Projecting next year's starters

Butler is a LT -

Brad Butler is a Right Guard, not a Left Tackle. The positions he has played for the Bills are RG, where he played most of the time last year, and he played a bit of RIGHT Tackle, which is the other position he played in college. Right now Butler is projected to be the starter at Right Guard and the line looks like this from left to right:

Jason Peters Derrick Dockery Melvin Fowler Brad Butler Langston Walker

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point. I forgot to factor in Butler when considering depth at tackle. We could move Whittle or Preston to RG and slide Butler to tackle.

Again, Butler is an option at tackle, but he has NEVER played left tackle, not even in college at Virginia. He did play right tackle, which is again why we only need eight or nine linemen on the team because many of them are versatile enough to play multiple positions in the event of an injury.

A well gelled line, a fresh new TE target that hopefully won't drop catchable, clutch balls, Beast Mode, Action, 2 speedster recievers, a great slot reciever and finally a big #2 target, and a competent OC.

I still think Trent will have the shakes and what not, but at least there won't be mass flip flopping.

The D is healthy, has a strong, strong, STRONG D-line, a very solid/smart LB corp, solid corners and still in my opinion the greatest young safety tandem in the NFL (they only have this for one more year, they have to prove they're the best this year :thumbsup:

Barring injuries, this will be a fantastic year for the Buffalo Bills.

Let me help you with the math. Most pro teams try to go about 50% run and 50% pass. Sometimes they run out of the 4 receiver (no TE) set and sometimes they pass out of the two TE set but generally they use one tight end which means half the time they run and half the time they throw. So that would be 50/50, but if you watch the games at all, they often keep the tight end tight in passing situations to help in pass blocking. Thus, if you remember algebra class, the tight end would be blocking 75% of the time and going out on a pattern about 25% of the time. It might be 80/20, it might be 70/30, but it does not negate my point that more often than not when the Tight End is on the field, he is blocking. Thus a godd blocking, average receiving tight end may be more valuable than a good receiving , bad blocking tight end. The Bills seem to value the later much to the chagrin to many on this Board who only care about their recieving ability

Are you still not realizing that you've made up all of those statistics based on your opinion?

You have no idea the percentage of run vs pass plays in the NFL.

You have no idea what percentage of running plays come out of each formation.

You have no idea what percentage of passing plays the TE stays in for.

And you have no idea what percentage of passing plays the TE goes out for.

You made all of this crap up, why are you continuing with an argument who's platform for basis is dependent upon statistics that you have not researched?

And lastly, why do you continue to not understand that I said, "If a TE can show he can block as good as Royal and also demonstrate he can be a receiving threat, Royal would be expendable" I, by no means, said to trade a blocking TE for a receiving one. Pay attention.

I will be absolutely SHOCKED if Royal gets cut. He is, albeit unfortunately, by far our best run blocker and very likely our best reciever of the tight ends we have right now. He's also one of the more outspoken Bills, and there's reason to believe he's well-liked in the locker room. I'd say he's got about a 95% chance of making the team.

He may suck, but he's the best we've got.

This is just my observation. I have no stats to back this up but I think Trent spreads the ball around much better than JP. I would be willing to bet TE's, RB's and WR's not named Lee Evans caught more passes when Trent was in the game. Maybe Trent just reads the defenses better but JP seems to get on the field and just look for Evans. I think our offense will be much better this year if for no other reason Tent will make defenses cover all the eligable recievers and not put all their focus on Evans. Lee will have a much better season as a result of more one on one match ups.

OK.. let's put this to rest once and for all please. Trent does not spread the ball around more than JP. You may think he does. You may want him to. But, the facts are... he does not. So please, lets stop just creating imaginary notions to convince us that JP blows. The numbers are detailed below. (disclaimer: I hate math, so please feel free to make sure I added properly. The stats are copy/pasted so they're accurate as listed on nfl.com, but the summary at the end I added up.)

