The Torch Has Been Officially Passed

I have been attending Bills games since I was 10 years old and have always gone with my Dad and his crew as they set up the Grill, cook the food and take care of everything else that is involved. Now, the torch has been passed to me and I look forward to putting in all the sweat as they get to enjoy the lounging. I would hope that after 27 years of attending, I can do it justice!! Aside from the obvious necessities, anyone have some unique suggestions that has taken their gate up a notch over the years??

And yes, I am ready from some pretty off the wall (or should I say ON the wall suggestions)

Thanks,

Baumer

get a keg, and make sure you finish it before game time, and then use the ice bucket that the keg was in and force one person in the group to take a "gatorade shower". Obviously this gets tougher as the weather gets colder. I think the latest we have done this was late nov. or early dec.

Set up a spit and roast an entire pig or lamb. It takes about 4-5 hours over charcoal...but oh sooo good. We did that for the Monday niter.

Pig roast is definitely a fan favorite but probably not looking to expend quite that much energy. I would definitely like to start up a new tradition for the opener that can be passed on to my son so MAYBE that would work for the Seattle game.

Have everyone in your tailgate pull their nuts out and let them hang out of their pants.....Everytime a fan with an opposing teams jersey walks by, tell them: "You're NUTS if you are a _______ (insert team name) fan"

get a keg, and make sure you finish it before game time, and then use the ice bucket that the keg was in and force one person in the group to take a "gatorade shower". Obviously this gets tougher as the weather gets colder. I think the latest we have done this was late nov. or early dec.

Seif?

if you and your buddies can get a cple vans you got the makings of great shelter.. our groups had 4 high tops thru the super bowl years,, ,face them door to door about 6 ft apart ,,can be done with 2 or 4 easily .. get a plastic tarp big enough to cover the vans and stretch near the ground ,,we used to tie off on bumpers and running boards.. make sure its big enough lenght wise to cover all the way down to the ground we could set this up in about 5 minutes,, great for winter parties we had small portable heater ,,compliments of phone company , spent most of time in tee shirts till game time, plenty of room under it ,our group had 15 originally then went to over 40 when we added the last 2 vans ...great party shelter ,cheap, easy to set up too.. if you think im kidding check out old highlight tapes of super bowl yrs ,, espn always did interveiws from our spot ,, guess they like the "ombionce"? lol ..... good luck enjoy the ride!

Have everyone in your tailgate pull their nuts out and let them hang out of their pants.....Everytime a fan with an opposing teams jersey walks by, tell them: "You're NUTS if you are a _______ (insert team name) fan"
Wouldn't it make more sense (an oxymoron I realize) if they would announce "Your'e NUTS if you are a Bills fan" or "We are NUTS for the Bills"?

Wouldn't it make more sense (an oxymoron I realize) if they would announce "Your'e NUTS if you are a Bills fan" or "We are NUTS for the Bills"?

shut your pie hole......you want to confuse this guy or something???

I was listening to ESPN radio the other day not sure who it was, anyway he was talking about the Detroit Redwings fans & how they all wore jerseys, many of past players. He said only two teams in the NFL can compare........ the Packers & Buffalo Bills. :lol:

The deep-fried turkey always seems to be a hit, and it doesn't take that long...Maybe 90 mins or two hours?

If you have a deep fryer, wings are always a hit at a Bills tailgate. Last year for the Pats night game we did a full thanksgiving feast with not only deep fried turkey but mashed potatoes, stuffing, etc. the works. You don't always have to be elaborate either, sometimes you just gotta find simple things that are delicious. At one game we cooked up some bacon and threw it on our cheeseburgers and had some really good rolls, stuff like that is cheap, easy, and perfect for a tailgate party.

Pig roast is definitely a fan favorite but probably not looking to expend quite that much energy. I would definitely like to start up a new tradition for the opener that can be passed on to my son so MAYBE that would work for the Seattle game.

You really want to man up and take the torch....do the pig roast. Perfect for the opener (great weather) and any night games (don't have to get up so early).

Try this. While meat is cooking, lay out 4 dozen plain fry cake doughnuts. They are not sugar bombs like most doughnuts. The doughnut shops seldom sell them these days. Get them at a supermarket in a sleeve package; they are durable and age gracefully. Tasty, substantial, and not at all cloying.

My 2 cents...

I think I am liking the deep-fried turkey!! Looks like that will be the opener tradition from here on out.

Actually, the deep-fried turkey is excellent fare for a tailgate. I would eschew the fried donuts, though, unless you want to have every cop in WNY at your tailgate.

One thing we've always done is try to match the food & drink to the visiting team, when possible. There are so many microbreweries out there making decent beer that almost every city has their own beer. So for the Jets - NY Strip Steaks, Manhattan clam chowder, NY cheesecake, New Amsterdam beer. For the 49ers - dungeness crab, sourdough bread, Anchor Steam beer, and plenty of Napa wine. For Miami - blue marlin and some sort of cuban cocktail, and so forth. Your crew will definitely appreciate a cup of hot New England clam chowder at that Dec. 28th game, along with a Sam Adams or Harpoon ale.

When all else fails, or you're pressed for time, or there's nothing unique about the visiting city's cuisine, you can't go wrong with 5 or 6 pounds of Scime's hot deluxe Italian sausage and some fresh rolls from Balistreri's - washed down with plenty of Flying Bison, of course...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :lol: