A question about Lindells kickoffs

Thailog80

Even with that wind at his back he isn't getting it to the endzone. My question is why? Is it designed coverage?

72880[/snapback]

One would hope he could produce a touchback with the wind, but then one can hope we had Janakowski kicking off for us. Hopes are nice but they are fairly worthless in terms of analysis.

The Bills clearly emphasize kicking direction more than they emphasize distance for the return game. Given the general success of the return game with this emphasis is hard to rationally complain about this choice and one makes a fairly defensible guess that the kicks emphasized height and direction rather than distance.

The KOs don't phase me for several reasons:

1. In general the results have been oretty good even with a KO to the 5 with the wind.

2. The worse results in this game were against rather than with the win and kudos should go to a return guy like Welker who got them the ball out at the 40 by cleverly waiting and stepping OB to touch the ball.

3. The 1st kick with the wind was from the 15 because of Spikes endzone celebration

Even with that wind at his back he isn't getting it to the endzone. My question is why? Is it designed coverage?

72880[/snapback]

After TKO's TD they kicked off from their own 20 (excessive celebration call). He kicked off to the 5. What's the problem?

I gotta think so.  Although, I will add that based on his FG miss, the wind wasn't so much as with him as it wasn't against him.  That FG was a good kick w/ a slight draw & it just hit a wall & dove right about 20 yards.

73294[/snapback]

He was kicking into the wind. And believe me......it was freaking WINDY !

I still would like to get the kicker from ohio state (Nugent)

73399[/snapback]

The kicker from BYU should get some looks, too...he can kick em from 52 yards, and he loves to lay some smack down on kickoffs. He looks like a slightly smaller version of Janikowski. And he's from BYU, so no booze or drugs, right?

He was kicking into the wind. And believe me......it was freaking WINDY !

73658[/snapback]

Yes it was!!!!!

never under 20mph all game with frequent gusts in the thirties

One aspect of the kicking game that was decent was the punting of Brian Moorman.

Lindell's kickoffs even with the wind had little difference in distance from other games at the Ralph. This leads me to believe that he's kicking to a particular player or side of the field most of the time.

I don't think that there is or was a problem at all with Lindell's leg strength. Yesterday's conditions easily could have assisted Lindell's kickoffs into the end zone but why would you want to do that when the wind is blowing and swirling. My thought and obviously the coaches thought was to make the Dolphins attempt to catch the ball and return it rather than give them a free play without fielding the ball. The was the wind was moving pass attempts around, it must have played havoc on the returners yesterday. Just my thought on this.