Bill Polian interview

I didn't see this posted, so here it is.

FO: What player improved the most, on any of your teams, compared to how good he was when you first acquired him?

Bill Polian: On our team here in Indianapolis, I would say cornerback Kelvin Hayden. On our team in Carolina, I would say running back Anthony Johnson and wide receiver Mushin Muhammad. On our team in Buffalo, I would say future Hall of Famer Andre Reed.

Nice.

Polian is a great football mind. He knows how to build 'em.

But for the record, Jim Kelly MADE Andre Reed.

Not trying to diss Jimbo in anyway, but Reed was good no matter who the QB was. He caught 3 tds in the Comeback game from Frank Reich. He was one of the best run after the catch receivers of all time. Give a legend some respect.

Not trying to diss Jimbo in anyway, but Reed was good no matter who the QB was. He caught 3 tds in the Comeback game from Frank Reich. He was one of the best run after the catch receivers of all time. Give a legend some respect.

Word for word. Whenever someone wants to argue against Reed's Hall of Fame credentials, claiming he was merely a complementary player on a great team, I just tell 'em to watch the second half of the Houston game. Thurman? On the bench with a hip pointer. Kelly? In street clothes. Reed? Out there getting the job done, with catch after critical catch.

Word for word. Whenever someone wants to argue against Reed's Hall of Fame credentials, claiming he was merely a complementary player on a great team, I just tell 'em to watch the second half of the Houston game. Thurman? On the bench with a hip pointer. Kelly? In street clothes. Reed? Out there getting the job done, with catch after critical catch.

Great point Lori. It's also noteworthy that Reed didn't always have great complementary receivers. As an example, statistically 1989 and 1994 were his best seasons. In both seasons, the receiver second to him in receptions was Thurman Thomas. In 89 Flip Johnson was second among receivers with 25 catches. For 94, Bill Brooks was second among WR's with 42 catches.

Most certainly Reed benefitted from Metzelaars, but I think it's safe to say Reed did a lot on his own.

Had Andre played on the 49'ers instead of Rice...

But I still can't get over him hearing footsteps in the Giants game. Those drops were killer.

No doubt he had the jitters. He was getting the sh*t kicked out of him EVERY play whether or not the ball was intended for him or not. Still, that block he made to spring TT on his TD run made up for a lot of the drops. I wish we had a receiver who could block like Andre. It's critical to the run game. Just ask the Steelers.

GO BILLS!!!