Anyone stay at a holiday inn express last nite? I need medical advice

The Poojer

been trying to get some excersize lately and had been doing well, 5-10 miles walking a day, started mixing in some jogging...now i think i strained a quad...or did something to it. it hurts in the front of the upper thigh, near the pelvic joint. hurts to even lower or raise my leg. walking is fine, hurts a bit but can walk it out...i am certain that my poor foot balance had everything to do with it. going to the dr on wed for unrelated, but will ask about it....this has been about 3 weeks now of being in discomfort....what am i looking at in terms of recovery and how do i prevent this from happening...thanks in advance

quality running shoes. In my running days I could have attributed a huge number of nagging injuries to worn running shoes. Try getting them from a specialty store where they know your foot. You'll be surprised how a few extra bucks save your legs, shins, and about everything else. As to your present injury I'll save you a co-pay- Rest, very gentle stretching and ice.

Rub some dirt on it....:devil:

Seriously first treatment.

- Ice it and take a little bit of time off........also Biofreeze (an ointment I put on my sons multiple bumps and bruises) helps with the pain....when you start back.....take it slowly and work yourself back up to where you were.....remember to stretch a bit before you start any physical activity.

Problem with feet.....go to see a specialized shoe store.....the guy running it will be able to take a short look at you and see where your imbalances are.

True story:

My son loves football and has been playing it for the past 7 years.....but in his youth each and every year when they were start running a lot he would come down with some sort of ailment....the worst beign achilles tendonitis on both feet.

Eventually someonw who had expereinced this before said he might need shoe inserts to remendy this......and sure enough as soon as we went to the specialty shoe store the owner could see where Brett's imbalance was from the start......recommended a certain type of shoe insert that he wears to this day. That....stretching and strengthening of the proper muscules, and proper form running has cured this ailments and ran a 4.6 yesterday in practice....fastest of the linebackers.

Pooj,

For new sneaks, check out The RoadRunner Store in Carytown. The owner, Thom, is a great runner and a good guy. Even if he is not there, his staff is good. Explain that you need a proper shoe and they will watch you run and suggest a sneaker for you. Bring in a pair of used sneaks so they can see the wear on the sole.

You will pay a little more here but you will get assistance and service. I would probably wait and get your physician's opinion on your feet/gait before visiting their store.

i do have a pair of asics, but they are from a dept store, i tend to walk/run on the outsides of my feet, i am sure that is where the problem lies

Pooj,

For new sneaks, check out The RoadRunner Store in Carytown. The owner, Thom, is a great runner and a good guy. Even if he is not there, his staff is good. Explain that you need a proper shoe and they will watch you run and suggest a sneaker for you. Bring in a pair of used sneaks so they can see the wear on the sole.

You will pay a little more here but you will get assistance and service. I would probably wait and get your physician's opinion on your feet/gait before visiting their store.

Pooj, you started a thread about getting into a running a while ago.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=64839&hl=

Anyway, several people told you to get properly fitted for a quality pair of running shoes. It sounds to me that you did not do this and it's easy to figure out why you have all these vague pains. Go to a store that specializing in running shoes and have a guy look at your feet and figure out what kind of shoes you need.

fully aware that i started that thread, my main question was what kind of recovery to expect. i went with advise of freind that told me to try the asic running shoes, but thanks for reminding me about my previous thread

Pooj, you started a thread about getting into a running a while ago.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=64839&hl=

Anyway, several people told you to get properly fitted for a quality pair of running shoes. It sounds to me that you did not do this and it's easy to figure out why you have all these vague pains. Go to a store that specializing in running shoes and have a guy look at your feet and figure out what kind of shoes you need.

been trying to get some excersize lately and had been doing well, 5-10 miles walking a day, started mixing in some jogging...now i think i strained a quad...or did something to it. it hurts in the front of the upper thigh, near the pelvic joint. hurts to even lower or raise my leg. walking is fine, hurts a bit but can walk it out...i am certain that my poor foot balance had everything to do with it. going to the dr on wed for unrelated, but will ask about it....this has been about 3 weeks now of being in discomfort....what am i looking at in terms of recovery and how do i prevent this from happening...thanks in advance

windex :D

On a serious note, I'd say make sure you are drinking plenty of water, your body needs lots of that stuff to heal and grow as you start to build your muscles after not excercising for so long. I try to drink a naglene full of water in the hour during any of my workouts.

Also, I'm (blindly) guessing you have a big gut. Which probably is the reason for the bad balance. You may want to try to cut that down. It will help your knees out also (if you happen to have bad knees).

.. and that ends my two cents