Car insurance question

JoeFerguson

This is just 100% BS. Is there a small possibility it will effect his rates? Perhaps, if he has recently filed a large number of claims, had several tickets, etc, this could be the straw that breaks the camels back, so to speak. But to say this WILL cause a rate adjustment is nonsense without knowing any other factors.

Agree 100%

This is just 100% BS. Is there a small possibility it will effect his rates? Perhaps, if he has recently filed a large number of claims, had several tickets, etc, this could be the straw that breaks the camels back, so to speak. But to say this WILL cause a rate adjustment is nonsense without knowing any other factors.

Agree 100%

really? 100% bs??? tell me why my customers and some of my associates customers through other carriers are having the custumer index change in a negative way for non-chargable claims........

allstate calls it an elite number, but that is not the company i am connected to.

i've had customers with 1 comp claim(usually glass) made in the past 5 years see jumps in premium due to this, as have other agents for other companies

I'd be really, really careful before filing a claim. Once there is a claim, its not going away, and will probably affect your rates. They may not go up, but if you were entitled to drop down a level on your next renewal, now you've got a claim and you won't drop down.

I had an accident a few years ago where I wasn't at fault. But I didn't get the insurance of the other guy right away (had to wait for the police report, because the guy was blaming me and the cop told me not to talk to him.) So, I called my insurance company right away, but eventually everything was fixed by the other guy's insurance. So, there was a claim on my record for $0.00.

So a few months ago, I moved back to Buffalo and was trying to get insurance. Geico quoted me a very low rate, so I went through all the steps, put my credit card in and hit "buy". Then their site comes back and says "oh yeah, sorry, your rate is 30% higher". I called them to find out what gives, as this struck me as a bait-and-switch showing me one rate then charging me another. They say its because I had a claim....nothing to do with fault or amount, just the presence of one claim was enough to make the rate jump. They then refused to delete the personal information I had given them, which really put me off so they won't be getting my business any time soon (not that they really care).

Anyway, a claim _will_ affect your rates...they may not go up, but they may also not go down. If you want to change companies it could have an effect. But, if you have damage in the thousands of dollars (like you probably do)....even if you pay $200 more per year for the next 5 years, you will benefit from filing a claim and getting your car fixed.

I'd be really, really careful before filing a claim. Once there is a claim, its not going away, and will probably affect your rates. They may not go up, but if you were entitled to drop down a level on your next renewal, now you've got a claim and you won't drop down.

I had an accident a few years ago where I wasn't at fault. But I didn't get the insurance of the other guy right away (had to wait for the police report, because the guy was blaming me and the cop told me not to talk to him.) So, I called my insurance company right away, but eventually everything was fixed by the other guy's insurance. So, there was a claim on my record for $0.00.

So a few months ago, I moved back to Buffalo and was trying to get insurance. Geico quoted me a very low rate, so I went through all the steps, put my credit card in and hit "buy". Then their site comes back and says "oh yeah, sorry, your rate is 30% higher". I called them to find out what gives, as this struck me as a bait-and-switch showing me one rate then charging me another. They say its because I had a claim....nothing to do with fault or amount, just the presence of one claim was enough to make the rate jump. They then refused to delete the personal information I had given them, which really put me off so they won't be getting my business any time soon (not that they really care).

Anyway, a claim _will_ affect your rates...they may not go up, but they may also not go down. If you want to change companies it could have an effect. But, if you have damage in the thousands of dollars (like you probably do)....even if you pay $200 more per year for the next 5 years, you will benefit from filing a claim and getting your car fixed.

Too late, I already filed a claim. Taking it to the collision shop tomorrow morning to get an inspection/estimate. I hope you're not steering me wrong, Steve!

really? 100% bs??? tell me why my customers and some of my associates customers through other carriers are having the custumer index change in a negative way for non-chargable claims........

allstate calls it an elite number, but that is not the company i am connected to.

i've had customers with 1 comp claim(usually glass) made in the past 5 years see jumps in premium due to this, as have other agents for other companies

Come on Man! stevestojan knows everything about all insurance company's. Whats wrong with you!! :lol:

Like I said, each case if different and has lots of variables.

Sounds like your working with bad companies. If my client had that happen, thats when I get on the phone with an underwriter and make it right. Thats what an agents for.

Too late, I already filed a claim. Taking it to the collision shop tomorrow morning to get an inspection/estimate. I hope you're not steering me wrong, Steve!

Let's say this. Lets say this ONE COMP CLAIM makes your rates go up. (Again, I always said it MAY ... those saying it will are completely full of sh--). Lets say they go up $50 a year. Let's then say you decided to pay oop for your repairs of $5000. 100 years later, you caught up. Bravo.

When loyal2dagame says:

"really? 100% bs??? tell me why my customers and some of my associates customers through other carriers are having the custumer index change in a negative way for non-chargable claims........"

He sounds like a GEICO customer that says "Why did my rates go up? I only had one comp claim and was told it likely wouldn't affect my rates!" (Which, by the way, our call center reps are never supposed to tell people). Well, they failed to remember the 3 speeding tickets they had and the fact that they moved from Green Bay, WI to Camden, NJ.

All I am saying, again, is this. Depending on what company you are in with GEICO (we actually rate based on four separate companies), your driving history and your accident history, this may or may not effect your rates. The fact that it is a non-fault loss, especially a comp claim, greatly reduces the chances that it will have any effect.

I can't speak for the companies that loyal2dagame sells insurance for, but GEICO underwrites fairly, and if they don't people would leave. Well, we're the largest insurer in the state of NY, so I guess we're doing something right.

steve,

has gieco ever explained to you how their credit scoring works? on new business? on renewals? credit scoring is completely different from where a customer is slotted in the company.

insurance credit scoring for any company predicts the propensity to file a claim. it does not have to be at fault, could be towing for all the score cares, but it's all about propensity.

the issue with increased rates comes from the COST of claims processing.

geico may review policies insurance scores every 5 years for all i know- because i don't know what interval they do it at, but i guarentee you they do it. check with your underwriting dept. they may or may not be willing to share the info with you.

i'm not starting a p!ssing match here, just curious.

I think it will be totaled as Steve suggests.

Body repair and re-painting isn't cheap. The hood and deck lid will have to be replaced. Dents in the sheet metal above the structural stampings on those parts can't be hammered out. Well, they can - but it would take a lot of labor by a really skilled craftsman who would drill and pull the dents up, then fill in the remaining incongruities with lead and/or pewter. The various organic resins do a good job, but eventually they fail for several reasons. The number of folks that still have skills working and repairing body metal with pewter and lead is few. So it's a part replacement these days.

The roof outer skin will have to be replaced. That's cutting, re-welding, prime and topcoat painting, and a whole lot of trim disassembly and reassembly. A very major undertaking.

If you don't mind the cosmetic damage, take the settlement minus the salvage deduction and continue to drive the vehicle.

And it wasn't a crash that caused the loss. I doubt your claim would raise rates.

I know you have a lot of experience it seems in the auto finish business.

I had a 94 Taurus like 10 years ago that had that had 50-60 indentations on the roof. I had the roof glassed and re-sprayed for like $500 and it held up for 5-6 years until the car was accident totalled. So not every body work job has to be a huge expense. But I agree most are

So how did I get those dents? You know those winter days when your car gets encrusted in ice? My kid was pounding the roof with a window scraper to get the ice to break up. Everywhere he wacked the roof I got a dent

I got the estimate today. $3000 to repair the roof, hood and trunk. The hood has some cracked paint so they will also have to repaint it. The question is, should I get it fixed or should I just keep the $3000 - 500. Or maybe just have the hood fixed and pocket the difference.

Can anyone recommend a good body shop in Buffalo?

I got the estimate today. $3000 to repair the roof, hood and trunk. The hood has some cracked paint so they will also have to repaint it. The question is, should I get it fixed or should I just keep the $3000 - 500. Or maybe just have the hood fixed and pocket the difference.

???

You initially reported hood dents. Now it's just "cracked" paint? :lol:

???

You initially reported hood dents. Now it's just "cracked" paint? :lol:

There are dents from the hail on the hood, roof, and trunk. Most of the dents can be repaired using their super duper "paintless dent repair" method which is better because it doesn't require bondo or more importantly, to repaint. Some dents on the hood are so severe that they also penetrated the finish of the paint. Consequently these severe dents must not only be popped out, but also repainted. If you are suggesting dishonesty on my part, I am only repeating what the Geico claims adjuster and shop repairman told me.

There are dents from the hail on the hood, roof, and trunk. Most of the dents can be repaired using their super duper "paintless dent repair" method which is better because it doesn't require bondo or more importantly, to repaint. Some dents on the hood are so severe that they also penetrated the finish of the paint. Consequently these severe dents must not only be popped out, but also repainted. If you are suggesting dishonesty on my part, I am only repeating what the Geico claims adjuster and shop repairman told me.

Noooo...but your original post led me to believe that all the fury the heavens could muster targeted your car.

You should have use the ARX program (auto repair express). It makes the whole process one stop; and the repairs are guaranteed. Anyway, I would recommend any Caruba collision.

Have you looked into paintless damage repair (PDR) for the areas that can take it?

I found this one link... Specifically for hail damage too:

Dent Masters

The some how "relax" the metal...

This is what I was talking about earlier... They mention damage as big as and apple!

Edit:

:blink: I guess you have... Sorry, I am working a 16 hour shift!

:blink: