Atlanta released C Doug Datish.

I'd rather take a chance on LeCharles Bentley.

BTW, the Bills are reportedly one of several teams that have shown interest in Bentley: Click Me!

» Offensive lineman LeCharles Bentley: Close to 10 teams have been tracking Bentley, charting to see his condition and, at this point, his pricetag. Teams that have expressed varying degrees of interest in Bentley include Buffalo, Cincinnati, Miami, Oakland, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, San Francisco and Seattle. Each has a need along the offensive line, but no team’s offensive line needs are any greater than Miami’s and St. Louis’. The Rams efforted to sign former Raiders offensive tackle Barry Sims, but lost him to San Francisco. Early in July, Bentley might be the first player teams target when they return from a July 4 vacation.

Either one of them would be a size upgrade over Fowler. I do, however, think that Bentley would be the answer to finishing the building of the O-Line, assuming that he is fully healed from his knee injury. With almost two seasons where he hasn't played a game, I can only assume that his body is in good shape. Buffalo would be smart to take a chance on him and give Peters that contract extension that he wants. Buffalo is ready to make some waves and Bentley might be what we need to put this team over the top. That said, Datish was pretty good as well, and he is also an upgrade over Fowler in terms of size. Either way, he would be a good depth player in the event that Fowler goes down if the Bills don't want to use him as a starter.

My only concerns are, if both those players were really that great and an improvement, why were they made available for nothing? If Bentley is healed and would be an upgrade, why would Clevland cut him? If they have any interest in youbouty like the rumors say, why wouldn't they try to make a deal to swap guys if Buffalo has interest in bentlewy, instead of just cutting him? And if Datish was any good, why would a team like Atlanta not want him?

My only concerns are, if both those players were really that great and an improvement, why were they made available for nothing? If Bentley is healed and would be an upgrade, why would Clevland cut him? If they have any interest in youbouty like the rumors say, why wouldn't they try to make a deal to swap guys if Buffalo has interest in bentlewy, instead of just cutting him? And if Datish was any good, why would a team like Atlanta not want him?

Bentley signed a Huge contract with the Browns and never played a down. They were probably going to have to pay him a lot of $$ for the next year if they didn't cut him.

Either one of them would be a size upgrade over Fowler. I do, however, think that Bentley would be the answer to finishing the building of the O-Line, assuming that he is fully healed from his knee injury. With almost two seasons where he hasn't played a game, I can only assume that his body is in good shape. Buffalo would be smart to take a chance on him and give Peters that contract extension that he wants. Buffalo is ready to make some waves and Bentley might be what we need to put this team over the top. That said, Datish was pretty good as well, and he is also an upgrade over Fowler in terms of size. Either way, he would be a good depth player in the event that Fowler goes down if the Bills don't want to use him as a starter.

it's not so much Fowler's size that's the issue:

Fowler - 6'3, 310

Bentley - 6'2 - 313 (that's when he was playing football, which is going on, what, about 2 years)

Datish - 6'4 - 302

guys that can't stay healthy don't do a team much good. And it seems like a preposterous proposition that Datish would be any kind of an upgrade. He was a 6th round draft choice and its unclear that he's actually ever played in an NFL game.

basically Bentley might be worth a gamble, Datish is just another guy, despite his draft hype - teams didn't buy in to it for a reason.

Fowler - 6'3, 310

Bentley - 6'2 - 313 (that's when he was playing football, which is going on, what, about 2 years)

Datish - 6'4 - 302

guys that can't stay healthy don't do a team much good. And it seems like a preposterous proposition that Datish would be any kind of an upgrade. He was a 6th round draft choice and its unclear that he's actually ever played in an NFL game.

basically Bentley might be worth a gamble, Datish is just another guy, despite his draft hype - teams didn't buy in to it for a reason.

He was certainly a good player for OSU...gritty guy, who never gave up on a play. I'm sorry to hear about his injury. I don't think he was overly "hyped"...he was just one of the usual small crop of collegian Centers that gets talked about. I wish him well.

He was certainly a good player for OSU...gritty guy, who never gave up on a play. I'm sorry to hear about his injury. I don't think he was overly "hyped"...he was just one of the usual small crop of collegian Centers that gets talked about. I wish him well.

true, hyped by draft maniacs that tend to value center prospects a lot more than pro-clubs do, not so much hyped in the mainstream.

The Falcon's OC is Meat Head. So Datish couldn't make on that team.

I'd love for the Bills to take a chance on LeCharles Bentley. He was outstanding not all that long ago. If he can come back 80 percent from his injuries, he can beat out Fowler.

Fowler - 6'3, 310

Datish - 6'4 - 302

Of course he would be, according to the experts here, anyone is an upgrade who would without a doubt beat out the second worst centre in the league (Fowler) except for the worst centre in the league (Preston)

Fans always over hype players not on the team. Fowler is not a horrible centre. He has the intellegence, to be a great player, but the fans here complain that he isn't the biggest or the nastiest most physical player so they put him down as being horrible. I don't think that any changes are necessary to the o-line, except adding some more depth (better depth is always good, but not something you draft early for like some here want). Fowler isn't the greatest, but he is no where near the worst. He isn't a plus, but he also isn't a minus, and I don't know if you will find anyone who can step right in and be a plus on the open market, teams don't usually let those guys walk or if they do, they aren't on the market long. (A 100% healthy Bentley could be a huge plus though, if he is back to his former self, but if he was, i don't see the Browns just letting him go and absorbing the cap hit for his remaining contract.)

Of course he would be, according to the experts here, anyone is an upgrade who would without a doubt beat out the second worst centre in the league (Fowler) except for the worst centre in the league (Preston)

Fans always over hype players not on the team. Fowler is not a horrible centre. He has the intellegence, to be a great player, but the fans here complain that he isn't the biggest or the nastiest most physical player so they put him down as being horrible. I don't think that any changes are necessary to the o-line, except adding some more depth (better depth is always good, but not something you draft early for like some here want). Fowler isn't the greatest, but he is no where near the worst. He isn't a plus, but he also isn't a minus, and I don't know if you will find anyone who can step right in and be a plus on the open market, teams don't usually let those guys walk or if they do, they aren't on the market long. (A 100% healthy Bentley could be a huge plus though, if he is back to his former self, but if he was, i don't see the Browns just letting him go and absorbing the cap hit for his remaining contract.)

The Browns cut him 2 weeks ago...

http://blog.cleveland.com/plaindealer/2008...rles_bentl.html

Now that Bentley is thrown in the mix as a replacement for Fowler let me clarify that I was only wondering if Datish would be a good depth player for a back up role who could be developed. There is no comparison between Bentley and Datish. Bentley is well established and expensive and Datish is very raw but super cheap. I'm just wondering if the Bills will take a look at him as a prospect with potential.

Now that Bentley is thrown in the mix as a replacement for Fowler let me clarify that I was only wondering if Datish would be a good depth player for a back up role who could be developed. There is no comparison between Bentley and Datish. Bentley is well established and expensive and Datish is very raw but super cheap. I'm just wondering if the Bills will take a look at him as a prospect with potential.

And he also may never be even close to the player he was before after suffering 2 injuries that could have been career threatening. Bentley pre-injury no doubt would be a great move for Buffalo to bring in to improve the line, Bentley post injury is taking a huge chance because theres no knowing if he can get back to that same level.

The Falcon's OC is Meat Head. So Datish couldn't make on that team.

I'd love for the Bills to take a chance on LeCharles Bentley. He was outstanding not all that long ago. If he can come back 80 percent from his injuries, he can beat out Fowler.

Only if the price is right or there are "health" laden clauses in the contract.