Memo to WGR

Memo to WGR:

-Professional Hockey is about the seventh or eight most popular sport in the United States, try to mix in some new show topics (i.e. UB Bulls Football, Big 4 Basketball, Niagara or Canisius Hockey, the NBA, N.C.A.A. Basketball, N.C.A.A. Football, Professional Golf....etc). I understand that you are the Sabres network and you broadcast their games and they are currently or were currently the hot ticket in town but please stop shoving hockey down our throats.

-Don't put down your callers. You promote listeners to call up with their opinions and then you cut them off and dispute their points (This means you Mike Schopp).

-End the "Whiner Line". Enough said.

-Try mixing in an interview once in awhile.

-Bring back Peter King. He actually brought NFL credibility to your station.

-Bring in Larry Felser and get rid of Jerry Sullivan. Jerry Sullivan is the exact same whiney individual that Mike Schopp is. Larry Felser is a great story teller, offers credibility, and gives another perspective that is not Jerry Sullivan.

-Keep: Howard Simon, Bulldog, Dennis Williams

-Run: Mike Schopp, Jermery White, Jerry Sullivan, whoever the current program director is

-Add: Peter King (again), Larry Felser, John Muprhy, Interviews

also...Don't be afraid to bring up the only pro team in town who is in the playoffs every year...the NLL's Buffalo Bandits

putting down the callers is something Schopp learned from Dickerson...God only knows how that idiot kept a spot on the air for so long. If Schopp sticks around, he has to be beaten upside the head so he forgets all the stupidity that Dickerson taught him

also...Don't be afraid to bring up the only pro team in town who is in the playoffs every year...the NLL's Buffalo Bandits

putting down the callers is something Schopp learned from Dickerson...God only knows how that idiot kept a spot on the air for so long. If Schopp sticks around, he has to be beaten upside the head so he forgets all the stupidity that Dickerson taught him

I disagree...Schopp was an idiot from birth.

peter king has restrictions by his current job and he could no longer be on the show regularly...this was according to peter king last summer sometime.

Obvious schoop is an ass, however most of you still tune in and listen and hear the ads so they are doing their job...right?

Its their job to lead very opinionated conversations and express differences of opinion. The best way to do that is step on people's toes and get them interested in a discussion.

Yeah, they beat hockey to death...but some people are interested in it (obviously not the majority of people on this board)

They should, however, mix in topics about college sports like you said..would definitely increase local college popularity.

Its just sports talk radio people...lets relax!...if you hate it, then just stop listening..a ratings drop will change their tune.

Its just sports talk radio people...lets relax!...if you hate it, then just stop listening..a ratings drop will change their tune.

12 posts in three years...and this is what you've felt compelled to talk about?

Do all you 'single digit' folks have multiple IDs that you just whip out at the drop of a hat?

12 posts in three years...and this is what you've felt compelled to talk about?

Do all you 'single digit' folks have multiple IDs that you just whip out at the drop of a hat?

This is my only account, but obviously I dont post that often...i apologize if this offends you

Also, I know its difficult to comprehend, but 12 is a two digit number.

However, when i grow up i hope i can have as many posts as you

peter king has restrictions by his current job and he could no longer be on the show regularly...this was according to peter king last summer sometime.

Obvious schoop is an ass, however most of you still tune in and listen and hear the ads so they are doing their job...right?

Its their job to lead very opinionated conversations and express differences of opinion. The best way to do that is step on people's toes and get them interested in a discussion.

Yeah, they beat hockey to death...but some people are interested in it (obviously not the majority of people on this board)

They should, however, mix in topics about college sports like you said..would definitely increase local college popularity.

I stopped listening to those 2 along time ago..The stupidity was neverending...I listen to gr for sabre games and Jim Rome only..

A few thoughts:

-Hockey may not be popular nationwide, but it certainly is in Buffalo, even when the Sabres aren't playing. From Alan Pergament's latest column:

Sports on the Air: WNY pulls top ratings on Versus

Not surprisingly, Buffalo was the top-rated market during Versus coverage of the first round of the National Hockey League playoffs.

The 26 games averaged a 1.9 rating here, representing 1.9 percent of households (about 13,000). That’s 36 percent higher than the 1.4 Versus averaged here in 2007 when the Sabres were in the playoffs.

It isn’t surprising that Versus ratings went up here without the Sabres because local fans watched Rick Jeanneret and Jim Lorentz call firstround games on MSG a year ago and that hurt Versus viewership. Nor is it surprising that this market had a higher Versus rating than the markets of qualifying teams whose games were carried by local broadcasters.

Naturally, the Washington Capitals’ series with the Philadelphia Flyers and ex-Sabres Daniel Briere and Martin Biron had the most local interest on Versus. Philly’s overtime win in Game Seven had a 5.4 rating. Montreal’s Game Seven win over Boston had a 2.6 rating on Versus.

NBC’s exclusive playoff coverage last weekend couldn’t beat the unseasonably gorgeous Western New York weekend weather. On Saturday, the Flyers-Caps game averaged a 4.0 rating on Channel 2. The Philly and D. C. stations beat Buffalo this time. They were the only NBC affiliates with higher ratings. Detroit’s Sunday win over Nashville had a 2.9 rating on Channel 2. It was the fourth-rated NBC affiliate behind Detroit, Nashville and Pittsburgh.

