Scouts Inc. Fantasy O-Line rankings

I was not being facetious at all about Jauron. He inherited a HORRIBLE team, one that is the NCAA Division I equivalent of not being fully funded and in a major conference. He was put in a position that is not competitive, and nearly finished .500 twice. We have a bunch of babies on the field, and they aren't exactly ready for prime time. I feel our coaching staff has worked as best as they can to put the players into proper position, but they don't really know how to finish and make plays yet.

Now call me negative because I don't think we will match last year's record, but I feel that this team can and will make a quantum leap forward this season, although I don't think it will translate into wins. Compare it to the coach that recruits all freshmen who is competing against a bunch of talented JUCO transfers on other teams. For a few seasons, the freshmen will get their clocks cleaned by the more experienced teams, but will gel into a cohesive unit over time. After they gain experience together, that team will run through walls for each other, and that eventually will translate into wins.

Dick Jauron is the quintessential delegator and very good motivator. The problem is he's been forced to put a bunch of backups on the field (sometimes prior to injuries) and been very thin at some positions because of horrible moves made before his arrival. I still think we are at least 2-3 seasons away from doing a heck of a lot, but we may contend for a wildcard next season.

Complain about not making playoffs, but I love this stage of team building- it makes it that much more fun when you can see them slowly improve. Our stars have a long way to go.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barring massive injuries again, I don't see the team going any worse than 9-7, much less 7-9 or worse.

OK, but we have a very inexperienced QB, the center position is very weak. Who is our #2 wideout- would you really put a rookie out there? How much have our RB's improved in blitz pickup? How good will our fullbacks be?

Thats just offensively- will Stroud be fully recovered? Beyond our #3 DT, is there anyone? Our secondary is deep now, but is it any good?

OK, now thats some of our issues- both New York and Miami had down years. New York is 2 seasons removed from playoffs and Miami would do better even with last years' roster just based on bad breaks. Miami was near the top of the league in yards per rush and has improved their offensive line in the offseason

OK, but we have a very inexperienced QB, the center position is very weak. Who is our #2 wideout- would you really put a rookie out there? How much have our RB's improved in blitz pickup? How good will our fullbacks be?

Thats just offensively- will Stroud be fully recovered? Beyond our #3 DT, is there anyone? Our secondary is deep now, but is it any good?

OK, now thats some of our issues- both New York and Miami had down years. New York is 2 seasons removed from playoffs and Miami would do better even with last years' roster just based on bad breaks. Miami was near the top of the league in yards per rush and has improved their offensive line in the offseason

I've gone over this elsewhere. Instead of rehashing this, let me ask you, where do you think the Bills got worse over the off-season? Who did they lose of any significance? Who did they gain? What effect did the injuries last year have on the team? Do you think that the rookies last year gained any valuable experience?

When answer the above questions, the Bills as I said should be no worse than 9-7. That might not be enough for the playoffs, but it will be an improvement record-wise.

I've gone over this elsewhere. Instead of rehashing this, let me ask you, where do you think the Bills got worse over the off-season? Who did they lose of any significance? Who did they gain? What effect did the injuries last year have on the team? Do you think that the rookies last year gained any valuable experience?

When answer the above questions, the Bills as I said should be no worse than 9-7. That might not be enough for the playoffs, but it will be an improvement record-wise.

I still think we are horrendous at WR and inexperienced at QB. Edwards will probably have growing pains, but I am fine with that. I think we will be happy with the team's progression at season's end- whether the record is better or not.

I still think we are horrendous at WR and inexperienced at QB. Edwards will probably have growing pains, but I am fine with that. I think we will be happy with the team's progression at season's end- whether the record is better or not.

The Bills are no worse at QB or WR than they were last year, and are arguably better. They're also better on defense. The Fins should be better, but they still won't be able to beat the Bills. The Jets might split. And I can see the Bills winning the season-ender against the Cheaters.

The Bills are no worse at QB or WR than they were last year, and are arguably better. They're also better on defense. The Fins should be better, but they still won't be able to beat the Bills. The Jets might split. And I can see the Bills winning the season-ender against the Cheaters.

Just remember- we are better on paper, but things seldom work out that way. I think the Dolphins will be a tough game- remember how long it took to put them away last year. Much like us, they aren't good but can be dangerous

Just remember- we are better on paper, but things seldom work out that way. I think the Dolphins will be a tough game- remember how long it took to put them away last year. Much like us, they aren't good but can be dangerous

I'm not overly concerned with the Fins. They have a new/rookie HC again, mostly new coaches, and will be going with a 3-4, likely without Jason Taylor.

I was not being facetious at all about Jauron. He inherited a HORRIBLE team, one that is the NCAA Division I equivalent of not being fully funded and in a major conference. He was put in a position that is not competitive, and nearly finished .500 twice. We have a bunch of babies on the field, and they aren't exactly ready for prime time. I feel our coaching staff has worked as best as they can to put the players into proper position, but they don't really know how to finish and make plays yet.

Now call me negative because I don't think we will match last year's record, but I feel that this team can and will make a quantum leap forward this season, although I don't think it will translate into wins. Compare it to the coach that recruits all freshmen who is competing against a bunch of talented JUCO transfers on other teams. For a few seasons, the freshmen will get their clocks cleaned by the more experienced teams, but will gel into a cohesive unit over time. After they gain experience together, that team will run through walls for each other, and that eventually will translate into wins.

Dick Jauron is the quintessential delegator and very good motivator. The problem is he's been forced to put a bunch of backups on the field (sometimes prior to injuries) and been very thin at some positions because of horrible moves made before his arrival. I still think we are at least 2-3 seasons away from doing a heck of a lot, but we may contend for a wildcard next season.

Complain about not making playoffs, but I love this stage of team building- it makes it that much more fun when you can see them slowly improve. Our stars have a long way to go.

ZZZzzzzzzz.......

True. But as with every team, the passing game will hinge around the arm, decision making, and adjusting of the QB.

Say what you want about Edwards, but I saw very little in the way of his ability to adapt to much different than the kid gloves treatment that the team put him in last year. So we'll see, but if he struggles to get the ball to the WRs, it's all moot.

Reed is more of a slot guy, so his production will likely improve if Edwards shows anything. Hardy should start.

Fair enough, and for the record, I see your points. I really do. And I understand the mob mentality that goes on as well. You certainly are a reasonable poster and I respect your view point, though I don't necessarily agree with it. As to Hardy, I do agree with you to some extent. I don't think he is going to have a "MONSTER" season of say 80-1100-12 or anything like that. I do think he could have something in the range of 40-650-6, which would help the offense. It isn't his sheer "awesomeness" that I think is going to help the passing game. His size allows him to be a big problem for defenses in the redzone and over the middle. If nothing else, that should help Evans on some plays to get single coverage looks. If Josh reed and Hardy can combine for 90 catches, which I think is possible, if not a bit optimistic, they should be enough together to get Evans some help. Like I said, I don't see us going from last to top ten in one year. I do think that there is enough offensive talent to get us into the mid 20s, say which keeps us competitive week in and week out. This is NOT going to be one of those GREAT seasons in team history, but, we could make a 10-6 mark and potentially sneak into the final wildcard spot with a bit of luck.

I don't share your vision of a 10-6 mark, otherwise we are in agreement pretty much.

I don't think that we will score nearly enough to reach that and the teams we play this year, many of the easier ones, do have decent Os.

stop with the free pass for Jauron

the current regime (which is also the old regime in terms of talent acquisition) voluntarily chose to gut the team of whatever vet talent they had. Players like Willis, Malloy, spikes, etc may not have fit the long term plan, but they were let go too soon and for too little instead of transitioning to the new regime. Sure it was an option, but now don't come back and say they had no talent. If they are going to cut loose all the vets, they had better have a plan to replace the missing pieces - which they are still struggling to do.

