Recycling is actually BAD

Fingon

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much energy does the entire plastic recycling process including transportation take? Make sure you include all the oil that the employees use to drive to work at the plant, the energy involved in running the recycling plant, etc. I would bet you are not saving nearly as much oil as you think.

I can't say that I particularly care how much oil we either save or don't save in that process. I would support recycling plastics simply because they will be around forever. "proper disposal" as someone else called for is throwing it into a sanctioned hole. You can go back to that hole in thousands of years and find your water bottle from yesterday. Why shouldn't we try to keep the bottle out of that hole given that we know it will never biodegrade? It's not the same with paper or even metals. Those are biodegradable and will, in time, return to the soil. If we choose to throw those away and make new ones because there is less opportunity cost that's fine.

Why, when the have the means not to, would we want to just make mountains and mountains of plastic? I'd rather burn the oil to keep the plastic out of the landfill than use the oil to make more plastic to go into the hole of "proper disposal".

What's funny is, eventually, there will be no more oil. Maybe not today maybe not for awhile, but eventually it will happen. how much do you want to bet that we then start harvesting landfills for plastics to recycle since, even if it takes 1,000 years to use all the oil, the plastic will still be there.

On another note... That is one reason why I love the community that I live in... We don't recycle one thing... All goes in the garbage... I save AL though and take that to the scrap yard for $$.

No strings attached in my village... And they aren't beholding to any money taken grant-wise!

:blink::rolleyes:

Here in south nothing is recycled, everything is thrown all over roads!

Quite the opposite here. Almost EVERYTHING is recycled. And you get dirty looks if you don't. It's kind of like in the video where they showed the people sorting out garbage in 10 different bins. Crazy... :thumbsup:

Quite the opposite here. Almost EVERYTHING is recycled. And you get dirty looks if you don't. It's kind of like in the video where they showed the people sorting out garbage in 10 different bins. Crazy... :lol:

My sister lives in VT... OR of the east or vice-a-versa... Yet, they drive the most in the country to get somewhere! :thumbsup::w00t:

My sister owns a Prius and her husband a Silverado! :w00t::lol:

We are becoming a nation of NIMBY's... Correction, we are a nation of NIMBY's!

OK- I watched the second part of the video. I don't give a damn about the cost's associated with recycling. That is not why I support recycling. What is plastic made of? Why should we waste oil? That is retarded. How long does a tree take to grow in a tree farm? How long does it take to grow a potato? No comparison- that is a stretch. Instead of hating on recycling because it takes energy to transport the paper, break it down and manufacture it- how about we take those process's and make them green? That makes a helluva lot more sense to me. There is a flotsam in the north Pacific and that is where plastic tends to accumulate. Somehow it ends up here. They estimate there is upwards of 46,000 pieces of plastic floating in each square mile in that part of the ocean. Plastic is made to last forever theoretically- it is not biodegradable. Environmentally doesn't it make sense to recycle plastic instead of filling up land fills or letting it accumulate in the Pacific? Albatross fly up to 12,000 miles in search of food for their young. Well they mistake pieces of plastic for fish eggs and their numbers are in steep decline. When they cut up their stomachs- they are filled with plastic. The blood is on our hands. What is the impact with dwindling albatross numbers? I have yet to see a good point in the first two parts of bull sh--. Do they make a point in the third part? Nature is as close to perfection as there is on this planet and it is remarkably efficient. We are !@#$ing up this planet and Earth would be better off if man never existed

And yet, the vast majority of paper is made from tree farms... so basically you are full of bull sh-- on that. The current way of recycling is more wasteful than using raw materials, so you are hurting the environment by trying to save it. Your advocacy for recycling is extremely flimsy, at best. I would suggest actually using statistics (such as the video uses) rather than using stories to get us emotionally involved.

I can't say that I particularly care how much oil we either save or don't save in that process. I would support recycling plastics simply because they will be around forever. "proper disposal" as someone else called for is throwing it into a sanctioned hole. You can go back to that hole in thousands of years and find your water bottle from yesterday. Why shouldn't we try to keep the bottle out of that hole given that we know it will never biodegrade? It's not the same with paper or even metals. Those are biodegradable and will, in time, return to the soil. If we choose to throw those away and make new ones because there is less opportunity cost that's fine.

Why, when the have the means not to, would we want to just make mountains and mountains of plastic? I'd rather burn the oil to keep the plastic out of the landfill than use the oil to make more plastic to go into the hole of "proper disposal".

What's funny is, eventually, there will be no more oil. Maybe not today maybe not for awhile, but eventually it will happen. how much do you want to bet that we then start harvesting landfills for plastics to recycle since, even if it takes 1,000 years to use all the oil, the plastic will still be there.

If we took all our garbage from the last 100 years and stuck it in a landfill, it would be 35 square miles and 200 feet high. We have plenty of space. The danger from pollutants from these landfills is almost non-existent, as they are kept contained.

I can't say that I particularly care how much oil we either save or don't save in that process.

science and logic have no place where powerful emotions are involved!

If we took all our garbage from the last 100 years and stuck it in a landfill, it would be 35 square miles and 200 feet high. We have plenty of space. The danger from pollutants from these landfills is almost non-existent, as they are kept contained.

I call bull sh--. That wouldn't even hold Newark.

Utter bull sh--. Where are you pulling these numbers from?

And yet, the vast majority of paper is made from tree farms... so basically you are full of bull sh-- on that. The current way of recycling is more wasteful than using raw materials, so you are hurting the environment by trying to save it. Your advocacy for recycling is extremely flimsy, at best. I would suggest actually using statistics (such as the video uses) rather than using stories to get us emotionally involved.
OK- I watched the second part of the video. I don't give a damn about the cost's associated with recycling. That is not why I support recycling. What is plastic made of? Why should we waste oil? That is retarded. How long does a tree take to grow in a tree farm? How long does it take to grow a potato? No comparison- that is a stretch. Instead of hating on recycling because it takes energy to transport the paper, break it down and manufacture it- how about we take those process's and make them green? That makes a helluva lot more sense to me. There is a flotsam in the north Pacific and that is where plastic tends to accumulate. Somehow it ends up here. They estimate there is upwards of 46,000 pieces of plastic floating in each square mile in that part of the ocean. Plastic is made to last forever theoretically- it is not biodegradable. Environmentally doesn't it make sense to recycle plastic instead of filling up land fills or letting it accumulate in the Pacific? Albatross fly up to 12,000 miles in search of food for their young. Well they mistake pieces of plastic for fish eggs and their numbers are in steep decline. When they cut up their stomachs- they are filled with plastic. The blood is on our hands. What is the impact with dwindling albatross numbers? I have yet to see a good point in the first two parts of bull sh--. Do they make a point in the third part? Nature is as close to perfection as there is on this planet and it is remarkably efficient. We are !@#$ing up this planet and Earth would be better off if man never existed

Where is the bull sh--? My response was a critique of the film. I brought up some facts- where are yours?