Do we still want to add...

Raiders released (S) Stuart Schweigert.

Schweigert lost his starting job after getting injured halfway through last season, and with the addition of SS Gibril Wilson and rookie DB Tyvon Branch, he was deemed expendable.

http://www.raiders.com/Team/PlayerBio.aspx?id=308

COLLEGE: Semifinalist for the Jim Thorpe Award (given to the nation's top DB) in each of his last three seasons at Purdue...Named to the Bronko Nagurski Trophy "watch list" (nation's outstanding defensive player) as a junior and senior...As senior, second team All-America by The Sporting News and Associated Press, All-Big Ten Conference and Academic All-Big Ten and team Most Valuable Player.

PRO: Young DB who emerged as a key contributor on defense after gaining valuable experience as a rookie...Has played in 63 league games in his professional career...Has four career interceptions with 45 return yards, a pair of forced fumbles, four fumble recoveries and 14 passes defensed...Has made 315 total tackles in three seasons, including 255 solo stops.

PERSONAL: Attended Heritage (Saginaw, Michigan) High...Ranked as the No. 9 DB and No. 78 player overall in nation by Prep Football Report...Ranked as the No. 18 best skill athlete by SuperPrep and a four-star recruit (out of four) by Rivals.com...PrepSport All-American and named to the Detroit News and Saginaw News dream teams...Totaled 1,502 rushing yards with 22 touchdowns as an option QB, threw for 500 yards with four touchdowns and recorded 50 tackles with three interceptions and seven pass breakups on defense en route to being named the Detroit Athletic Club Male Athlete of the Year as senior...Led the league in rushing and scoring...Also participated in basketball and track.

*I think this would be good competition for Ko Simpson. He is VERY tough against the run and has good ball skills. High character and high motor!

Stuart Schweigert is basically John McGraw with a different name. He's not half the athlete his highschool scouting report makes him out to be. Seriously. His most impressive aspect is a highschool scouting report? ;) I'm not gonna touch the high character/high motor nonsense. Remind me how Ko Simpson isn't either of those things? I have my theory, but I won't touch that issue. In his rookie season simpson basically matched schweigert's career stats, and would likely have passed them had Jason Webster not injured his own teammate. How about instead of running potentially good players out of town, to pick up hacks from other teams, we give the guy with very good potential a chance to develop?

Semifinalist for the Jim Thorpe Award (given to the nation's top DB) in each of his last three seasons at Purdue...Named to the Bronko Nagurski Trophy "watch list" (nation's outstanding defensive player) as a junior and senior...As senior, second team All-America by The Sporting News and Associated Press, All-Big Ten Conference and Academic All-Big Ten and team Most Valuable Player.

That right there says A LOT about him. He is a hell of a player. I correct myself, I like Simpson and think they both have the same potential, but either way...whomever won the job in camp, would have an excellent backup playing behind him.

How would signing a guy of this caliber, with this much potential...HURT our team?

What I was saying is that we could sign him as a STRONG safety and move Donte Whitner to the Free Safety spot, like some were talking about earlier this offseason. Having a few friends who are Raiders fans, they LOVED this guy. He is a throwback type player with the way he plays balls-to-the-walls.

Also, I did not say that Ko Simpson is not a high-motor guy with high character...I was simply saying that those are the types of players EVERYONE wants around here, so why not bring in a guy to help the team who is exactly that? Ko Simpson did NOT have that much BETTER stats than him either. Simpson had 2 interceptions and Schweigert had 10 more tackles. They are 2 VERY DIFFERENT players. Simpson is finesse, Schweigert is powerful.

He is the best safety (Free or Strong) that is available, and I think that is the position we need some help at the most on Defense. He also is not much smaller than Keith Ellison, so he could probably help out at Linebacker if he needed to.

Bottom line is that he is WAYYY better than Bryan Scott and John Wendling...he would help the team more than hurt the team!

AGAIN...I correct myself on saying that he is a HUGE upgrade over Ko Simpson, my apologies.

You need to consider what type of safety schweigert is. is he a liability in coverage? if so, then he's not going to fit in our Cover-2 scheme. We need safeties that can range and cover the deep halves. If schweigert is an in the box smashmouth safety, he really wont have much of a place on the Bills.

He's a decent player, but obviously not good enough for the Raiders to want to keep him. If the Raiders are willing to let you go and spend a gazillion dollars on a crappy safety like Gibril Wilson, then you can't be that good. This is the same crap we hear any time somebody gets cut. "Great character. High motor. Blah blah blah." Not to sound like a jerk, but some people on these boards attribute way too much based on the players' skin color. They got cut for a reason. If we don't need them, why bother. We don't need any more depth at safety because we've got Wilson and the other guy (I can't remember his name right now.)

By the way, Schweigert was awesome in Madden a couple of years ago. That's another reason why everyone thinks he's good.

He's a decent player, but obviously not good enough for the Raiders to want to keep him. If the Raiders are willing to let you go and spend a gazillion dollars on a crappy safety like Gibril Wilson, then you can't be that good. This is the same crap we hear any time somebody gets cut. "Great character. High motor. Blah blah blah." Not to sound like a jerk, but some people on these boards attribute way too much based on the players' skin color. They got cut for a reason. If we don't need them, why bother. We don't need any more depth at safety because we've got Wilson and the other guy (I can't remember his name right now.)

By the way, Schweigert was awesome in Madden a couple of years ago. That's another reason why everyone thinks he's good.

Big Mike Williams was the best blocker I have ever ran behind in Madden too...that does not say too much!

I think the operative phrase here is "safety help." I doubt the OP really intends Schweigert to be our starting safety.

Correct I thought we were looking at the question as a backup player.....

I will say this about this player.....I am forced to watch Raider games (wife is a Raiders fan) when I not watching the bills and this safety MAKES PLAYS or at least he did for the Raiders.

Raiders released (S) Stuart Schweigert.

Schweigert lost his starting job after getting injured halfway through last season, and with the addition of SS Gibril Wilson and rookie DB Tyvon Branch, he was deemed expendable.

http://www.raiders.com/Team/PlayerBio.aspx?id=308

COLLEGE: Semifinalist for the Jim Thorpe Award (given to the nation's top DB) in each of his last three seasons at Purdue...Named to the Bronko Nagurski Trophy "watch list" (nation's outstanding defensive player) as a junior and senior...As senior, second team All-America by The Sporting News and Associated Press, All-Big Ten Conference and Academic All-Big Ten and team Most Valuable Player.

PRO: Young DB who emerged as a key contributor on defense after gaining valuable experience as a rookie...Has played in 63 league games in his professional career...Has four career interceptions with 45 return yards, a pair of forced fumbles, four fumble recoveries and 14 passes defensed...Has made 315 total tackles in three seasons, including 255 solo stops.

PERSONAL: Attended Heritage (Saginaw, Michigan) High...Ranked as the No. 9 DB and No. 78 player overall in nation by Prep Football Report...Ranked as the No. 18 best skill athlete by SuperPrep and a four-star recruit (out of four) by Rivals.com...PrepSport All-American and named to the Detroit News and Saginaw News dream teams...Totaled 1,502 rushing yards with 22 touchdowns as an option QB, threw for 500 yards with four touchdowns and recorded 50 tackles with three interceptions and seven pass breakups on defense en route to being named the Detroit Athletic Club Male Athlete of the Year as senior...Led the league in rushing and scoring...Also participated in basketball and track.

*I think this would be good competition for Ko Simpson. He is VERY tough against the run and has good ball skills. High character and high motor!

Absolutely we should sign him. "You can't be too careful in this league"

Dick Jauron