Wright must hold off Omon to keep job

Published Wed May 28 10:33:00 a.m. ET 2008

As expected, Bills RB Dwayne Wright is facing competition for the third tailback role from rookie Xavier Omon.

Impact: Fred Jackson's hold on the backup job is secure, so the third tailback role is more pertinent for dynasty leaguers. Wright didn't show much last season while Omon was seen as one of the most intriguing running back sleepers in the draft.

Ok, so it's a slow news day............

Let me see. Bills carried 4 rb last year. (I did the math) Lynch, Thomas, Jackson, Wright. Even when Thomas was placed on IR, Shaud Williams got callled up.

Sans Thomas... I still did the math, and if Oman steps in, he'd be the 4th RB. So, WTF is the big deal? They all have to perform up to expectations or they'll get dumped. Competition is good and, unless one of those 4 really suck, or get injured, they're gonna be on the 53.

Let me see. Bills carried 4 rb last year. (I did the math) Lynch, Thomas, Jackson, Wright. Even when Thomas was placed on IR, Shaud Williams got callled up.

The difference may be that the Bills will have a fullback this year. Fine takes Nuefeld's spot, Johnson and Anderson fight over the Everett/Gains spot. One less spot for a RB

Sans Thomas... I still did the math, and if Oman steps in, he'd be the 4th RB. So, WTF is the big deal? They all have to perform up to expectations or they'll get dumped. Competition is good and, unless one of those 4 really suck, or get injured, they're gonna be on the 53.

As cody said, don't forget Darian Barnes in your equation.

Another "take it for what it's worth" post:

I was hanging out with a buddy recently who knows someone in the organization that was in the Bills war room for the 2007 draft. According to this guy, Ralph was hot on Wright and no one else was including Levy.

Fast forward to mid-season last year, the same guy relates to my friend that Wright's work ethic was very questionable and everyone was down on him.

If that stuff is true (again - grain of salt here folks, it's someone on the internet telling a sotry that was told through a friends friend) I wouldn't be suprised to see Wright as a camp cut.

I was hanging out with a buddy recently who knows someone in the organization that was in the Bills war room for the 2007 draft. According to this guy, Ralph was hot on Wright and no one else was including Levy.

Fast forward to mid-season last year, the same guy relates to my friend that Wright's work ethic was very questionable and everyone was down on him.

If that stuff is true (again - grain of salt here folks, it's someone on the internet telling a sotry that was told through a friends friend) I wouldn't be suprised to see Wright as a camp cut.

People change, but the kid made it back from 2 (I believe it was 2) major knee surgeries. You don't do that and perform at a high level (which he did at FSU) if you have a poor work ethic. I don't know whether he sticks or not, but he deserves at least a partial :unsure: for overcoming what he did to finish out his college career.

The Ralph wanting Wright rumor was reported on the internet the month after the draft.

On a side note after that draft it was also reported:

"The fact that the Packers likely had its fourth-round sights set on RB Dwayne Wright before he was selected by Buffalo suggests even the Packers are not completely sold on their current mix at RB"

As much as I didn't like the Wright pick at the time,

Ted Thompson has done an incredible job of accumulating talent in Green Bay the last several years. If he saw something in Wright, maybe something is there.

People change, but the kid made it back from 2 (I believe it was 2) major knee surgeries. You don't do that and perform at a high level (which he did at FSU) if you have a poor work ethic. I don't know whether he sticks or not, but he deserves at least a partial :unsure: for overcoming what he did to finish out his college career.

Not many guys make it to the NFL without having a good work ethic, so point taken.

As much as I didn't like the Wright pick at the time, Ted Thompson has done an incredible job of accumulating talent in Green Bay the last several years. If he saw something in Wright, maybe something is there.

Mel Kiper had Wright listed as a sleeper example like Terrel Davis or Tom Brady. I don't see it myself although I was happy with the pick at the time.

Mel Kiper had Wright listed as a sleeper example like Terrel Davis or Tom Brady. I don't see it myself although I was happy with the pick at the time.

Chris Landrey, was also very, very high on Wright, and thought he would be the steal of someone's draft. When the Bills picked him, in the fourth, Landrey said something like "considering all of the needs the Bills seem to have, they might have been able to justify going with Wright was their RB pickup of the draft". Landrey wasn't saying that Wright was better than Marshawn (another player Landrey liked a lot), only that he thought that Wright had some big time potential, if he could overcome the knee injuries. He felt, pre-injury, he was one of those top two round type backs. Also, IIRC, Wright was known for being a very hard worker at Fresno, and very mature...a good guy.

Honestly, although he didn't dazzle last year, and he had some difficulty in certain blocking schemes, I don't think he was a terrible player. Who knows, maybe Omon will be better, but I would still like to give Wright a few more carries, before writing him off...

As cody said, don't forget Darian Barnes in your equation.

I don't think Barnes enters the equation to be honest. Of course, I never understood the need to add Shaud Williams at the #4 spot when you only use one at a time. Last year we kept Neufeld and Shouman at the Barnes spot. And still kept two and usually three other TEs around.

This year, I expect to keep one true FB on the roster (Barnes or Vitti), three TEs (Royal, Fine and probably Courtney Anderson or if not Teyo), three RBs (Marshawn, Jackson and Omon if not Wright), and then probably one other player at one of those three positions total (like, say, Shouman OR Vitti OR Wright depending on who's the best on special teams) It also depends, of course, on how many at other positions over the minimum they wish to keep.

My prediction, based on nothing, is that we keep:

Marshawn

Jackson

Omon

Wright

Vitti

Royal

Fine

Anderson

Cut Barnes, Shouman, Johnson, Massawhatshisname,

We all knew that when Omon was drafted. That was the first thing I said to myself, Wright better work his tail off to make the team now. Its obvious whos the #1 & 2 back on this team. But im telling you now, Wright wont be with the Buffalo Bills come week 1 of the NFL season. In all honesty though, Wright sucks. I think Omon can play at the level of Fred Jackson right now. As much as I like FJ, I can see Omon pushing for his spot a year or 2 from now.