Lock up Peters?

Sully's take

So it’s an ideal time for the Bills to lock him up for years to come. Peters has three years left on his contract. But if Roos is worth $7.1 million, what might Peters command on the open market?

Sure, Sully. Great argument. Except the Bills did exactly that when they extended Peters contract and paid him more than he was worth at the time. Now with 3 years left on his deal Peters wants a raise. So explain to me again how renegotiating Peters will keep him in the fold?

I'm not against giving Peters a few more bucks. I'm just pointing out the flaw in Sully's logic. But keep in mind if we pay Peters, then Evans, where do we stop? What happens if Trent Edwards has an all-pro year? We're going to need to open the checkbook for him too. Just keep in mind every player thinks they are underpaid. And by renegotiating you only invite more players to hold out.

PTR

This is what happens on a team full of young guys - players improve and get more money. The Bills are going to have to open the checkbook for all the young guys who are turning into the players that we envision - its part of building a good football team.

This is what happens on a team full of young guys - players improve and get more money. The Bills are going to have to open the checkbook for all the young guys who are turning into the players that we envision - its part of building a good football team.

Yes, but how many $7M+ a year players can you afford? And what's the point of signing a player to a long-term deal if they just hold out anyway?

PTR

It's a lot easier to do that, though, when you're winning. Then, cash is not the only incentive to keep 'em on the squad.

Sully's take

So it’s an ideal time for the Bills to lock him up for years to come. Peters has three years left on his contract. But if Roos is worth $7.1 million, what might Peters command on the open market?

Sure, Sully. Great argument. Except the Bills did exactly that when they extended Peters contract and paid him more than he was worth at the time. Now with 3 years left on his deal Peters wants a raise. So explain to me again how renegotiating Peters will keep him in the fold?

I'm not against giving Peters a few more bucks. I'm just pointing out the flaw in Sully's logic. But keep in mind if we pay Peters, then Evans, where do we stop? What happens if Trent Edwards has an all-pro year? We're going to need to open the checkbook for him too. Just keep in mind every player thinks they are underpaid. And by renegotiating you only invite more players to hold out.

PTR

He got his raise as a RT not a LT. LT's usually get higher pay as should he.

Yes, but how many $7M+ a year players can you afford? And what's the point of signing a player to a long-term deal if they just hold out anyway?

PTR

There a huge difference among situations. If we re-sign Lee Evans to a long term deal, he'll be a deservedly top paid WR. He'll have no leverage to hold out. With Peters, his contract was for an up and coming RT with potential. In the past 2 years, he has developed into a pro-bowl LT. Thats why he wants and deserves to be paid. If the Bills dont want to pay peters, i can easily name 31 other teams that would.

What other players do you think would hold out and demand more money? When your young players get better, as we all want them to, then will need to be paid more money to keep them around. Most other teams have no problem with handing big contracts out to good young players, so why should the Bills.

PTR

He was signed to decent RT money at the time. He is now top 3 LT talent in the league. Not really much of a debate, give him what he is worth.

I'm not against giving Peters a few more bucks. I'm just pointing out the flaw in Sully's logic. But keep in mind if we pay Peters, then Evans, where do we stop? What happens if Trent Edwards has an all-pro year? We're going to need to open the checkbook for him too. Just keep in mind every player thinks they are underpaid.

Just last year, the Bills extended Schobel with 3 years remaining on his deal because they realized they had to after the boneheaded contract Overdorf gave to Chris Kelsay.

Similarly, because Dockery is vastly overpaid, they should do the right thing and pay Peters what he deserves.

Just last year, the Bills extended Schobel with 3 years remaining on his deal because they realized they had to after the boneheaded contract Overdorf gave to Chris Kelsay.

Similarly, because Dockery is vastly overpaid, they should do the right thing and pay Peters what he deserves.

Schobel got his extension because they paid typical market value for a 10+ sack a season DE, and they wanted him around for a long time. Look at the deals freeney and kearney and other DEs got. Schobel's is right in line. they didnt "have" to do it based off of kelsay's contract. Schobel still would have gotten his extension whether or not we re-signed kelsay.

Schobel got his extension because they paid typical market value for a 10+ sack a season DE, and they wanted him around for a long time. Look at the deals freeney and kearney and other DEs got. Schobel's is right in line. they didnt "have" to do it based off of kelsay's contract. Schobel still would have gotten his extension whether or not we re-signed kelsay.

Fair enough -- not saying Schobel didn't deserve the extension. Just saying that when he became the 2nd highest paid player on his own defensive line, the situation became urgent -- they HAD to redo his deal immediately, and the front office showed good faith and did just that.

With Peters, he's now the 3rd highest paid player on the line, which is just ludicrous. If the front office doesn't show him the same courtesy, you can't help but scratch your head and wonder why.

Fair enough -- not saying Schobel didn't deserve the extension. Just saying that when he became the 2nd highest paid player on his own defensive line, the situation became urgent -- they HAD to redo his deal immediately, and the front office showed good faith and did just that.

With Peters, he's now the 3rd highest paid player on the line, which is just ludicrous. If the front office doesn't show him the same courtesy, you can't help but scratch your head and wonder why.

How about a $3 surcharge on tickets to right this grave injustice? All true fans would gladly pay this for their beloved Peters. :unsure:

It's a lot easier to do that, though, when you're winning. Then, cash is not the only incentive to keep 'em on the squad.

That's a perfect point. As much as it kills me to say it, its no coencidence that you see a ton of guys from teams like the Pats or Colts taking pay cuts to stay on a team that has a chance to go deep into the playoffs each year. You don't see that from teams like the Cardinals, Lions, or in reality, us at this point. Unless the player truly loves playing for the Bills organization, or maybe in the WNY area, you can't blame them for wanting to test the market. Simply to see if they can get a better contract from a team that can be more of a contender in their eyes.

Sully's take

PTR

Sully's take

PTR

Don't open that box Brandon! Whatever you do don't open that box! :unsure:

I think I would be shocked if the Bills dont give Peters a raise..As much as Ralph screams about how bad it is I cant say he has ever been cheap in not signing or giving a player a big contract if so deserved since the Kelly days of the mid 80's..Thats 20 plus yrs of paying and going out and signing players with big contracts..Now the obvious stupid signings he has walked away from (NAte Clements) but I cant and wont complain about those.

Sully's take

PTR

Even at the time of his previous extension, everyone was able to look at the contract and say, "Wow, what a great deal the Bills are getting."

Now? Now Peters is vastly underpaid for being one of the top LTs in the league. If we don't pay him, that's like saying we don't want to win. Pay him. Pay that man his money.