whitner

how many OLs league wide have pro-bowl talent across the board?

The vikings have a highyl regarded line, and have a number of "1st round picks" alogn the OL. And exactly how many playoff wins has that gotten them? Hell, how many playoff appearances has it gotten them? Perhaps theres a bit more to winning games that simply drafting a bunch of OLs.

I guess the reverse should be asked...who gets into the playoffs with a lousy OL?

Plenty here are happy about the recent upgrades in the Bills' starting OL. Certainly there is more to a winning club - everybody knows that. We have been discussing back-ups that can do a halfway decent showing if called upon.

I like to think that even the poorest team that can go injury-free in their starting 22 can be playoff caliber.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the reverse should be asked...who gets into the playoffs with a lousy OL?

Plenty here are happy about the recent upgrades in the Bills' starting OL. Certainly there is more to a winning club - everybody knows that. We have been discussing back-ups that can do a halfway decent showing if called upon.

I like to think that even the poorest team that can go injury-free in their starting 22 can be playoff caliber.

I agree that we need more depth at the OL position, however, its highly foolish to start acquiring early round backups at positions when the team has significant other holes on the 1st string team that need to be addressed.

I can't believe we are still arguing this:

Big Guy doesn't automatically mean Good Guy, and, O line is 10x more about continuity than individual players.

We don't draft in a vacuum and the argument that: "All these top lineman go in the top ten/first round" only serves to underscore :wallbash: that fact. This year, by the time the draft got to us, we were looking at picking the 5th or 6th best guy at the T and G positions, and there's no way in hell that is better than taking the #1 guy at his position. It's only going to get worse the better we do and we have to use every tool there is to get the best players at every position, every year.

Or, as in this year, what if nobody is graded higher than the 3rd round at an O line position(Center this year)? Why should we draft 3rd round talent in the 1st round? Just so we can say we drafted an O lineman?

Continuity: NFL '= fantasy football, and there is no position on the team where that fact is more clearly demonstrated than O line. These guys only played together one year. Hopefully the coaches give them a chance to work together this year(run blocking) before they start monkeying around with them. We had to make the wholesale changes we did before last year because things were a mess. That's not the case this year. I expect to see dramatic improvement now that these guys have a year under their belt together(that means you Mr. Fowler). And if I don't, and there isn't some other position that isn't killing us worse, then I expect the FO to act accordingly, just like they did last year.

Nobody said he has no input, of course, merely that he isn't all alone in the war room making picks to his desire.

Thanks for your agreement with my original position that Jauron has played a not-insignificant role in building his teams.

"Those that don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it."

Thanks for your agreement with my original position that Jauron has played a not-insignificant role in building his teams.

"Those that don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it."

On the Bills, he does, and we haven't yet seen whether thats a good thing or a bad thing. Chicago had an actual general manager, did they not?

On the Bills, he does, and we haven't yet seen whether thats a good thing or a bad thing. Chicago had an actual general manager, did they not?

Since you asked: Jauron was hired by the Bears in 1999. They hired a Angelo as GM in 2001. The Bears did not have a GM before Angelo since 1986. Jauron replaced Wannstedt in the brain trust of Wannstedt, Mark Hatley, and Michael McCaskey. McCaskey was "excused from further responsibilities" by his father, Ed, over the bungled hiring of McGinnis, that led directly to Jauron getting the job, and replaced by Phillips. Jerry Angelo came on board in 2001 to fill the void left by Hatley, because Hatley had bolted to Green Bay as the result of an feud.

I recall reading that Jauron stepped into Wannstedt's contract as a combined "head coach/GM" like position during this turmoil in 1999. (Being the "head chef and grocery buyer" was the rage at the time; Jimmy Johnson in Miami, Holmgren in Seattle, Lewis eventually in Green Bay, and so on...) I don't know this as an absolute fact, because I've never seen the contract -- only reporters articles. But, it is in fitting with the chaos and desperate scrambling of McCaskey to try and save face for himself and the franchise to have offered the moon to someone to lure them in very quickly.

On the other hand, I know nothing.

I agree that we need more depth at the OL position, however, its highly foolish to start acquiring early round backups at positions when the team has significant other holes on the 1st string team that need to be addressed.

Bingo. Let's worry about fielding the best 22 starting players before worrying about what would happen if they got injured and drafting their backups.

But since we're on the topic, who are these "great backup LT's" that the league is replete with, outside of the Bills of course? Anyone?

at this point of the offseason, this board sucks.

especially because of the faction that have to turn EVERY FREAKIN THREAD into a "we wont win without drating lineman/we wont win with Jauron" bull sh-- argument.

There's a reason some people (me) aren't posting as much as usual. Training camp can't come soon enough....

at this point of the offseason, this board sucks.

especially because of the faction that have to turn EVERY FREAKIN THREAD into a "we wont win without drating lineman/we wont win with Jauron" bull sh-- argument.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks there are too many whiners out there right now.

i dont disagree with that either, even if im guilty of it here.

but this shouldve been a real positive thread, and it seems people just cant stand that.

The Hardy pick is intriguing. It's be different to see a Bills WR with some size operating in the red zone, that's for sure. On the downside, we have to think of a new name: Hardy doesn't suit "Smurf Attack". :blink: