Jason Peters

Let's say you have a good young K on your roster, and he's the emergency QB also. You sign him to an extension for pretty good K money, and then halfway through the year both QBs go down in the same game and he has to play. You find out during the game he's better than you ever imagined and could be your QB for the next 8-10 years.

After he proves you're right for a full season, you still think he should be happy with K money?

I have no problem with this as long as the reverse can happen. Lets say you put out a lot of money (long term contract) for a LT and he never quite plays to that level he did with another team so you put him at RG, can you then re-do his contract for less money mid-way? I don't think so, all hell would break loose and the player union would go nuts! I'ts just not fair to a team that is trying to re-build on a fixed income.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one thing that T’s me off about NFL Jocks. The Bills front office were smart enough to sign Peters to a contract for the money they did in 06 and it turn out to be a very good business decision that has payed off big for them. They took a risk and it worked, many times it does not, why shouldn’t the Bills reap the benefit of making such a great deal for the organization by having Peter at that price for the rest of the contract? It's just so stupid, just because a player is playing well they want to throw away their current contract obligations for more money? I would have no problem with this if the front office could do the same by re-negotiating a contract of a high priced player mid-contract that is not performing well. Can't blame Peters for trying to get more money but in the end just Shut-up and play the game!

I agree. But its buisness. No one wants to be "underpaid", even if they agreed to the previous deal and played better. The buisness doesn't want to overpay, and would rather underpay (ie have a person paid fairly working above their potential and pay). The problem is, Peters, like many players, knows he is good and could get what he wants on the open market. So he can threaten to hold out and eventually get what he wants because he knows the Bills don't want to lose him. The thing is that I don't think that he is going to hold out and will play, but would like to rework the deal.

Personally (and I know the Players association would never agree to it), I think that salaries and signing bonuses should all be based off of a flat rate plus incentives. An NFL QB would make, say $750,000 (this pay could also be on a scale based on experience and years in the league) a year just for being on a team, then would receive bonuses for certain stats. You would then have players giving 150% every game because they want the money, no one would be overpaid because they are paid based on production. You could remove the cap on salaries, and cap only the signing bonuses, this way it would limit teams with bigger incomes/markets from being able to steal all the big names because the teams would ahve to take into account how mauch they give in signing bonuses. I know its all a pipe dream though and would never happen though, but it would be the best way to run things.

Another option could be to do like the NHL and say that you can not renegotiate a deal, and can not sign a player to an extension until the final year of the deal

Let's say you have a good young K on your roster, and he's the emergency QB also. You sign him to an extension for pretty good K money, and then halfway through the year both QBs go down in the same game and he has to play. You find out during the game he's better than you ever imagined and could be your QB for the next 8-10 years.

After he proves you're right for a full season, you still think he should be happy with K money?

In that case I would understand re-negotiating it, but thats a very rare case

But thats not really the case with Peters right now. He signed the deal when he was already an emerging linemen. If this was him wanting to renegotiate the deal he signed as an UFA tight End, then i would agree.

In that case I would understand re-negotiating it, but thats a very rare case

But thats not really the case with Peters right now. He signed the deal when he was already an emerging linemen. If this was him wanting to renegotiate the deal he signed as an UFA tight End, then i would agree.

Peters signed when he was a young and potentially upcoming RT. Now, he's a pro-bowl LT. The pay scale is a bit different. The Bills arent going anywhere without him there, so pay the man.

I'd rather have peters for his remaining 3 years plus a 5 year extension @ 50 mil, than have peters pissed off for the final 3 years and watch him leave when his contract is up. Not to mention the bad precedent this will set for the rest of the team. They signed schobel last season, which was a wise move. This offseason, PEters and Evans should both get big money contracts, followed by Crowell.

Sooooo Hamdan is better your saying and he deserves a contract extension :D

Let me get this straight TossIt...you are all for giving several millions of US dollars to Jason Peters even though he's in North Korea at this very moment?

Yeah, you would also think people would want to wait to see how the sex change operation goes before tossing more money at him/her.... :D

Yeah, you would also think people would want to wait to see how the sex change operation goes before tossing more money at him/her.... :D

I'm tellin ya, people are just apechit about spending Ralph's money. Peters wit peter was approaching awesome. Shouldn't we wait until we find out a bit more about how Peters witout will do?

I'm tellin ya, people are just apechit about spending Ralph's money. Peters wit peter was approaching awesome. Shouldn't we wait until we find out a bit more about how Peters witout will do?

Exactly. Its like the old afourism:

"Never pluck a may schooner from the hinterlands of antelope carcasses".

This should be kept in mind visa vee Peters.

He wants money: PFT & Buffalo News

This is tough. He's worth more money, but as a bunch of people have stated: can we lower your salary if you're not playing well? Nope. It's a one way street which is why NFL teams are so quick to cut their losses and just release a guy who isn't performing.

He wants money: PFT & Buffalo News

This is tough. He's worth more money, but as a bunch of people have stated: can we lower your salary if you're not playing well? Nope. It's a one way street which is why NFL teams are so quick to cut their losses and just release a guy who isn't performing.

You might want to re-read your own post. :D

Exactly. Its like the old afourism:

"Never pluck a may schooner from the hinterlands of antelope carcasses".

This should be kept in mind visa vee Peters.

If he did receive a big fat contract we could all pitch in and help Ralph pay for it. We could have bake sales, car washes and raffles, those things are fun.

We could even have a contest to provide Jason with a new first name. $10 an entry with $100 going to the winning entry could generate boucoop dinera.

My favorite choice so far is Losmi.

If he did receive a big fat contract we could all pitch in and help Ralph pay for it. We could have bake sales, car washes and raffles, those things are fun.

We could even have a contest to provide Jason with a new first name. $10 an entry with $100 going to the winning entry could generate boucoop dinera.

My favorite choice so far is Losmi.

Too complicated. The B'gals simply arranged to have a half-cent of extra sales tax taken from my wallet on any purchase in Hamilton County.

sure he deserves the money.

but maybe the Bills feel differently-

Afterall - he was an undeserving UDFA who owes his career to the Bills

And they have Chamberws ready to step in.

It's a good thing the Bills were planning ahead and have a backup plan in place to give them some leverage :D

God, you're a tool. :D

And for all the bashing of Chambers, in his 1st start against a top 10 defense, the entire o-line allowed 0 sacks and Lynch for over 100 yards. But I guess he sucks as a backup tackle because he wasn't picked in this drafted.

As for Peters, pay the man. No pro bowl LT deserves to be the 3rd highest paid lineman on his team.

When Peters signed his deal he was playing RT. The Bills promptly moved him to the coveted LT position AFTER he signed the extension. I think that was a strategic move by the suits to get him on the cheap. Now that he's a pro bowl LT and being paid like a average or less RT, he apparantly wants to make up the difference.