-John Murphy is unavailable due to contractual obligations to Citadel.

And although Andy has probably already read this thread, why not send him your suggestions? Here's his e-mail address.

I disagree...Schopp was an idiot from birth.

I don't know....I admittedly only heard him on rare occasions because WNSA didn't always come in that well where I am, but I thought he was at least decent back then. When he went to WGR, he got teamed up with Dickerson and it all went dowhill from there.

This is my only account, but obviously I dont post that often...i apologize if this offends you

Also, I know its difficult to comprehend, but 12 is a two digit number.

However, when i grow up i hope i can have as many posts as you

My continuing TSW quest is to understand why there are so many 'single digits' [it's a metaphor, bub] that come out of the woodwork to post about inane things, only to sink back below the surface of anonymity for months or even years.

But given your spiffy repost, I can only assume that you're Jeremy White incognito...

I don't know....I admittedly only heard him on rare occasions because WNSA didn't always come in that well where I am, but I thought he was at least decent back then. When he went to WGR, he got teamed up with Dickerson and it all went dowhill from there.

Dickerson may be an arrogant ass, but, he is the most knowledgable football regular that GR55 has. I don't mean he is knowledgable as an "insider" like Peter King, but knowledgable about the actual game of football. I think he should stay.... :thumbsup:

My continuing TSW quest is to understand why there are so many 'single digits' [it's a metaphor, bub] that come out of the woodwork to post about inane things, only to sink back below the surface of anonymity for months or even years.

But given your spiffy repost, I can only assume that you're Jeremy White incognito...

Doubtful. Whitey, like Brad, was never afraid to post under his own name.

I'm convinced that much of the WGR attitude is dictated by programming consultants. I know Schopp was not as annoying and negative when he was on WNSA. I'm struck at how WGR strives to turn everything negative, especially when discussing the Bills. I recall last week's show topic: "What could happen in the draft that would make you swear off the Bills forever?" Geez, are we not straining a bit, guys? I think the suits believe that negativity drives ratings. That Buffalo fans need to constantly feel abused and "slapped in the face" (a favorite 'GR phrase!)

Ironically WEEI in Boston and WGR are owned by the same company, Entercom. Once in a while they will play cuts of 'GR just to make fun of how lame they are.

PTR

I'm convinced that much of the WGR attitude is dictated by programming consultants. I know Schopp was not as annoying and negative when he was on WNSA. I'm struck at how WGR strives to turn everything negative, especially when discussing the Bills. I recall last week's show topic: "What could happen in the draft that would make you swear off the Bills forever?" Geez, are we not straining a bit, guys? I think the suits believe that negativity drives ratings. That Buffalo fans need to constantly feel abused and "slapped in the face" (a favorite 'GR phrase!)

Ironically WEEI in Boston and WGR are owned by the same company, Entercom. Once in a while they will play cuts of 'GR just to make fun of how lame they are.

PTR

I dunno...Buffalo sports fans can tend to be a little, uh, negative...look at some of the posts here...

Idiot radio personalities attract their biggest group of listeners - idiots. Idiots are great group for advertisers for they believe anything they are told.

WGR Salesman: I do not care how unbelievable you make your commercials, our listeners will believe it and buy your products.

Advertiser: I can not believe that. Show me some proof.

WGR Salesman: Do you listen to WGR?

Advertiser: No. I am not an idiot.

WGR Salesman: That is exactly the type of listeners we have. They will buy anything.

Advertiser: Sold

Lots of us "single digit" posters lost our rankings when the server crashed. That being said, you are an arrogant ass if you think you have to have 1000's of posts for a point or opinion to be valid.

This topic has not turned into what I had hoped for. Calling each other out for too many posts or lack of posting borders on the utterly pathetic side.

I agree that Dickerson adds some football knowledge but his shtick has grown very tired. I also agree that Schopp was much easier to stomach on WNSA. I can't explain why this is. I'm thinking maybe it's the program director at WGR. I can understand why a call in show host would get annoyed at callers once in awhile but I can't see this happening all of the time. I do enjoy Sabres talk during the season but I don't need it 9-10 months out of the year. I like some Rome and I usually tune into the begining of Schopp and The Bulldog, then I get immediately annoyed by their show topic and I switch over to Sirius and listen to the NFL network. If you have Sirius I strongly suggest listening to Pat Kirwan on the Afternoon Blitz from 3-7. Anyway this town really could use a competitor to WGR and I hope one can evolve.

Lots of us "single digit" posters lost our rankings when the server crashed. That being said, you are an arrogant ass if you think you have to have 1000's of posts for a point or opinion to be valid.

I don't care about the count so much, but the 'hit and run' posts by doppelgangers who tend to post extreme pro, con or dipsh*t thoughts. I've always suspected that a large share are 'trial ballons' by regular posters who don't have the 'boys to post under their own name, or are done to stir the pot for some reason, not unlike the 'GR talking heads.

If you find me arrogant, please hit ignore as fast as you can...I certainly do, especially with 'single digits' and worry that SDS has some unstated limit on how large a list can become... :thumbsup: