One more question

B Rob

I am making a long week end for the home opener.For those of you that play golf could you tell me what are some of the better places to play up around your area.

Thanks

There is a brand new course that opened up last year off Southwestern Blvd. about 10 minutes from RWS. I'm not much of a golfer and haven't played there, but I here it is a nice course.

http://www.harvesthillgc.com/

There is a brand new course that opened up last year off Southwestern Blvd. about 10 minutes from RWS. I'm not much of a golfer and haven't played there, but I here it is a nice course.

http://www.harvesthillgc.com/

I've only played there once (and have a tee time there this Monday too) but if you're looking for a nice place that is affordable AND close, it's a perfect choice.

I'd also recommend Diamond Hawk (near the airport) for the same reasons (although it's a bit pricier.)

http://www.diamondhawkgolf.com

Played Diamondhawk this past weekend and was really unimpressed. They bill it as a premium course, but it certainly didn't feel to me that I was playing at one. Weekends are $60 to ride (before noon) and I didn't think I got my money's worth.

Maybe the course needs a few more years to grow into the image its trying to present. They are trying to grow some long fescue in areas, so that will give it a little nicer look. But I'd much rather play The Links at Ivy Ridge (Akron) or Arrowhead (Clarence Center) for that price.

Played Diamondhawk this past weekend and was really unimpressed. They bill it as a premium course, but it certainly didn't feel to me that I was playing at one. Weekends are $60 to ride (before noon) and I didn't think I got my money's worth.

Maybe the course needs a few more years to grow into the image its trying to present. They are trying to grow some long fescue in areas, so that will give it a little nicer look. But I'd much rather play The Links at Ivy Ridge (Akron) or Arrowhead (Clarence Center) for that price.

I agree. Diamondhawk is not all it is cracked up to be. If you really want to play a nice course a do not mind a little ride(about an 1hr & 20 minutes from the stadium) play the upper at PeaknPeak. You will not regret it. I would put it up pretty much against any public course in the Northeast(it is that nice). I think they drop their rates after labor day also. Should get it with cart for about $75.

I agree that you should try to avoid DiamondHawk, it was openned too early and it's not that good of a layout. The best muni in the area is Sheridan Park and it will cost you $30. The next step up would be either Glen Oak ($40-$50) or The Links at Ivy Ridge ($40-$50). If you want to play really good courses head to Canada and try either of The Legends on the Niagara Courses ($70-$90 spring rates) or Grand Niagara ($70-$90 spring rates).

The best public course for the $$ in the region, IMHO, is the former Hunter's Pointe, now Lochness Links, in Welland (unless you don't like links-style golf). It's about 30 minutes from the Peace Bridge. Of course, it also depends on your skill level. Ivy Ridge was developed by a couple of guys who essentially were copying the HP course. Ivy is a lot easier, but fun, and you don't have to go over the bridge. Harvest Hills is another links-style course. Both (Ivy and HH)are fun, but Lochness still reigns.

http://www.hpgolf.ca/

I've only played there once (and have a tee time there this Monday too) but if you're looking for a nice place that is affordable AND close, it's a perfect choice.

I'd also recommend Diamond Hawk (near the airport) for the same reasons (although it's a bit pricier.)

http://www.diamondhawkgolf.com

Pricey?? Fifty to ride?? I am not in Buffalo, but I look at $80-100 getting up there.

It's nice that they allow you to walk the weekends.

I like Diamond Hawk. It is one of the more difficult courses in the area. I was there about two weeks ago and it still has some growing to do. The course is only 2-3 years old. They have done wonders with the huge bunker on the right of the second hole and you can see what it will become in the next few years.

More importantly, the staff are very helpful and nice and I got five lessons in a golf clinic for $75!! I started playing golf last year and the staff really made me like the game. You can see their longterm business plan is to become private.

BTW, a partner at my firm just took me to his club this past weekend and it was F-ing awesome! The best course I have seen in my short golfing life. The course was Niagara Fronteir Country Club. In talking to local golfers they say this is one of the best in WNY.

I like Diamond Hawk. It is one of the more difficult courses in the area. I was there about two weeks ago and it still has some growing to do. The course is only 2-3 years old. They have done wonders with the huge bunker on the right of the second hole and you can see what it will become in the next few years.

More importantly, the staff are very helpful and nice and I got five lessons in a golf clinic for $75!! I started playing golf last year and the staff really made me like the game. You can see their longterm business plan is to become private.

BTW, a partner at my firm just took me to his club this past weekend and it was F-ing awesome! The best course I have seen in my short golfing life. The course was Niagara Fronteir Country Club. In talking to local golfers they say this is one of the best in WNY.

NFCC is definately a nice course, with that being said it is not even close to one of the nicest courses in this area. I do not think it would even make the top 15.

NFCC is definately a nice course, with that being said it is not even close to one of the nicest courses in this area. I do not think it would even make the top 15.

Not top 15 in the area? really? Please tell me the other 14 because I am going there! I LOVED NFCC. Very hilly, well maintained and great atmosphere (not a snobby elite B.S. club - i.e. Westwood).

Not top 15 in the area? really? Please tell me the other 14 because I am going there! I LOVED NFCC. Very hilly, well maintained and great atmosphere (not a snobby elite B.S. club - i.e. Westwood).

Buffalo Country Club, Park Country Club, Transit Valley, Fox Valley, Craigbyrne, Wanakaka(sp) Country Club, PeaknPeak, Penn Lakes, Legends, Grand Niagara, Cherry Hill Country Club, Whirlpool Country Club. The last 5 are in Canada, so technically not WNY, but a short drive once over the Peace Bridge. Whirlpool is probably a stretch also. Nice course, probably not nicer then NFCC. It is definately not nicer then the first 9 courses I mentioned though. If you add Rochester into the mix, then I could easily come up with 15. Rochester area has some great courses, much nicer then the buffalo area imo.

Very nice atmosphere there... out in the country. Definitely feels like an escape from the pressures of everyday life in those foothills.

It's a fun, hilly course if I remember correctly.

You remember correctly. Fun course, a bit challenging at times, and gorgeous. I try to play there whenever I get back to WNY in golfing season.