According to the numbers, its quote clear - both QB's spread the ball around remarkably similar. Yes, Trent completed slightly more passes to the TEs; however, JP completed slightly more passes to the RBs. So, if you combine them into a single category (TE/RB), the numbers are very similar. Furthermore, in comparison, to all WRs vs Evans, both QBs favored Evans on roughly 1/5 of their completions and the other WRs on about 36% of their completions.

So, please, let's discard the erroneous notion that JP only throws long passes to Evans. He clearly completed just about as many passes to TEs, RBs and WRs not named Lee Evans as did Trent. Perhaps Trent looks better throwing 43.7% of his completions to the TEs/RBs than JP while he's completing 42.3% of passes. I don't know. But, they both spread the ball around quite well and in similar fashion.

==========================

per nfl.com

wk 1 (JP) Rec. Yds

J. Reed 4 37

R. Parrish 2 25

R. Royal 1 12

M. Lynch 2 9

A. Thomas 1 8

L. Evans 2 5

K. Everett 1 3

P. Price 1 -2

------------------------------

wk2 (JP)

R. Parrish 6 56

P. Price 3 33

M. Lynch 1 21

L. Evans 2 17

M. Gaines 1 14

R. Neufeld 1 8

R. Royal 1 5

wk3 (TE)

R. Parrish 2 27

J. Reed 2 27

P. Price 2 23

L. Evans 1 7

M. Lynch 1 2 (JP 1 4)

R. Neufeld 1 6

M. Gaines 1 5

wk 4 (TE)

L. Evans 6 72

J. Reed 4 64

R. Parrish 4 33

R. Royal 3 31

M. Gaines 4 20

P. Price 1 14

wk 5 (TE)

R. Parrish 6 37

J. Reed 5 35

R. Royal 4 34

M. Lynch 2 32

A. Thomas 2 16

L. Evans 1 12

M. Gaines 2 6

D. Wright 1 4

wk 7 (TE)

L. Evans 5 98

J. Reed 1 25

M. Lynch 3 14

R. Parrish 1 9

M. Gaines 1 7

wk 8 (TE/JP)

L. Evans 3 36 (JP 2 102)

J. Reed 4 40

R. Royal 2 19

R. Parrish 1 12

M. Gaines 1 11

D. Schouman 1 9 (JP)

D. Wright 1 8

M. Lynch 1 7

F. Jackson 1 -1

wk 9 (JP)

L. Evans 9 165

J. Reed 6 55

R. Royal 2 35

M. Gaines 3 22

A. Thomas 1 11

D. Schouman 2 10

M. Lynch 1 7

R. Parrish 1 -2

wk 10 (JP)

L. Evans 4 65

J. Reed 3 40

M. Gaines 2 28

M. Lynch 3 24

wk 11 (JP)

R. Parrish 1 47

J. Reed 3 44

L. Evans 4 40

An. Thomas 3 15

M. Gaines 1 13

F. Jackson 2 9

D. Wright 1 5

wk 12 (JP)

J. Reed 6 50

F. Jackson 5 47

An. Thomas 8 45

R. Parrish 4 26

L. Evans 2 19

M. Gaines 1 19

R. Royal 1 5

wk 13 (TE)

F. Jackson 4 69

J. Reed 5 67

L. Evans 4 51

R. Parrish 4 36

R. Royal 4 21

M. Gaines 1 13

wk 14 (TE)

L. Evans 2 79

R. Royal 3 46

J. Reed 3 30

F. Jackson 1 6

M. Gaines 1 3

R. Parrish 1 1

wk 15 (TE)

L. Evans 4 36

F. Jackson 3 36

J. Reed 3 29

M. Gaines 2 14

R. Royal 1 9

wk 16 (TE)

L. Evans 3 43

M. Lynch 2 42

R. Parrish 1 42

M. Gaines 2 23

J. Reed 1 11

wk 17 (TE)

R. Royal 3 31

F. Jackson 6 24

J. Reed 1 24

M. Lynch 1 22

M. Gaines 2 17

S. Aiken 1 10

R. Parrish 1 3

L. Evans 1 2

JP Losman (111 completions):

