Jonas Jennings

Per Pro Football Talk; Plan B, The 49'ers are looking for someone to play Tackle when Jonas Jennings gets INJURED. He has only played 21 games in his three years with the 49'ers. Great signing by the 49'ers. :thumbsup:

Plan B for Jonas Jennings is a balsawood model of Jonas Jennings. It's cheaper, lighter, and twice as durable.

Per Pro Football Talk; Plan B, The 49'ers are looking for someone to play Tackle when Jonas Jennings gets INJURED. He has only played 21 games in his three years with the 49'ers. Great signing by the 49'ers. :unsure:

Yeah, almost as good as their decision to ink Clements to an $80 million contract to see him get burnt over and over again...

Yeah, almost as good as their decision to ink Clements to an $80 million contract to see him get burnt over and over again...

Clements was pretty freaking good. No need to trash a player just because the Bills decided against resigning him.

If you want to look at a player who didn't play up to his contract, look no further than Derrick Dockery or Chris Kelsay.

Clements was pretty freaking good. No need to trash a player just because the Bills decided against resigning him.

If you want to look at a player who didn't play up to his contract, look no further than Derrick Dockery or Chris Kelsay.

While I agree that it is silly to trash a player just because he is a former Bill, I think the course that Jennings was gifted with by the SF deal is notable in stupid is was.

I am merely a fan and even I could see (and said so numerous times I tend to repetitively repetitively do) that JJ was so injury prone that there was no way the Bills should give him any raise whatsoever to re-sign with the Bills as an FA. Sure, I see the Bills a lot, but if even I could see it, I think it is virtually shocking that the professionals at SF could not see it.

Clements also does not deserve to be labeled a bad player for his failure to play up to the level of the highest paid defender in the NFL. However again it struck me as fairly obvious that:

1. The market for available CBs was so constrained when he hit FA that he almost certainly was going to get a contract from somewhere that simply made it unreasonable for the either the Bills to meet the offer OR FOR NATE TO SIGN WITH THE BILL FOR WHAT WE COULD REASONABLY OFFER HIM.

2. This cold economics were even made more the case because under Jauron we were gonna run a Cover 2 which though it required a reasonable CB (it turned out a Greer level player was sufficient) there was no way it would have been reasonable for us to pay a ton for a CB.

3 The Bills did things just right by franchising NC when the costs of the average top 5 CB contract was not unreasonable. They also did the right thing by buying labor peace with him with a no cash cost agreement not to franchise him a second time. It is arguable that some team could have been as stupid as the 49ers were in giving a huge deal to JJ or the owner would shoot his mouth off like Blank did when he set up a situation that allowed us to trade PP to them for a 1st, but this is pretty doubtful and any fool should have seen if we had tagged NC a second-time there was no way it would have made sense for us to pay him an average of the top 5 CB salaries in his second FA go around.

NC is a very good player and he does not merit insults simply because SF paid him far more than he was worth 9he arguably was not only NOT worth of the biggest D contract ever, but many would argue he was not even among the top 5 CBs in the entire NFL when he hit FA.

If you disagree fine but also acknowledge the fact is that by him not even making the Pro Bowl in his FA year, the consensus of the conventional wisdom (CW is actually often wrong but was correct in this case) was that he was not even a Pro Bowl CB and thus many felt their were three better CBs in simply the AFC.

Nate was a very good player for us but never was a great player. SF gave him a rediculous contract, however, the stupid contract they gave to Jennings was even more outlandish.

While I agree that it is silly to trash a player just because he is a former Bill,

Too bad some Sabres fans (mainly on SabreSpace) can't accept this way of thinking. As soon as a player is a former Sabre, some of those guys on Sabrespace trash the hell out of them (mainly Briere & Drury).

Nate was a very good player for us but never was a great player. SF gave him a rediculous contract, however, the stupid contract they gave to Jennings was even more outlandish.

Essentially my point. The poster I was responding to made it sound like Nate was getting torched repeatedly when that is far from the truth. In fact, Nate was one of the few consistent performers on that defense and made some game changing plays.