How Much did Rumsfeld Know?

Another example of the cluster f*ck that this administration created from the initial decision to engage in a war of choice that was not necessary while taking our eye off the ball to the mismanagement of the execution of the war and its aftermath.

It is no wonder Bush is the most unpopular president in recent American history. He will no doubt go down in history as one of the worst presidents that we have ever had (if not the worst). Certainly, his decisions have had the most catastrophic consequences.

As a Republican, I am embarrassed. As a Republican, I feel fortunate that the Democrats are engaged in a circular firing squad.

It is depressing how much goodwill this administration squandered as well as the opportunities that it squandered to accomplish traditional paleo conservative goals.

As a Republican, I am embarrassed. As a Republican, I feel fortunate that the Democrats are engaged in a circular firing squad.

It is depressing how much goodwill this administration squandered as well as the opportunities that it squandered to accomplish traditional paleo conservative goals.

I used to say I am a Republican, the older I get, the more I identify with the Libertarians. The Republicans and Democrats are both worthless.

What do you libertarians want?

Less government, less taxes, more emphasis on personal responsibility and civil liberties...in a nutshell, keep the gov't as far away from my private life and property as possible.

Less government, less taxes, more emphasis on personal responsibility and civil liberties...in a nutshell, keep the gov't as far away from my private life and property as possible.

Yes the things Republicans SAY they want, and convince people they stand for....but of course their actions belie their words.

Ron Paul is more of a Libertarian than a Repub.

Yes the things Republicans SAY they want, and convince people they stand for....but of course their actions belie their words.

The downfall of the Republicans is that the Conservatives (small government gun toting folk) and Religious Right (Bible thumping tongue speaking moralistic govt-in-your bedroom motherment types) are under the same umbrella.

The Dems have a similar problem that their JFKennedy Dems (government that cares but doesn't spend to oblivion) join up with their Left Loonies (motherment and spending and Unions to the death).

If you could get those reasonable JF Kennedy Dems to somehow join with the Conservatives--finding their middle ground--that could be an attractive party. I wouldn't like the JF Kennedy Dems but I'd take it over either party's current compromise.

In retrospect, Reagan's "big tent" looks like a really bad idea. It was a strategy well executed by him to win the White House. But 30 years out, you've got a Republican party whose core principles are so compromised that it can't seriously claim to stand for small government and less taxes.

So true, but the Dems are just as compromised. So there really is nothing left. Having 4 political parties would be ideal.

Maybe Rumsfeld would have been more aware of what was going on in the Pentagon if he'd spent more time doing his job as Secretary of Defense and less doing Powell's as Secretary of State. :wallbash:

There's certain details in that article that don't ring true and conflict with the Army's official history and "lessons learned" documentation (V Corps' focus being only "tactical"? CENTCOM and CFLCC "pulling out" of Iraq? Ridiculous). But overall...how could anyone in the government claim to not know the initial occupation plan had a 12-18 month time-frame? Even I knew that. I'm sure if someone did a little hunting through video archives they could find Rumsfeld saying so.

I'll have to have my wife ask Rummy about this article. Sure, his answer will be bull sh--...but it might be informative bull sh--.

Um, you realize he was responding to a post that asked what Libertarians want, don't you?

Um, you realize he was responding to a post that asked what Libertarians want, don't you?

Probably not. But nothing stands between blzrul and a good anti-Republican rant.

Ironic, considering she used to be a Bush Ranger in Texas...

Probably not. But nothing stands between blzrul and a good anti-Republican rant.

Ironic, considering she used to be a Bush Ranger in Texas...

Is that the same as being a Rump Ranger but for chicks? :wallbash:

The book "Cobra II" convinced me of how much of an idiot Rummy was. It outlines the planning that led up to the invasion and how Rumsfeld would not listen to his Generals. Tommy Franks is another one. He didn't have the intestinal fortitude to stand up to Rumsfeld, so I hold him accountable as well. I am looking forward to reading Gen Sanchez' book.

The book "Cobra II" convinced me of how much of an idiot Rummy was. It outlines the planning that led up to the invasion and how Rumsfeld would not listen to his Generals. Tommy Franks is another one. He didn't have the intestinal fortitude to stand up to Rumsfeld, so I hold him accountable as well. I am looking forward to reading Gen Sanchez' book.

Well said.

The civilian "leadership" has been horrible and has been a disservice to our generals as well as all members of our military.

That's along the lines of what I saw on PBS Frontline years back (called Rumsfeld's War). The other military folks ripped into Franks for giving in to him. It goes into how Powell was shut out of the rebuilding process. Powell was expected to run that part of the show but Rummy wanted to do it so he got Cheney (who wasn't overly fond of Powell due to PGW days) to back him.

UH yeah actually I DO, and that question had been answered. While I am truly flattered that you skipped through the thread to jump to read MY post, perhaps you should have taken the time to take in the complete conversation.

That's along the lines of what I saw on PBS Frontline years back (called Rumsfeld's War). The other military folks ripped into Franks for giving in to him. It goes into how Powell was shut out of the rebuilding process. Powell was expected to run that part of the show but Rummy wanted to do it so he got Cheney (who wasn't overly fond of Powell due to PGW days) to back him.

Does that even make sense? Generals (DoD) were mad that Powell (DoS) was being shut out of the rebuilding, so Rumsfeld got Cheney to reinstate DoD as the rebuilding front team, even though Bremer was from DoS, and State was running everything since Garner left?