Is this the LONGEST off season EVER????

Acantha

I need bands!

I need a bunch of young drunk college kids making fools of themselves and rushing the field for no reason!

I need 70 yard completions, missed extra points, trick plays, and triple overtimes!!!

Where the hell is college football??

It's almost here.

This year, since I will have the time, the College Football forum will be a lot more active. Some of the things I have in mind:

Previews of major conferences

Player rankings

Weekly sleepers (teams and players)

and, of course, my weekly previews (pre-game) and reviews (post-game) of some of the top matchups of the college football week.

It's gonna be fun!

We should get some people to write up a preview for the conferences that follow those conferences pretty closely. For instance, I could do the Big 12, smokin could do the Pac 10, etc.

Good idea! I can do the SEC.

College football needs to start. Funny thing is I can sit there with interest and watch a college game between two small schools, but I can't watch a whole NFL game unless the Bills are playing. That's how much I love college football!

My tailgating crew has spent nearly $2,500 for new tailgating equipment for this season, and it's time to get back in the parking lots.

We should get some people to write up a preview for the conferences that follow those conferences pretty closely. For instance, I could do the Big 12, smokin could do the Pac 10, etc.

College football needs to start. Funny thing is I can sit there with interest and watch a college game between two small schools, but I can't watch a whole NFL game unless the Bills are playing. That's how much I love college football!

My tailgating crew has spent nearly $2,500 for new tailgating equipment for this season, and it's time to get back in the parking lots.

Actually fellas, I've been working on this already, as I have pledged to do a lot more for this forum for the upcoming season.

Then again, another viewpoint might not hurt. Tell ya what; write up something and PM it to me. Then, I'll mesh it w/ my stuff and post it as a collaborative effort. Teamwork!

I bought the 2007 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl DVD between Boise state and Oklahoma and have watched it about 30 times, and I am a Michigan fan. I Love college football and can't wait. Tailgating with you guys must be fun :thumbsup:

Same with me. Over the years I went from Gator fan, to SEC fan, to anything College football fan.

I also think that's why these off-seasons are getting longer. I used to love the NFL. I'd watch, listen, and read everything I could get my hands on. So back then, I was all about the start of the NFL season, and the start of college ball was like a nice early preview.

Now I only watch the Bills (when I can actually get the game), and watch every college game I can manage to see (between watching live and TIVO it's getting to be a bit ridiculous!).

I'd write up a Gator report, but "2008/2009 National Champions" should really just about cover it.

:D

Actually fellas, I've been working on this already, as I have pledged to do a lot more for this forum for the upcoming season.

Then again, another viewpoint might not hurt. Tell ya what; write up something and PM it to me. Then, I'll mesh it w/ my stuff and post it as a collaborative effort. Teamwork!

Can't wait to read your reports! I didn't get ESPN Insider this year (first time in a while) and I'm in a bit of withdrawal. It's crap for a lot of things, but they have a lot of college football write-ups this time of year.

Same with me. Over the years I went from Gator fan, to SEC fan, to anything College football fan.

I also think that's why these off-seasons are getting longer. I used to love the NFL. I'd watch, listen, and read everything I could get my hands on. So back then, I was all about the start of the NFL season, and the start of college ball was like a nice early preview.

Now I only watch the Bills (when I can actually get the game), and watch every college game I can manage to see (between watching live and TIVO it's getting to be a bit ridiculous!).

I'd write up a Gator report, but "2008/2009 National Champions" should really just about cover it.

:D

Yeah, you and I are alot alike. NFL games are usually just background noise in my house unless the Bills are actually showing on local television.

I have always loved LSU and went to games, but 15 years ago I was a huge NFL/Bills fan too. I even started a small Bills Backers club here in South Louisiana with a couple members. Used to travel the short drive to a New Orleans sports bar/restaurant to watch the Bills on a large screen.

After I got married and got some bills paid off, I found myself able to get season tickets for LSU and since then, that's where all my time, money, and devotion goes. I still like the Bills and try and keep up with them, but I'm not going to go out of my way to watch them anymore unless they are shown locally on television because I'm usually to preoccupied, or just hung over from a long day of tailgating and LSU game from the day before. For the 2005 season, we ended up attending every game, home and away, so I spent many Sunday's travelling back from the road games.

Yeah, you and I are alot alike. NFL games are usually just background noise in my house unless the Bills are actually showing on local television.

I have always loved LSU and went to games, but 15 years ago I was a huge NFL/Bills fan too. I even started a small Bills Backers club here in South Louisiana with a couple members. Used to travel the short drive to a New Orleans sports bar/restaurant to watch the Bills on a large screen.

After I got married and got some bills paid off, I found myself able to get season tickets for LSU and since then, that's where all my time, money, and devotion goes. I still like the Bills and try and keep up with them, but I'm not going to go out of my way to watch them anymore unless they are shown locally on television because I'm usually to preoccupied, or just hung over from a long day of tailgating and LSU game from the day before. For the 2005 season, we ended up attending every game, home and away, so I spent many Sunday's travelling back from the road games.

Every college season I always wish I still lived in FL so I could go to the games. For now I have season tickets to the Warriors....so I get a fix that way. But from tailgating to the actual game, it's no SEC, that's for damn sure.

Every college season I always wish I still lived in FL so I could go to the games. For now I have season tickets to the Warriors....so I get a fix that way. But from tailgating to the actual game, it's no SEC, that's for damn sure.

The last few years I have been drifting more & more towards the college game. I think I actually like it better then the NFL. I still love watching/going to all the bills games, but there is nothing like hunkerring down in my basement around noon on saturdays in the fall, watching a full day of college football. I love it. I do not know if you guys get this already, but the College Game plan & the sports pack is a great deal for Direct TV if your a college football fan. The game plan gives you up to 13-14 additional games every week & the sports pack give you late pac 10 & big 12 games that you would normally not see at least in WNY. I am going to buy the Athlon College Preview after work today & I am going to start reading up on the teams. I do not know if you guys bet on the games or not, but I do, & the Athlon Book is like the Bible to me, at least in the early part of the season. I got an early line on Utah plus 5 against Michigan in the Big house opening week. I think UM is going to be bad this year, I mean they may not win 4 games all year. I love Utah with the points. They should win the game outright.

Same here.

Same here.

i have 1 more season of freebies. This upcoming fall will be my last at FSU. Of course, my 5 years here were during some of the shittiest times, go figure. :) I think smokingandjokin ran into the same thing at USC. He left, and they tuned around. I cant be blamed for this however. Jeff Bowden was hired long before i got here in '03.

i have 1 more season of freebies. This upcoming fall will be my last at FSU. Of course, my 5 years here were during some of the shittiest times, go figure. :) I think smokingandjokin ran into the same thing at USC. He left, and they tuned around. I cant be blamed for this however. Jeff Bowden was hired long before i got here in '03.

I got down to Tally in summer of 2001 and was there until January 2003, so I feel your pain. I had hoped that leaving Tally in 2003 was bring about an immediate turn of luck for the Noles, but no dice.

I got down to Tally in summer of 2001 and was there until January 2003, so I feel your pain. I had hoped that leaving Tally in 2003 was bring about an immediate turn of luck for the Noles, but no dice.

Perhaps they need to boot the old geezer out & then maybe their luck will change? :)

Perhaps they need to boot the old geezer out & then maybe their luck will change? :)

They're working on it - Jimbo Fisher is the announced coach-in-waiting - and I think that despite his objections, Bobby really wants to retire with that record and is just hoping that JoePa decides to go soon as well.

I think a big problem was that the coaching staff changed -- they lost Richt to Georgia and Amato to NC State -- and there wasn't enough of a challenge brought against the idea of promoting his overwhelmingly under qualified son as the OC. Then, as the team's offensive struggles mounted year-after-year, Bobby took criticisms of the offense as personal attacks against himself and his family, rather than what they were - criticism of the offense, the strategy, etc., and he dug in his heels and challenged people to force him to make a change.

They're working on it - Jimbo Fisher is the announced coach-in-waiting - and I think that despite his objections, Bobby really wants to retire with that record and is just hoping that JoePa decides to go soon as well.

I think a big problem was that the coaching staff changed -- they lost Richt to Georgia and Amato to NC State -- and there wasn't enough of a challenge brought against the idea of promoting his overwhelmingly under qualified son as the OC. Then, as the team's offensive struggles mounted year-after-year, Bobby took criticisms of the offense as personal attacks against himself and his family, rather than what they were - criticism of the offense, the strategy, etc., and he dug in his heels and challenged people to force him to make a change.

You nailed it head on. And thats the problem with nepotism. There were harsh critics of the offense, but Bobby took that as criticizing his kid and not his OC as he should have. And no one on the team/staff would stand up to him. Jeff Smith gets fired in '03 or '04 at the latest, not december of 2006.

Fisher is the coach-in-waiting, and he's got his hands all over the offense. Bobby might offer some input into the overall direction or gameplan, but everything else is fisher. I agree with you that bobby is simply trying to out-wait JoePa. The bigger change when bobby leaves will be on the defense. Mickey Andrews is on the verge of retirement and almost did so this year. he'll leave when bobby does at the latest. This makes you wonder if Fisher will clean house on the D side or if they'll promote someone like Amato to DC. I'm betting on the house cleaning. Amato has been around awhile. We lost the DC in waiting last season when Kevin Steele jumped ship to 'bama with that homo nick saban.

Yeah, there was a lot to be disappointed in over the last few years, not the least of which was Bobby tarnishing his image and legacy by becoming bitter and petulant with the Jeffy situation. You're absolutely right, a non-Bowden gets fired three years into that offense, he doesn't get to 2006 and then get a golden parachute buyout.

Losing Steele to 'Bama pissed me off, the McPherson and Xavier Lee clusterfuggs, Fred Rouse stealing from his teammates (I hear Rouse is at FAMU now) and the general lack of accountability from the coaching staff for anything that went wrong during games. There was a lot of blame thrown at the players and a lot of players thrown under the bus in postgame interviews, something that really shocked and disappointed me.

FWIW, there was a good interview with Lorenzo Booker a couple weeks ago in a Philly paper where he spilled the beans on Jeffy's offensive meetings, how he never accepted any responsibility for the o's struggles, how he had no cohesive gameplan or strategy, etc. I'll try to find the link.

EDIT: Found the link. He later clarified his comments about the school and Tally, but you could tell he's still a little bitter about the whole Jeff Bowden issue.

From an outsider looking in I do actually watch quite a few Florida State games. Here is my take. For the last 4-5 years I have seen FSU become undiciplined, uncoachable team. What strikes me is odd is that I think both of you could agree in the 90s, FSU was the leader on the cutting edge of offensive schemes. They were the first to go no huddle with Ward, first to spread out the O & make the D cover the whole part of the field. I know they lost some quality coordinators but I have to assume, & maybe Iam wrong that Bowden had to have his hand in the offense a little. I find it hard to believe that Bowden refuses or is not smart enough to change with the times. I said this once on the board & I got ridiculed but Bowden & Jo Pa have not done their schools any favors by sticking around this long. The game has past both of them by & they are bringing their programs down with it. Both programs will not return to the glory days until both men step down. In fact I will go as far to say that FSU, will have a tough time winning 6-7 games this year.

There is no reason in the world that FSU & Miami should not dominate the ACC pretty much every year in football. Most of the schools passion in that conference is basketball & they have their claws into the best recruiting region(florida) in probably the whole country. For some reason, both of those programs have struggled the last few years & the only thing I could blame this on is the men running the show at the top.

Regarding the Booker situation, they talked about it on the radio, and Jeff Cameron (you listen to him BM?) was fully on booker's side, and in not so many words, basically said that there were other player reports of the same thing happening. Jeff Bowden not taking any responsibility, not taking control, not having a coherent plan. In fact, there was one player that told Cameron that they had no substitution pattern on offense, and that the players subbed out when they wanted to. That pissed booker off, because they told o one particular instance when Booker wasnt on the field at the end of a close loss, and Bowden's response was that the other guy on the field didnt take himself out. All of tallahassee is glad that jeff bowden is gone.

To gordio, The FSU offense began its down turn with Mark Richt leaving for UGA and the promotion of Jeff Bowden. He really was that bad and Bobby wouldnt do anything to step in and change things. Bobby's been delegating on the offense for years. But delegating to jeff was a horrible decision. Theres been a change in philsophy down here since Jimbo arrived. The offense is run differently. There's a direction and an accountability. They've showed the ability to change on the fly when needed. Now we need to restock the talent. The past few down seasons and the overall parity on college football have depleted our talent, but its back on the rise. This year's class is Fisher's first where he had a full recruiting season to use. There's supposed ot be some real good talent coming in. The program is back on its way up. It still may take another year or 2 before we get back to the very top, but we'll get there. This program has too much history and prestige not to.

As for this season, the opening games will be rough, with the suspensions (hence the reason we scheduled some 1-AA teams), but we've the (high end) possibility to win 10 games. I'd be happy with 9 as well. 8-4 is ok, provided we win the bowl game. Less than 8 wins is unacceptable.

The biggest wildcard for FSU will be their very young offensive line. They have enough talent at the skill positions to get 8 wins - their schedule isn't too bad this year, and they could easily be 5-1 at the 6-game-mark. They open with Western Carolina, Chattanooga, Wake Forest, Colorado, Miami and NC State. Their three toughest ACC games are all at home - Clemson, Va. Tech and Wake Forest - and I see them at 8-5 or maybe, if things are fall into place, 9-4.

Ramius I do occasionally check in and listen to Cameron but usually more often during football season, so I didn't hear all his comments on the Booker interview, but I have heard him, in the past, mention similar things that's he's heard from other players and sources.

Regarding the Booker situation, they talked about it on the radio, and Jeff Cameron (you listen to him BM?) was fully on booker's side, and in not so many words, basically said that there were other player reports of the same thing happening. Jeff Bowden not taking any responsibility, not taking control, not having a coherent plan. In fact, there was one player that told Cameron that they had no substitution pattern on offense, and that the players subbed out when they wanted to. That pissed booker off, because they told o one particular instance when Booker wasnt on the field at the end of a close loss, and Bowden's response was that the other guy on the field didnt take himself out. All of tallahassee is glad that jeff bowden is gone.

To gordio, The FSU offense began its down turn with Mark Richt leaving for UGA and the promotion of Jeff Bowden. He really was that bad and Bobby wouldnt do anything to step in and change things. Bobby's been delegating on the offense for years. But delegating to jeff was a horrible decision. Theres been a change in philsophy down here since Jimbo arrived. The offense is run differently. There's a direction and an accountability. They've showed the ability to change on the fly when needed. Now we need to restock the talent. The past few down seasons and the overall parity on college football have depleted our talent, but its back on the rise. This year's class is Fisher's first where he had a full recruiting season to use. There's supposed ot be some real good talent coming in. The program is back on its way up. It still may take another year or 2 before we get back to the very top, but we'll get there. This program has too much history and prestige not to.

As for this season, the opening games will be rough, with the suspensions (hence the reason we scheduled some 1-AA teams), but we've the (high end) possibility to win 10 games. I'd be happy with 9 as well. 8-4 is ok, provided we win the bowl game. Less than 8 wins is unacceptable.

Clemson is the team to beat in the ACC this year. They have top 10 talent. My guess is with Clemson though is that they will do what they do every year & lose 2-3 games they have no business losing. FSU, I believe has them in Tally, so I do not see why they could not beat them if they are on top of their game. Virginia Tech will be tough as usual, probably win 10 games or so, Miami is another team that will be tough. The one darkhorse to watch out for is Maryland. I believe they return 17 or 18 starters & they were not that bad last year. The rest of the conference I do not think is going to be very good. If they get a couple early breaks, FSU could make the ACC Championship.

You're right about Clemson - they always lose a couple games they should win, and that has to fall on Little Bowden. Tommy's teams have always managed to lose a couple they should win.

Maryland - I don't know. We always hear about Big Ralphie, how he's got these great recruits/upperclassmen, etc., and it seems like it's either feast or famine for them. He's had four good-to-great seasons - 10-2, 11-3, 10-3 (his first three years) and a 9-4 mark in 2006 -- but has also had three sub-.500 years (5-6, 5-6 in 2004 and 2005, and 6-7 last year.)

Va Tech is always tough, and Wake has been tougher in recent years.

I dont buy into the clemson hype at all. they'll probably do what they usually do, start 7-1 and finish the season 8-4. Va Tech will be a force to be reckoned with as usual, and Wake is supposed to be decent this year. With miami, they're in the same boat as FSU. Not sure what you're going to get, but they should be able to threaten for 7-8 wins.

My pick for surprise team this season that could make a 3 game jump in the standings? UNC.

I dont buy into the clemson hype at all. they'll probably do what they usually do, start 7-1 and finish the season 8-4. Va Tech will be a force to be reckoned with as usual, and Wake is supposed to be decent this year. With miami, they're in the same boat as FSU. Not sure what you're going to get, but they should be able to threaten for 7-8 wins.

My pick for surprise team this season that could make a 3 game jump in the standings? UNC.

Butch Davis is going to make a world of difference there, and if he recruits well he is going to hurt NC State and Clemson.

Hey, knock it the fug off!

Gone for two days and my thread gets hijacked by friggin state fans. :pirate:

Don't MAKE me delete this thing!!!

Sorry there arent more gator fans on here. But thats because most of the toothless redneck trash of central florida dont have internet access in their trailer.

Sorry there arent more gator fans on here. But thats because most of the toothless redneck trash of central florida dont have internet access in their trailer.

Yeah, as opposed to the toothless redneck trash 2 hours up the road.

Yeah, as opposed to the toothless redneck trash 2 hours up the road.

:thumbsup:

The best i've ever seen was this February at the Bud Shootout in daytona. Guy walking in work boots, 80's length cutoff jean shorts, a wife beater tucked into those shorts, and a gator cap on. Thats pretty much the typical gator fan down here in florida (not counting UF students and faculty).

Of course, the best type of gator fan to make fun are the ones attending FSU.My buddy in FSU med school has a ton of gators in his class. We make fun of them because they were all too stupid to get into UF med school.

:unsure:

The best i've ever seen was this February at the Bud Shootout in daytona. Guy walking in work boots, 80's length cutoff jean shorts, a wife beater tucked into those shorts, and a gator cap on. Thats pretty much the typical gator fan down here in florida (not counting UF students and faculty).

Of course, the best type of gator fan to make fun are the ones attending FSU.My buddy in FSU med school has a ton of gators in his class. We make fun of them because they were all too stupid to get into UF med school.

Just picked up the Athlon College Preview book. They have the gators their #1 team. SEC looks loaded as usual. Florida, LSU & Georgia all in the top 10. FSU is at a respectable #26. They have UB @ #92. I have been buying this book for probably 5yrs now(it is great handicapper to get you thru the 1st few weeks of the college football season) & this is the first time they have had UB crack the top 100.

I know this upcoming season could be a good one (by recent standards) or a long one for us FSU fans, but for the first offseason in the last few years I actually feel good about the direction of the program. Bobby is on his way out, Jimbo is the HC-in-waiting and last season's new coaches have a year under their belts, they're recruiting tougher kids on the offensive side of the ball...

Just picked up the Athlon College Preview book. They have the gators their #1 team. SEC looks loaded as usual. Florida, LSU & Georgia all in the top 10. FSU is at a respectable #26. They have UB @ #92. I have been buying this book for probably 5yrs now(it is great handicapper to get you thru the 1st few weeks of the college football season) & this is the first time they have had UB crack the top 100.

putting my anti-florida bias aside, UGA is the team to beat in the SEC, if not the nation, not UF.

FSU got some bad news yesterday when we found out that our starting LG is out for the season with a blood clot in his leg. I hope the kid is alright, and thats a big blow to the OL. We didnt have a ton of experienced OL depth to begin with and this certainly doesnt help.

FSU at #26 seems reasonable. Where is the rest of the ACC ranked?

putting my anti-florida bias aside, UGA is the team to beat in the SEC, if not the nation, not UF.

FSU got some bad news yesterday when we found out that our starting LG is out for the season with a blood clot in his leg. I hope the kid is alright, and thats a big blow to the OL. We didnt have a ton of experienced OL depth to begin with and this certainly doesnt help.

FSU at #26 seems reasonable. Where is the rest of the ACC ranked?

They had Clemson @ 10, VT @ 21, WF @ 24, Mary @ 42, Miami @ 43, BC @ 44, GT @ 56, NC State @ 57, Virginia @ 67 & Duke @ 80.

Interesting, Clemson opens up with Alabama, which I thought was in Death Valley but they are actually playing that game in Atlanta. They should win but with a neutral crowd & a decent Alabama team, it is not going to be easy.

As far as Georgia, they do say as far as talent they probably have the most returning talent in the country. They give the nod to Florida because Georgia's schedule is absolutely brutal. Got to travel to South carolina, Auburn & LSU in a 4 week span plus they play Florida in Jacksonville.

Warchant.com's owner/operator/FSU beat writer says ESPN (and I assume other media) jumped the gun, and that his team sources say he may come back this season. I've worked with Gene, and he's pretty reliable and usually very accurate about these things.

As far as Georgia, they do say as far as talent they probably have the most returning talent in the country. They give the nod to Florida because Georgia's schedule is absolutely brutal. Got to travel to South carolina, Auburn & LSU in a 4 week span plus they play Florida in Jacksonville.

Last year I picked Georgia to win that one, this year I pick FL. Everyone is riding Georgia's play at the end of last year into this season. I think that at the end of last season Georgia was playing better football than anyone in the country (including LSU), but FL is going to be tough this year. I think Georgia and FL are #1 and 2 going into the season. I probably give Georgia the nod in week 1, but FL will get their feet under them and be able to take them out by the time they play.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.