Mike Mularkey

I was reading that he is the o-coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons. How many chances does a guy deserve in life? I was under the impression that his football IQ is somewhere between a beet and a cabbage.

We all said Gilbride sucked (and his scheming did at the time), but he seemed to do ok for the Giants.

i believe there was a lot of talk about how gilbride changed his offensive philosphy and adapted it this year.

something he has never done before and certainly not with the Bills. it only took him, what, 10-15 years to figure it out?

It is crazy, but once you become an NFL head coach for a couple years, no matter how unsuccessful you are, you will always be guaranteed at least a coordinators position somewhere.

very good point....... someone will almost always hire you to do something

Well, he was a better o co-ordinator then head coach.................

But that doesn't say much

At best he could end up being a decent o-cordinator, but I doubt he ever gets another sniff as a headcoach in the NFL unless he does some remarkable work as a co-ordinator and or does really well as a coach in the college ranks, or he can't make a league wide coaches (and potential coaches) meeting that becomes part of a terrorist plot killing off all the NFLs coaches leaving the choice only him or people who have no NFL experience

I was reading that he is the o-coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons. How many chances does a guy deserve in life? I was under the impression that his football IQ is somewhere between a beet and a cabbage.

While there is no guarantee at all that MM will run a productive O at ATL (in fact I doubt he will as they have bigger O problems than mere scheme issues) I think many posters are drawing false conclusions from past performance.

While past performance is a good INDICATOR of future success, it is not a stone cold certain predictor of future success.

It's not as stark as the coin flip example where even if a a coin lands tails 5 times in a row, the chances are still 50/50 whether it will land tail again, but past failure is simply no guarantee for future outcome.

Actually Gilbride is a good example in that he was so stupidly bull-headed here calling failed pass play after failed pass play on 3rd and short that finally these recurring failures got him to switch his style, past failure may even be a prelude to success.

i believe there was a lot of talk about how gilbride changed his offensive philosphy and adapted it this year.

something he has never done before and certainly not with the Bills. it only took him, what, 10-15 years to figure it out?

A coach adapting scheme to the players he has? Preposterous!

Mularky was only successful in Pittsburgh, got to the position because of Donahoe, was given a great offensive line, great runningback, very good defense setting him up and good receivers (one just got his ring). Did anyone notice how little pushback there was from Pitt when he interviewed with hmmmm who was it, oh yeah Donahoe.

Obviously, certain coordinators need to be reigned in by a strong head coach. Mularkey was effective under Cowher and KG under Coughlin.

We weren't so fortunate, since Mularkey was the HC - and there was no way he was gonna B word himself out in an effective manner. Perhaps the new Falcons HC believes he can control Mularkey's tendency to step all over his dick.

Mularky was only successful in Pittsburgh, got to the position because of Donahoe, was given a great offensive line, great runningback, very good defense setting him up and good receivers (one just got his ring). Did anyone notice how little pushback there was from Pitt when he interviewed with hmmmm who was it, oh yeah Donahoe.

he was going to be fired by Cowher

Why would there be pushback? You can't stop ANY coach from interviewing for a higher level position.

And there isn't a single coach in the NFL who wins without good players, so that point is incredibly stupid.