Is our line better with Tucker and Price?

CJPearl2

I say yes it is. I also wonder how much it had to do with Willis starting. I didnt watch close enough(I should have) to see how much he was helping out. I suspect he did a better job than Travis does though.

The other factor that made the line look good was the fact that Buffalo did not have to play catch up at all the whole game. If teams know Buffalo is going to have to pass, they start blitzing like crazy. It's not just the line, but the whole team has had lots of trouble with blitz pickup. I'd like to see how the line performs with our starters(Jennings and Teague) back in there with a lead, or at least no pressure to go to the passing game before I make the judgement that Tucker and Jennings are better. Actually, I think there has been gradual improvement in the whole line over the first five games of the season, though I'm not ready to pronounce it a team strength yet.

The line played very well today. Have always liked Price as a backup - and he has always played well in a fill-in roll. Maybe he can replace Jonas if we dont resign him.

73713[/snapback]

ok, but you have to know that price and tucker are not the reason our oline played better. it was mcgahee all the way. his running took pressure off bledsoe, his running made defenders think twice about going all out against the past. our run game opened up a whole new world of possibilities for our offense. it was all mcgahee that game and nothing else. (though drew did play better, but he wasnt the reason we won)

Drew said in an interview this morning that they planner to take Jason Taylor out of the game with Price and "help" (usually a chip block). Occasionally, Taylor lined up vs. MW, and MW handled him well all by himself. I'll watch the tape to see if these were the times that Mark Campbell got his receptions. Having someone chip block to help Price out means that that person (TE or RB) isn't out quickly into a pass pattern. This will be more disastrous next weekend vs. the Ravens. Drew said he'd rather have the first stringers back in, but that Price did a great job.

Drew said in an interview this morning that they planner to take Jason Taylor out of the game with Price and "help" (usually a chip block). Occasionally, Taylor lined up vs. MW, and MW handled him well all by himself. I'll watch the tape to see if these were the times that Mark Campbell got his receptions. Having someone chip block to help Price out means that that person (TE or RB) isn't out quickly into a pass pattern. This will be more disastrous next weekend vs. the Ravens. Drew said he'd rather have the first stringers back in, but that Price did a great job.

74127[/snapback]

Did you mean MP instead of MW? And the Ravens don't have a DE the caliber of Taylor, so Price probably won't need as much help.

The line played very well today. Have always liked Price as a backup - and he has always played well in a fill-in roll. Maybe he can replace Jonas if we dont resign him.

73713[/snapback]

I don't know that it's better, but I do know the difference between Price and Jennings will be a lot less than what Price gets paid next year and what Jennings gets paid next year.

Guest Guest_cjpearl2_*

I understand the points about McGahee - and they are well put. But I meant how Price and Tucker looked on pure pass protection. I dont remember ever seeing someone come up the middle yesterday - something that we have seen a lot of with Teague this year.

Look at the pure pass rush plays of the Dolphins (a lot on the first couple drives) - they line held up extremely well.

A great positive to take into the next part of the season.

No it isn't. They looked better Sunday because we played a lot of max protect and threw on first when they were not expecting it which helped take pressure off of the line. We did that because we had those reserves in so the coaches were more conservative in terms of pass protection. We threw 2-3 guys at Taylor on every play. It is what we did in NY in the 4th quarter. Lets not get too giddy over the line play. The team, primarily due to the offense I suspect, was booed going into the locker room at the half. They had a nice drive that stalled resulting in just a field goal and another scored a TD but that started at the Miami 37. The offense was not exactly all world. They were better than they have been and they were good enough to win but we still have problems on the line. Tucker and Price are not the answer to the glaringly bad O-line play we have seen for most of the season.

No it isn't.  They looked better Sunday because we played a lot of max protect and threw on first when they were not expecting it which helped take pressure off of the line.  We did that because we had those reserves in so the coaches were more conservative in terms of pass protection.  We threw 2-3 guys at Taylor on every play.  It is what we did in NY in the 4th quarter.  Lets not get too giddy over the line play.  The team, primarily due to the offense I suspect, was booed going into the locker room at the half.  They had a nice drive that stalled resulting in just a field goal and another scored a TD but that started at the Miami 37.  The offense was not exactly all world.  They were better than they have been and they were good enough to win but we still have problems on the line.  Tucker and Price are not the answer to the glaringly bad O-line play we have seen for most of the season.

74481[/snapback]

Another reason they looked better was because a stupid player was sitting on the bench. He therefore didn't have the opportunuity to miss blocks, drop easy catches, run wrong routes, nor fall on his ass, right?