More crime in NFL or NBA?

teach them to work so hard.

Hi! Do you really think a guy with 5 million in his bank account (from his dad?) works harder than you to make money?

Ever heard of interest on investments? The way the economy is designed, the rich get richer. A guy with a million dollars has his investment manager put make 7% interest off his million. The manager take 1% off the top. 6% profit on 1 million... 60k. Now you. 200k in the bank. You have your investment manager invest that, he makes 7%, take 1% off the top. You make 6% profit, or 12,000 dollars.

Hey that rich guy made 48,000 more dollars than you this year. He must have worked a lot harder than you. Not to mention, next year he has 1.042 million dollars to invest, and you have 212k. So he will pull further ahead of you every year.

... now try playing this same game with 10k in your pocket.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is a nanny state?

Also.. uhmm if you got a higher income... would the higher taxes be a problem? Not that Barack will raise your taxes at all. He's only going to raise taxes for people who make over 200K/year. People below that might even get lower taxes.

Yes. higher taxes would be a problem for me. 200k is a pretty low bar to set for a professional working couple, especially with the increased cost of living for anything. For example, 200k is also nothing for residents of California. A friend of mine was making 45k starting salary in WNY with a MS in Optical Engineering. A move to California 1.5 years later bumped his salary up to 95k. I'm pretty sure his PhD chemist wife easily pulls in six figures. They'd have to to be able to survive in that state.

Anyhow, salary adjustments for cost of living in different states aside, the super rich that are discussed are a very small percentage of the population. For the large percentage that works their asses off to become middle class, raising taxes for those hovering around the 200k range is a slap in the face.

Hi! Do you really think a guy with 5 million in his bank account (from his dad?) works harder than you to make money?

Yeah, cause there's a huuuuge portion of the population that inherits $5MM. :lol:

Some of you people that are obsessed with what others have really need to get a grip and face up to the reality that the vast majority of people who are well off worked hard to become so.

Also.. uhmm if you got a higher income than i do... would the higher taxes be a problem?

Fixed it for you. Whining douchebag.

Work hard and save money. Before you know it that $10k in now worth $1 mill.
Do I really have to point out that you just turned 10k into a million dollars via "before you know it". I think that is a very large jump, especially given the average household income in the USA.

Yes. higher taxes would be a problem for me
Unfortunately the concept of a democratic government revolves around satisfying the desires of the majority. Your example probably is not common. But yeah feel free to vote as you wish. Just, don't say Obama has actually done anything but try to help the majority of people in this country.

Fixed it for you. Whining douchebag.
Was douchebag really called for? In any case, ... question... in your opinion, which number is higher? For the sake of sticking with the number Obama uses, lets define "well off" as making 200k or more a year.

1. The number of people that worked hard, and became well off.

2. The number of people that worked hard, and stayed in mediocrity.

(I'll grant you that the number of lazy "douchebags", as you would word it, dwarfs both those numbers)

You're right. This country is SO much better now than it was eight years ago.

Has there ever been as swift a fall? It's embarrassing.

This fall was inevitable in the face of the fallacious rise of the 1990s. And it's going to continue regardless of which gang of thieves gets their turn at the Executive this time around.

Please explain to me what unique opportunity did I have?

It might not be the unique opportunity that you had, but the one someone else didn't.

Take me for example, I had great grades in school (I don't think I ever had an average below a 95), was very good at playing football (TE) and would have been able to go to college on a scholarship easily. However my situation at home prevented me from doing so.

My Dad died when I was 10, my older Brother has mental problems (and can't get a job because of it), and my Mom has a bad hip and was unable to get a job for many years. A few years ago, my Mom was cut off by the gov't and was forced to work in a factcory for minimum wage. (We were reciving S.S. Survivors benifits)

So I had two choices. Go to college and let my Mom and Brother be put on the street, or sacrifice my future and get a crappy job to pay for their bills. (rent, food, medical, ect.) I chose the latter, and now I'm stuck working in a factory for $9 an hour.

So while you may not have been given a "unique opportunity", you were probably lucky enough to have a family that was able to support themselves. We all aren't as lucky.

No, it's are. If I said which ONE it would be is. I said ONES which is plural. If you're going to be the grammar police at least be correct.

Having a little trouble following the sarcasm?

It might not be the unique opportunity that you had, but the one someone else didn't.

Take me for example, I had great grades in school (I don't think I ever had an average below a 95), was very good at playing football (TE) and would have been able to go to college on a scholarship easily. However my situation at home prevented me from doing so.

My Dad died when I was 10, my older Brother has mental problems (and can't get a job because of it), and my Mom has a bad hip and was unable to get a job for many years. A few years ago, my Mom was cut off by the gov't and was forced to work in a factcory for minimum wage. (We were reciving S.S. Survivors benifits)

So I had two choices. Go to college and let my Mom and Brother be put on the street, or sacrifice my future and get a crappy job to pay for their bills. (rent, food, medical, ect.) I chose the latter, and now I'm stuck working in a factory for $9 an hour.

So while you may not have been given a "unique opportunity", you were probably lucky enough to have a family that was able to support themselves. We all aren't as lucky.

I'm sorry about your situation however not being able to go to college is no reason to be stuck in a $9 per hour job. I have an associates degree in Culinary Arts. So yeah, I went to college....sort of. I spent many years working as a chef never making more than $50k. Some would think that's a pretty good income but not in southern CA and remember I said that's the MOST I ever made. I made a decision seven years ago that I was going to do something different and I did. What I do has nothing to do with what I learned in college. But I've worked hard at it and I now make a LOT more money and I could not be happier. I had an opportunity to do something else. It was part finding the opportunity and part creating it. It's all up to you. Good luck!

My Dad died when I was 10, my older Brother has mental problems (and can't get a job because of it), and my Mom has a bad hip and was unable to get a job for many years. A few years ago, my Mom was cut off by the gov't and was forced to work in a factory for minimum wage. (We were reciving S.S. Survivors benifits)

You are a good man, my friend. I hope things work around for the better for you and yours.

I don't know, and I don't care (no offense Chef). It is irrelevant.

So the fact that the guy who digs ditches for a living had pretty much the same opportunity as me but didn't seek them out for whatever reason is irrelevant? I guess you're right. What is relevant is whether or not he took those opportunities when presented to him or sought them out. Because if he didn't he shouldn't B word about having to dig ditches for a living and expecting me to subsidize his life and his retirement.

So the fact that the guy who digs ditches for a living had pretty much the same opportunity as me but didn't seek them out for whatever reason is irrelevant? I guess you're right. What is relevant is whether or not he took those opportunities when presented to him or sought them out. Because if he didn't he shouldn't B word about having to dig ditches for a living and expecting me to subsidize his life and his retirement.

Kind of the response I expected....that is a nice example, but every person does not fall into those nice tidy little scenarios. The truth is, there could be a half million valid reasons that some people earn more than others. You are assuming that every person who does not have wealth, is a lazy, unmotiviated free-loader. You just can't (or shouldn't) lump every person into that category. Either way, as long as there are people, somebody, somewhere, will pay for them. I am not even sure that I believe the weatlhy should automatically pay higher taxes than the rest of us. I am sure, I don't think they should pay less.