completely outdated program. i discharged in jan 03, and i will get roughly $1100 per month for school. that should pay about HALF the tutition if i'm lucky.

the new bill has up to $90k for any in-state 4yr school tutition and includes additional funds for books and other fees. you can now transfer any unused funds to a spouse or children.

great news for anyone who was deployed for more than 90 days to iraq or afganistan, or enlisted after 9/11/01 and served 3yrs w/ honorable discharge.

Question: Is it a stand-alone bill, or is it loaded with pork and earmark tack-ons? If it's loaded up, don't blame any this or any President that vetoes such. Save ire for Congress...

I am happy that the enlisted who served after 9/11 are getting a benefit.....but it still screwing others of us who served.

I was in the Air Force from 89-99.....and just the last couple of years have been trying to finish up my schooling.

Guess what....the new bill doesn't apply to me and I am going to run out of time in the "10 year rule" and will not be allowed to transfer to the new GI Bill where they get 15 years and more benefits.

While the 9/11 was no doubt a tragic event I still served and was a part of Desert Shield in Iraq.

I've been thinking about joining the National Guard or Reserves to help with my student loans and to help finish up with school...plus, nothing like a no-nonsense excuse to get in shape.

I hope you want a major in international studies, because you'll be matriculating in Iraq.

I am also considering rejoining the reserves. I have a contact at March ARB and might be able to catch on there.

John I have been an air force reservist my entire 4 and a half years and i love it, if you were in, and you miss it, get back in there

we need more good people

can someone explain why our soliders are treated the way they are and a country a million miles away has a thunderstorm and we wend $25,000,000,000 in aid on a moments notice

How are they treated?

Working on making sure the body fast measurement is good.....I will never make the actual weight requireent

well that makes 2 of us, been my biggest problem and the reason for me joining WW to get it all back...

what kind of work did you do in the AF before?

can someone explain why our soliders are treated the way they are and a country a million miles away has a thunderstorm and we wend $25,000,000,000 in aid on a moments notice

I never understood this either. I am against humanitarian relief overseas, when we have our own to take care of.