Launch of Space Shuttle Discovery

Peter

I am late in posting this. Nevertheless, on May 31st, we went to go see the launch of the space shuttle Discovery. I have been down here in Miami for several years and never had been before.

Long story short, my eldest son (who turns 6 this month) is very interested in astronauts, space, etc. I stumbled on the NASA website a few months ago, signed up for the e-mail updates, found out tickets were available for the launch at the Kennedy Space Center, and was lucky enough to get tickets for the launch.

If any of you have any desire to see a launch, I thoroughly recommend that you try to see a launch. As I recall, the space shuttle program will be discontinued in 2010.

The launch itself was on time and a thing of beauty.

Thats awesome man - both the experience you shared as well as your son's interest in our manned space program. Get him started in the Sea Scouts or Civil Air Patrol or something and gauge his interest in the military. If it's not his bag, steer him into the hard sciences.

I am late in posting this. Nevertheless, on May 31st, we went to go see the launch of the space shuttle Discovery. I have been down here in Miami for several years and never had been before.

Long story short, my eldest son (who turns 6 this month) is very interested in astronauts, space, etc. I stumbled on the NASA website a few months ago, signed up for the e-mail updates, found out tickets were available for the launch at the Kennedy Space Center, and was lucky enough to get tickets for the launch.

If any of you have any desire to see a launch, I thoroughly recommend that you try to see a launch. As I recall, the space shuttle program will be discontinued in 2010.

The launch itself was on time and a thing of beauty.

Bastard! I've always wanted to go see one, and looks like I'm not going to get to do it now that the baby is coming. Everyone here knows what a space nut I am, and it sucks I won't get to see it happen live. I live too far away and the chances of them launching on schedule if I happen to go is slight...

If you can't get on the cape itself, you can see it and feel it from Cocoa Beach or Titusville. The people who lived next door to us in Cheektowaga moved down to Titusville. Once when I went to see the Cape, I visited them. They said that the windows in the house shake every time the shuttle launches.

Point him towards medical school so he can do some real good instead of wasting more money on "fun projects" to fly to Venus or Jupiter (which is where I'm guessing we'll waste 1% of our total budget by the time he's old enough to be an astronaut).

Please save the post listing all the things that NASA has given me. I love how people point to the fact that its ONLY .8% of out ENTIRE budget. Ridiculous.

Point him towards medical school so he can do some real good instead of wasting more money on "fun projects" to fly to Venus or Jupiter (which is where I'm guessing we'll waste 1% of our total budget by the time he's old enough to be an astronaut).

Please save the post listing all the things that NASA has given me. I love how people point to the fact that its ONLY .8% of out ENTIRE budget. Ridiculous.

I can't believe Queen Isabella of Spain wasted all that money on Columbus' "fun project" to sail around the world.

But I see where you're coming from. NASA is just a pet project for geeks to fire rockets. Exploration, research, and understanding the quantum physics of the universe have no redeeming values. I'm positive our lives would be SO MUCH BETTER if that 0.8% was not wasted on the space program, because it's clear that every penny of the other 99.2% of the budget is spent so wisely for the betterment of the common man.

Go crap on someone else's thread a-hole. "things that NASA has given me?"

ME?

You're nothing but a self-serving S.O.B.

Go crap on someone else's thread a-hole. "things that NASA has given me?"

ME?

You're nothing but a self-serving S.O.B.

I love the fact that he cites budgetary figures for the source of his NASA outrage, and yet his advice is to "go to medical school to do some real good." Because the medical and insurance industries are the most fiscally responsible. No fraud, waste, and price gouging to be found there... <_<

I love the fact that he cites budgetary figures for the source of his NASA outrage, and yet his advice is to "go to medical school to do some real good." Because the medical and insurance industries are the most fiscally responsible. No fraud, waste, and price gouging to be found there... :thumbsup:

Medicine would be fine if the insurance/litigation industries hadn't corrupted it.

Insurance and law are about the sleaziest industries out there.

My buddy saw a launch last year by chance. All these people were set up on a golf course and he asked what was going on. They told him stick around- there was gonna be a Shuttle launch. He said it was one of the most incredible things he has ever seen. So loud, so bright, and just amazing to see in person. I would love to catch a Shuttle launch!