TEs -18 (16.2%)

RBs -29 (26.1%)

TE/RB -47 (42.3%)

WRs (other than Evans) -40 (36.0%)

Evans - 24 (21.6%)

T. Edwards (151 completions):

TEs -37 (24.5%)

RBs -29 (19.2%)

TE/RB -66 (43.7%)

WRs (other than Evans) -55 (36.4%)

Evans -30 (19.9%)

Again, Butler is an option at tackle, but he has NEVER played left tackle, not even in college at Virginia. He did play right tackle, which is again why we only need eight or nine linemen on the team because many of them are versatile enough to play multiple positions in the event of an injury.

Regardless of your rant, Butler is the best option on the team to take over at LT if Peters is injured for an extended period.

The fact that we would have no one to take his place at RG shows how thin the OL is - and how stubborn the front office is in spending mid round draft picks on the OL.

OK.. let's put this to rest once and for all please. Trent does not spread the ball around more than JP. You may think he does. You may want him to. But, the facts are... he does not. So please, lets stop just creating imaginary notions to convince us that JP blows. The numbers are detailed below. (disclaimer: I hate math, so please feel free to make sure I added properly. The stats are copy/pasted so they're accurate as listed on nfl.com, but the summary at the end I added up.)

According to the numbers, its quote clear - both QB's spread the ball around remarkably similar. Yes, Trent completed slightly more passes to the TEs; however, JP completed slightly more passes to the RBs. So, if you combine them into a single category (TE/RB), the numbers are very similar. Furthermore, in comparison, to all WRs vs Evans, both QBs favored Evans on roughly 1/5 of their completions and the other WRs on about 36% of their completions.

So, please, let's discard the erroneous notion that JP only throws long passes to Evans. He clearly completed just about as many passes to TEs, RBs and WRs not named Lee Evans as did Trent. Perhaps Trent looks better throwing 43.7% of his completions to the TEs/RBs than JP while he's completing 42.3% of passes. I don't know. But, they both spread the ball around quite well and in similar fashion.

per nfl.com

wk 1 (JP) Rec. Yds

J. Reed 4 37

R. Parrish 2 25

R. Royal 1 12

M. Lynch 2 9

A. Thomas 1 8

L. Evans 2 5

K. Everett 1 3

P. Price 1 -2

wk2 (JP)

R. Parrish 6 56

P. Price 3 33

M. Lynch 1 21

L. Evans 2 17

M. Gaines 1 14

R. Neufeld 1 8

R. Royal 1 5

wk3 (TE)

R. Parrish 2 27

J. Reed 2 27

P. Price 2 23

L. Evans 1 7

M. Lynch 1 2 (JP 1 4)

R. Neufeld 1 6

M. Gaines 1 5

wk 4 (TE)

L. Evans 6 72

J. Reed 4 64

R. Parrish 4 33

R. Royal 3 31

M. Gaines 4 20

P. Price 1 14

wk 5 (TE)

R. Parrish 6 37

J. Reed 5 35

R. Royal 4 34

M. Lynch 2 32

A. Thomas 2 16

L. Evans 1 12

M. Gaines 2 6

D. Wright 1 4

wk 7 (TE)

L. Evans 5 98

J. Reed 1 25

M. Lynch 3 14

R. Parrish 1 9

M. Gaines 1 7

wk 8 (TE/JP)

L. Evans 3 36 (JP 2 102)

J. Reed 4 40

R. Royal 2 19

R. Parrish 1 12

M. Gaines 1 11

D. Schouman 1 9 (JP)

D. Wright 1 8

M. Lynch 1 7

F. Jackson 1 -1

wk 9 (JP)

L. Evans 9 165

J. Reed 6 55

R. Royal 2 35

M. Gaines 3 22

A. Thomas 1 11

D. Schouman 2 10

M. Lynch 1 7

R. Parrish 1 -2

wk 10 (JP)

L. Evans 4 65

J. Reed 3 40

M. Gaines 2 28

M. Lynch 3 24

wk 11 (JP)

R. Parrish 1 47

J. Reed 3 44

L. Evans 4 40

An. Thomas 3 15

M. Gaines 1 13

F. Jackson 2 9

D. Wright 1 5

wk 12 (JP)

J. Reed 6 50

F. Jackson 5 47

An. Thomas 8 45

R. Parrish 4 26

L. Evans 2 19

M. Gaines 1 19

R. Royal 1 5

wk 13 (TE)

F. Jackson 4 69

J. Reed 5 67

L. Evans 4 51

R. Parrish 4 36

R. Royal 4 21

M. Gaines 1 13

wk 14 (TE)

L. Evans 2 79

R. Royal 3 46

J. Reed 3 30

F. Jackson 1 6

M. Gaines 1 3

R. Parrish 1 1

wk 15 (TE)

L. Evans 4 36

F. Jackson 3 36

J. Reed 3 29

M. Gaines 2 14

R. Royal 1 9

wk 16 (TE)

L. Evans 3 43

M. Lynch 2 42

R. Parrish 1 42

M. Gaines 2 23

J. Reed 1 11

wk 17 (TE)

R. Royal 3 31

F. Jackson 6 24

J. Reed 1 24

M. Lynch 1 22

M. Gaines 2 17

S. Aiken 1 10

R. Parrish 1 3

L. Evans 1 2

TEs -18 (16.2%)

RBs -29 (26.1%)

TE/RB -47 (42.3%)

Evans - 24 (21.6%)

TEs -37 (24.5%)

RBs -29 (19.2%)

TE/RB -66 (43.7%)

Evans -30 (19.9%)

I am surprised by the percentages. Good work here. Both QB's had roughly the same amount of playing time. There is a 40 completion difference and Edwards completed twice as many passes to the TE's. Would you attribute that to: drops by Royal, JP not throwing to the TE, JP lack of accuracy on short passes or something else?

about our D: good point above that it was 18th in points.

with all of the guys hurt we had who at the end?

mcgee

greer (was he hurt)

wilson

whoever backed up whitner

ellison

dipizza

crow

aaron (and he was dinged)

tripps

kevin williams

kelsay (again, dinged a bit)

in the last game againt philly.

that's just horrible.

the following are positions that have been upgraded

qb (no longer a rook)

TE (fine, FAs)

FB

HB (no rook + picks)

WR

returner

CB

saftey (ko is healthy)

2 starting lbs (poz and mitchel)

2 starting DTs (stroud and mccargo are now starting)

back up DT

back up DE

in some cases we are going from street free agents and 6th round picks to pro bowlers and cagey vets.

in terms of points allowed i think we should be top 8 or so.

I am surprised by the percentages. Good work here. Both QB's had roughly the same amount of playing time. There is a 40 completion difference and Edwards completed twice as many passes to the TE's. Would you attribute that to: drops by Royal, JP not throwing to the TE, JP lack of accuracy on short passes or something else?

Trent Edwards had a similar deficit in completions to the running backs. Would you attribute that to: drops by Lynch, Trent not throwing to the RB, Trent lack of accuracy on short passes or something else?

Trent Edwards had a similar deficit in completions to the running backs. Would you attribute that to: drops by Lynch, Trent not throwing to the RB, Trent lack of accuracy on short passes or something else?

I would say that Edwards had 29 completions to RB's and Losman had 29 completions to the RB's. But I like the distribution of passes from Trent better. 56%-WR, 24%-TE and 19%-RB. The argument was Robert Royal and his lack of productivity at the TE position. My response was Trent distributes the ball better to the TE. I would also make the argument that you want the tight end to catch more passes than the RB. If I had to guess a route run by a TE is probably 5-15 yards off the line of scrimmage while a RB would run a route of 0-10.

