Tim Russert dead @ 58

Last of his kind. Guy knew his sh-- and whether you were Dem or Repub you had to watch out when Little Russ asked you a question... and they were usually questions that any thinking matter-of-fact common-sense American would ask. No small thing in an era when pols regularly get softballs and are allowed to skirt, evade and outmaneuver most other people who try to put their feet to the fire.

Also, just a small thing I noticed over the years, he always read exactly what was on the screen when he put up an excerpt that he was basing questions on. Every other person I've ever seen try that would always inject things or their numbers would be way off from what was shown, and you're sitting there like :thumbsup: . TR was a careful journalist who didn't shoot from the hip --- a rarity.

Sunday mornings'll never be the same. How in the world can they fill his shoes?

:lol:

:thumbsup:

RIP Russ

I hope I don't sound cold hearted when I say this, but why did NBC break into it's regular programming with a "Special Report" to announce one of their commentators had died? A shame, yes. But not really a major national/international event

That said, I'll miss him

RIP Russ

I hope I don't sound cold hearted when I say this, but why did NBC break into it's regular programming with a "Special Report" to announce one of their commentators had died? A shame, yes. But not really a major national/international event

That said, I'll miss him

I dunno, having one of the last few good journalists in America die is a pretty significant event I'd think.

RIP Russ

That said, I'll miss him

Sure about that? Because CNN, FOX, CBS, and ABC all broke in, too. I listened to Wolf Blitzer talk about him on the way home.

Yes, he really WAS that important.

RIP Russ

That said, I'll miss him

Russert was the best at what he did: not a person in Washington of ANY note missed his show. He meant that much.

Sure about that? Because CNN, FOX, CBS, and ABC all broke in, too. I listened to Wolf Blitzer talk about him on the way home.

Yes, he really WAS that important.

Agreed, also little known outside his colleagues, he was also an exec vp, not sure his full role at NBC, but Tim influenced a lot of journalists, more than just the on air reporters and always a gentleman. Met him at National Airport one time and he couldn't have been more gracious and bright hearted. His enthusiastic even handedness in life as well as politics will be sorely missed.

Russert was the best at what he did: not a person in Washington of ANY note missed his show. He meant that much.

Agreed. He meant alot to journalism and was one of (if not the) best at what he does.

But it's not like he died under fire in Iraq or putting his life on the line braving some natural disaster. I mourn the guy and will miss him, he's one of the few media type folks I actually respect. But he died of a heart attack in the office, how will the world (outside of TV News) be affected?

I really liked and respected him, but his death is not something you stop the presses for

Agreed. He meant alot to journalism and was one of (if not the) best at what he does.

But it's not like he died under fire in Iraq or putting his life on the line braving some natural disaster. I mourn the guy and will miss him, he's one of the few media type folks I actually respect. But he died of a heart attack in the office, how will the world (outside of TV News) be affected?

I really liked and respected him, but his death is not something you stop the presses for

I don't have a problem with it. sh--, it's more newsworthy than about 95% of the garbage that they usually give us. One of the 5 most recognizable newsmen of his time. A titan of the industry. They paid homage to one of their own. Nothing wrong with that, really.

Maybe it sends a message to the rest of the clowns in the industry to live up to what Tim Russert stood for. But probably not.

Again ... really? The flags in Buffalo are flying at half-staff tonight. Everyone from President Bush to Nancy Reagan to Barack Obama to John McCain to Walter Cronkite to the Bills organization has weighed in on the passing of a man who TIME recently named one of its "100 most influential people in the world."

You should stop. Really. There is not a better American political journalist.

More importantly, he had the respect of everyone, right and left, even though he was liberal. Every journalist without exception could take a lesson from Russert. The profession lost its best today.

I'll miss him too, but tomorrow morning how will the world be any different now that he's gone?

Journalism lost a beacon. The profession is worse off tomorrow than it was yesterday. We are worse off as a public than we were yesterday. I watch one TV news show. MTP. That's it. I may still watch MTP but it won't be the same.

Well damn, sorry if i pissed in anyone's Cocoa Puffs about Russert.

I'll miss him too, but tomorrow morning how will the world be any different now that he's gone?

My Cocoa Puffs don't taste funny, I just disagree with you, is all. Obviously, so do CNN and Fox News, which have continued their special programming throughout the evening. With the de-emphasis on the nightly news anchors, one could reasonably argue Russert was the closest thing our generation had to Walter Cronkite.

How will the world be any different? Without the forum Russert provided, the presidential campaign may well be different. Start there.