Professional Sports on the Rise and Fall

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to completely disagree. Baseball is boring to sit and watch, though I'm becoming more of a fan living in Detroit. That being said, the reason most people think that Soccer is boring to sit and watch is three fold.

1. They don't understand the game. Most people don't understand the strategy or the complexity of upper level professional soccer. A lot more strategy goes into soccer than in a number of other sports. Also, soccer has a number of rules that people do not understand which they think only slow the game down, when in reality, they are part of an exceptional team's strategy.

2. American soccer is sub-par. MLS is NOT a premier quality soccer league. Sorry for you MLS fans, but it isn't. MLS has been getting better, but none of the current teams could compete in any of the European top-quality divisions. Period. That being said, US Soccer is on the rise. The sport is getting more fans to their live games and their TV audience is growing significantly. With World Cup qualifying starting this summer, the Confederations cup in 2009 and the World Cup in 2010, the US National Team is going to get a ton of exposure. They are likely to have a significant increase in terms of fans and viewership.

3. American's don't get to see quality soccer. Most of the European league games are very interesting and are much faster paced than the MLS and National Team contests. If people were able to actually watch a Premier League Game or a UEFA or Bundisleagua game, their opinions about the game would likely change.

1. the part Americans don;t understand about the game is the futility caused by lack of scoring and scoring chances. What mis-understood rules do you think would change someone's outlook on the game?

2 & 3 pretty tough to argue that soccer will become common place in America when the only "good" soccer is played by a few selective teams 2000 miles away. If good soccer and good soccer plays can only be made by the superstar elite, soccer does not have much chance of overtaking the NFL and NCAA football in the US.

soccer does not have much chance of overtaking the NFL and NCAA football in the US.

Even those of us who love soccer will admit that this will never happen. I don't even know that I WANT it to happen. I'm not sure why people think that soccer and football (or hockey, or whatever else) are mutually exclusive. Soccer doesn't HAVE to be bigger than the NFL to be a success. It can function just fine as it is, even if it never grew any more than it already has. The real soccer fans in the US are plentiful enough to still have every match of the World Cup broadcast, to have a little time on ESPN every now and again, to have the UEFA Champs League final broadcast live on ESPN 2, and probably even maintain the MLS as it is now. That, in itself, is success. I think we can do better, though, and it will grow to be bigger than it is now, for sure...but it'll never be the NFL, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

I doubt the rising popularity of soccer as well. I mean, it's not like the attention spans of our kids are going to increase in the future. And they're the future adults who will make the TV-viewing decisions. They won't be tuning to soccer.

I agree that MMA will become huge, though.

basketball i would say is back on the rise a little - the product is a lot better now than it was 5, 6 years ago - its too bad all the good teams are in the west

It's more than just a little. From an international perspective, it's probably the number one on the rise sport right now. It's growing to even rival soccer in it's wide-spread appeal.

A lot of people blame the recent Olympic failures on pro-athletes taking it for granted that the gold medal would be bestowed upon them (which is partially true) or the difference in international rules and our reluctance to adapt (also, part true), but the skill of the basketball players around the world has gone through the roof because so many people follow it now.

It's more than just a little. From an international perspective, it's probably the number one on the rise sport right now. It's growing to even rival soccer in it's wide-spread appeal.

A lot of people blame the recent Olympic failures on pro-athletes taking it for granted that the gold medal would be bestowed upon them (which is partially true) or the difference in international rules and our reluctance to adapt (also, part true), but the skill of the basketball players around the world has gone through the roof because so many people follow it now.

well that's certainly true - but I was talking basketball in the US, not worldwide. Great points. It's amazing how quickly the world has caught up with us in that one.

Soccer is becoming more and more popular. Seeds are being planted with the youth of America playing soccer. It's popularity is gonna continually rise, slow and steady in America the next 20 years. I bet we win a World Cup in the next 20 years too- which will really boost Soccers appeal. Boxing is dead- MMA is gonna become one of the biggest sports in the world IMO. NASCAR I don't understand- but I agree it is only gonna gain more popularity. I think Hockey will grow. I mean can it go anywhere but up from 2006? Hockey needs to get back on ESPN and needs the exposure. Players like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk are marketers dreams. And Football is America's game! What other sport do people sit around all weekend and watch the draft? Heck baseball, hockey, golf, basketball, etc- are on TV- and people choose to watch the draft. That is very telling!

I've been hearing how soccer is on the rise in the states for 25 years. The fact is it will never reach anywhere close to the popularityit has in Europe. It's a sport that is played by millions of kids in the states throughout school but that's where it ends. Baseball has been on the decline for years and now hockey's having problems but I still love it.

I'd watch soccer if they allowed body checking! Now that would make it watch able! They give "cards" out for what? The simpliest of "tackles"... :):blink: I wanna see some intimidation and the fear of going through the middle with the possibility of being "Umbergered!"

:D:devil:

Soccer=Too many guys on too big of a field.

Ice hockey=Too many guys on too small of an ice surface.

I've been hearing how soccer is on the rise in the states for 25 years. The fact is it will never reach anywhere close to the popularityit has in Europe. It's a sport that is played by millions of kids in the states throughout school but that's where it ends. Baseball has been on the decline for years and now hockey's having problems but I still love it.

It is a different world now. I agree soccer will most likely never surpass football in my lifetime. But I feel soccer will grow in popularity from here on out most every year. I was a kid in the 70's and did not have any friends that played soccer- I hardly even knew what soccer was. That changed as I got older. Ever hear of a Soccer Mom before 1995? Our country is growing in population. Look at demographics. Lots of Eastern Europeons, lots of Asians, Africans, and lots of Hispanics- all soccer fans. If every current American gave up soccer, just through immigration the next 50 years I think soccer interest would grow. Factor in youth programs, immigration, more exposure- how does soccer not catch on? It is a timeless game, a nice product, and the world's passion. One reason soccer does not catch on in the USA- 45 minute halves with no commericals. The networks would never go for it. The NFL is almost unwatchable with all the commercials now

It is a different world now. I agree soccer will most likely never surpass football in my lifetime. But I feel soccer will grow in popularity from here on out most every year. I was a kid in the 70's and did not have any friends that played soccer- I hardly even knew what soccer was. That changed as I got older. Ever hear of a Soccer Mom before 1995? Our country is growing in population. Look at demographics. Lots of Eastern Europeons, lots of Asians, Africans, and lots of Hispanics- all soccer fans. If every current American gave up soccer, just through immigration the next 50 years I think soccer interest would grow. Factor in youth programs, immigration, more exposure- how does soccer not catch on? It is a timeless game, a nice product, and the world's passion. One reason soccer does not catch on in the USA- 45 minute halves with no commericals. The networks would never go for it. The NFL is almost unwatchable with all the commercials now

Right, I agree about the NFL now. But I don't think people need to have played soccer in order to enjoy it. While I enjoy watching any soccer, for the average fan, the MLS is like anything else: the more other people watch it, talk about it, and enjoy it, the more s/he is inclined to turn it on and see what it is all about. Imagine, for a moment, that we lived in New England, and all of New York and New England was talking about the upcoming match between the Red Bulls and Revs--newspapers, TV sports shows,radio talk shows etc. Imagine the stadium was sold-out, and tickets were being scalped at 300% there list price. Would I not be inclined to turn it on and watch? And even if it was a 2-1 game, I would learn to cheer each save, shot, tackle, etc. No need for high scoring games!

I happen to think the "quality" of the sport, in itself, as viewable is hard to determine (though I personally think soccer is great fun to watch). What is more important is how much other people care about it. It could be watching paint dry, for that matter (I do think watching baseball comes close to this), but if everyone else made an issue of it, I would think it is high drama. I guess it is a bit like fashion: big, big sunglasses are really great right now, not because they really are better than the smaller ones, but simply because other people think so.

Anyhow, because soccer is getting more exposure now, and attendance is going up, I think it will keep becoming more popular. Popularity breeds popularity. In twenty years, I suspect it will be the number 2 major league sport in the country.

I am SO tired of reading "Americans don't like to watch soccer because they don't understand it." Bullschitt. There's really not a whole lot to understand. I also don't enjoy watching a televised chess match -- and it ain't because I don't understand chess or don't like to play. I played soccer from the time I was six until I went to college. I know the sport. It doesn't matter. It's just not an interesting game on TV when there are so many other options. Listen -- I LIKE the sport and it's still about the last thing I'd tune to unless it's the World Cup (and nothing else is on).

When will the kickball faithful just suck it up and realize soccer is "the world's most popular sport" for one reason and one reason only -- anyone (and particularly, the impoverished) can play because all you need is a ball and a field. It's that simple. It's not the greatest game ever invented -- it's the most accessible game to most of the world.

Are people really suggesting that a rise in the US Latino population will drive soccer popularity in this country? To the contrary, I believe those Latinos will be converted to our more popular sports as they see how much more entertaining they are to watch.

Soccer already IS popular in the US -- just not on TV, and it never will be. Fun to play, boring to watch (for most). Period.

I am SO tired of reading "Americans don't like to watch soccer because they don't understand it." Bullschitt. There's really not a whole lot to understand. I also don't enjoy watching a televised chess match -- and it ain't because I don't understand chess or don't like to play. I played soccer from the time I was six until I went to college. I know the sport. It doesn't matter. It's just not an interesting game on TV when there are so many other options. Listen -- I LIKE the sport and it's still about the last thing I'd tune to unless it's the World Cup (and nothing else is on).

When will the kickball faithful just suck it up and realize soccer is "the world's most popular sport" for one reason and one reason only -- anyone (and particularly, the impoverished) can play because all you need is a ball and a field. It's that simple. It's not the greatest game ever invented -- it's the most accessible game to most of the world.

Are people really suggesting that a rise in the US Latino population will drive soccer popularity in this country? To the contrary, I believe those Latinos will be converted to our more popular sports as they see how much more entertaining they are to watch.

Soccer already IS popular in the US -- just not on TV, and it never will be. Fun to play, boring to watch (for most). Period.

BINGO!

well I guess that is that. Did you hear that the rest of world? AJ says it is stupid- so give it up!

Popularity has never necessarily equated to quality. Check out Micheal Jackson and hip hop music. The most successful movies suck because they are made to appeal to the masses. Quality, originality is sacrificed to sell tickets. Fact is soccer is much more accessible to the rest of the world. Easy to play. No equipment to buy. Great for 3rd worlders. I went to the Sharks/Stars playoff game Friday and no way soccer can match that type of energy. The level of excitement was incredible. Soccer, with its less than pedestrian pace does not lend itself to that kind of excitement. Bad and simple game created for the great unwashed that is the rest of the world.

Bottom line is that Americans like being the best in the world. For our pro sports leagues, we like to know we're watching the best in the world. If and when the MLS rises in competitiveness, coupled with a US World Cup victory, the public attitude will start to change about soccer. The recent surge in Mexican immigrants may be the catalyst to make all this happen. And for those ripping on soccer because it's boring to watch, how do you explain the popularity of baseball? :)

By the way, I can't believe no one mentioned LACROSSE as a sport on the rise???

I would add Arena Football and Lacrosse to sports on the rise.

Arena will continue to rise because mid-market cities can have their own "professional" team. The Rochester Raiders had 5,320 spectators at their last game at Blue Cross Arena. Games on Monday nights when there isn't Monday Night Football was a good move, too.

Lacrosse is 3-D Hockey, with the "puck" moving on the Z-axis as well as X and Y-axis. It has similar speed, and much more scoring. Kids are latching on to this sport like crazy.

Respectfully disagree Pete. I live in Columbus now and for the most part my friends who are from could care less about the Crew. Their love is football and some hockey. The only reason or the the only people who care about it is the population that has migrated here from other parts of the world and that's great if that's what the like but it's just the game here and I really have no doubt it will ever be.

soccer becomes a lot less dull when you have a strong rooting interest. Suddenly what looks boring on tv is high drama. Baseball is far far more boring than soccer but people are passionate about it because they care about outcomes, they know particular players and know the history behind the matchup. Just like all great sports, the teams are a product of the passions of the community they represent.

Soccer, for that reason, isn't going to match up with the big sports anytime soon - but that doesn't mean that it won't ever be. In 50 years things might be very different.