They voluntarily chose to make it much harder than it had to be.

They did it to buy themselves a lot of time. We are 3 years into this rebuild with no real clear path to the playoffs.

the current regime (which is also the old regime in terms of talent acquisition) voluntarily chose to gut the team of whatever vet talent they had. Players like Willis, Malloy, spikes, etc may not have fit the long term plan, but they were let go too soon and for too little instead of transitioning to the new regime. Sure it was an option, but now don't come back and say they had no talent. If they are going to cut loose all the vets, they had better have a plan to replace the missing pieces - which they are still struggling to do.

They did it to buy themselves a lot of time. We are 3 years into this rebuild with no real clear path to the playoffs.

You really believe that? Man, you're a cynical S.O.B.

You have got to be kidding me. Dick Jauron is a very good motivator???? How did the Bills do when they play the actual good teams in the league? They got blow away. How did they do when they played in crunch time those last three games? They looked like a team that cared more about being chilly, than a team looking to smack somebody in the mouth. That is total garbage and I can not sit by and let you perpetuate this "very good motivator" myth that somehow Dick Jauron fooled people into using it as a description for him. If Jauron's team is playing a bad team then the Bills are motivated, that's great news! Not so good news though when you are facing the good teams and games when the season is on the line. That Dallas game was the only one were you would have a point, but one game does not equate to being a "very good motivator". Plus, that game had a heck of a lot more to do with the crowd then Jauron's motivational skills. Sorry, but that's my opinion.

You have got to be kidding me. Dick Jauron is a very good motivator???? How did the Bills do when they play the actual good teams in the league? They got blow away. How did they do when they played in crunch time those last three games? They looked like a team that cared more about being chilly, than a team looking to smack somebody in the mouth. That is total garbage and I can not sit by and let you perpetuate this "very good motivator" myth that somehow Dick Jauron fooled people into using it as a description for him. If Jauron's team is playing a bad team then the Bills are motivated, that's great news! Not so good news though when you are facing the good teams and games when the season is on the line. That Dallas game was the only one were you would have a point, but one game does not equate to being a "very good motivator". Plus, that game had a heck of a lot more to do with the crowd then Jauron's motivational skills. Sorry, but that's my opinion.

The crowd? You absolutely have to be kidding me! Yes, the Bills will win or at least play well and lose because a bunch hand clapping, drinking fools. Talent and coaching really has nothing to do with it.....the fans will them into the proper position to make plays. The fans should be paid to coach the team. Fans are wonderful and should rule the world........

Excellent post.

They also came in announcing that they were not rebuilding and don't forget Levy's exclamation accompanying that that "the future is now!" He said they weren't rebuilding, but then after one season of lackluster performance, they decided to rebuild anyway. In the meantime they could have traded Clements instead of just seeing him walk.

Otherwise you're absolutely correct. In short, they had and still have no plan. They just keep bringing guys in often in spots where they already have starters over spots where they don't.

Yes, Dick Jauron is a huge question mark for this team. He got a "pass" the past 2 seasons due to lack of talent and injuries. We'll see what he's made of this year. Will he have his team ready to play at the opening bell of the season? Will he continue to push his "play not to lose" agenda on offense? Will Turk prove to be a good choice as OC after not interviewing a single outside candidate? Will he make in-game decisions that make a positive difference?

Dallas Game:

Two defensive scores and a STs score.

Total Net Yards: Dallas 385, Buffalo 229

Offensive Points: Dallas 13, Buffalo 0

Defensive Points: Dallas 0, Buffalo 14

STs Points: Dallas 12 (3 FGs), Bills 10 (1 FG, 1 KR/TD)

Total 1st Downs: Dallas 24, Bills 14

3rd Downs: Dallas 9-of-15 (60%), Bills 3-of-13 (23%)

Sacks Sustained: Dallas 0, Bills 3 for 28 yards

Time of Possession: Dallas 27:29, Bills 32:31

The Bills were prepared in this game? For what?

Keep in mind that Dallas logged all of that in spite of 6 TOs. What would have happened if they had had 0 TOs? What, 800 net yards? The game would have been as lopsided as the Pats game in Buffalo.

Our offense was pathetic in that game. KR/TDs are utterly unpredictable and as likely to occur in any game and are not planned as such. You practice special teams and hope you get them when it matters. It sort of did in this case as we would have been out of the game much earlier if we hadn't gotten it despite the notion that we lost.

And why did we lose? We ran 23 plays and had 79 net yards in the 2nd half? This was good? The team was prepared?

Whatever. If that was prepared, it certainly explains a lot of the beliefs here.

D and STs TDs are unpredictable and cannot be relied upon. It was fortunate that we got them in this game as it would be fortunate for any team anytime to log one or two in one game much less three. We got three D TDs and two STs TDs all season and three of the five came in that game.

Now how strongly does anyone feel that we will get three combo TDs in any single game this season, pre, regular, or post season?

We got our a$$e$ handed to us in that game and were lucky to even be in it. We had no O whatsoever and couldn't stop the Dallas O in spite of getting help from 6 TOs as they posted almost 400 net yards, well beyond the league average otherwise. If we were good and had played a good game, with 6 TOs we should have held Dallas to less than 250 net yards and 16 points easily. Easily.

Otherwise, if we play like that in all 16 games this year, barring getting 21 points from the D and STs in each game, we'll set the 0-16 record. Easily.

Yes, Dick Jauron is a huge question mark for this team. He got a "pass" the past 2 seasons due to lack of talent and injuries. We'll see what he's made of this year. Will he have his team ready to play at the opening bell of the season? Will he continue to push his "play not to lose" agenda on offense? Will Turk prove to be a good choice as OC after not interviewing a single outside candidate? Will he make in-game decisions that make a positive difference?

Will he have his team ready to play at the opening bell of the season?

He's 2-5 on opening day and 6-17 in September. Of course none of that has to do with him.

Will he continue to push his "play not to lose" agenda on offense?

His job is on the line as is his support from the fans. What do you think. (rhetorical)

As a follow-on question, suppose he's faced with a decision that is best for the team next year and down the road but one that if he opts for it likely means losses this season, what do you think he will do?

Will Turk prove to be a good choice as OC after not interviewing a single outside candidate? Will he make in-game decisions that make a positive difference?

Has he been successful as a QB coach? What's his track record there? Has he demonstrated that he understands the game, not from a closed system perspective as if we were to sit down with him, but more than the DCs that he will be attempting to outstrategize? Will there be a learning curve there? If so, how steep? What qualifies him to have gotten this position other than the fact that he was "within the organization?" Will this simply be more of the same or will this hiring finally actually make a difference?

To critics of those critical of Jauron and Schonert, these are the kinds of questions that the organization should ask before making their choices for coaches instead of us sitting here doing it. They should address those as well in their hiring process. Fairchild at least came here with three years of experience. Schonert has none, hasn't even been consistently employed in the NFL, and has pretty much held one role in which he hasn't even shone, QB coach.

Excellent post.

They also came in announcing that they were not rebuilding and don't forget Levy's exclamation accompanying that that "the future is now!" He said they weren't rebuilding, but then after one season of lackluster performance, they decided to rebuild anyway. In the meantime they could have traded Clements instead of just seeing him walk.

Otherwise you're absolutely correct. In short, they had and still have no plan. They just keep bringing guys in often in spots where they already have starters over spots where they don't.

They said we aren't rebuilding so that the sheep will continue to buy tickets and merchandise. Anyone watching could see that we were rebuilding. When people want to see Roscoe Parrish as a bigger part of the offense, the team is hurting talent wise. Nobody ever called for Don Edwards to be a bigger part of the offense!