I would say that Edwards had 29 completions to RB's and Losman had 29 completions to the RB's.
Trent had more pass attempts. Percentage-wise, Trent has a similar deficit in his passes to the running backs that Losman has in his passes to the tight ends. I'm of the opinion we're splitting hairs and none of this matters, but if one is to be acknowledged, the other should be as well.

I would also make the argument that you want the tight end to catch more passes than the RB. If I had to guess a route run by a TE is probably 5-15 yards off the line of scrimmage while a RB would run a route of 0-10.

Not on this team. I'd much rather get the ball to Marshawn Lynch or Fred Jackson than Robert Royal or Michael Gaines.

Trent had more pass attempts. Percentage-wise, Trent has a similar deficit in his passes to the running backs that Losman has in his passes to the tight ends. I'm of the opinion we're splitting hairs and none of this matters, but if one is to be acknowledged, the other should be as well.

Not on this team. I'd much rather get the ball to Marshawn Lynch or Fred Jackson than Robert Royal or Michael Gaines.

In terms of percentages Trent completed less passes to the RB's than JP and I too would prefer to have the ball in the hands of Marshawn but utilizing the TE position opens up the offense. Defenses are already keying in on Marshawn, Fred and Lee already. Finding that big body down the field draws coverage to the middle of the field and away from Lee. I just think Trent takes advantage of all the people on the field better than JP. Completeing a pass to a reciever 5-10 yards further down the field than another reciever is never the wrong answer.

Some thoughts about the offense:

2. From what I have read already about Viti, I think he is the favorite to win the starting FB job. He seems like he has the kind of leadership and toughguy mentality that the coaching staff will want from the FB position. Sounds like he can play, too.

Any thoughts?

He'll certainly be the most motivated player in camp ... if he doesn't make the team, he gets shipped to Iraq! Talk about pressure ....

In terms of percentages Trent completed less passes to the RB's than JP and I too would prefer to have the ball in the hands of Marshawn but utilizing the TE position opens up the offense. Defenses are already keying in on Marshawn, Fred and Lee already. Finding that big body down the field draws coverage to the middle of the field and away from Lee. I just think Trent takes advantage of all the people on the field better than JP.

Nobody keyed on Lynch or Jackson in the passing game. Thats a crock-o'-sh*t.

Completeing a pass to a reciever 5-10 yards further down the field than another reciever is never the wrong answer.

It absolutely can be the wrong decision. Under normal circumstances, I want the ball in the hands of someone who can do something with it. On a 1st and 10, if I've got a decision between Robert Royal open 5 yards downfield and nobody on Lynch in the flat...I'm dumping it down, and yelling at Royal to get a hat on somebody!

If its a third down, and their positions on the field are the difference between punting and moving the chains, then I can see your point. But oftentimes yards after catch is where your chunks of yardage come from, and for that reason I'd much rather have the ball in the hands of a playmaker, even if it means sacrificing 5 or 6 yards at first. There's no upside to hitting Robert Royal over the middle...what you see is what you get.

This is the wrong argument, anyway, as I doubt quarterbacks go through all this before they throw the ball. They just hit the first open man they see.

per nfl.com

wk 1 (JP) Rec. Yds

J. Reed 4 37

R. Parrish 2 25

R. Royal 1 12

M. Lynch 2 9

A. Thomas 1 8

L. Evans 2 5

K. Everett 1 3

P. Price 1 -2

wk2 (JP)

R. Parrish 6 56

P. Price 3 33

M. Lynch 1 21

L. Evans 2 17

M. Gaines 1 14

R. Neufeld 1 8

R. Royal 1 5

wk3 (TE)

R. Parrish 2 27

J. Reed 2 27

P. Price 2 23

L. Evans 1 7

M. Lynch 1 2 (JP 1 4)

R. Neufeld 1 6

M. Gaines 1 5

wk 4 (TE)

L. Evans 6 72

J. Reed 4 64

R. Parrish 4 33

R. Royal 3 31

M. Gaines 4 20

P. Price 1 14

wk 5 (TE)

R. Parrish 6 37

J. Reed 5 35

R. Royal 4 34

M. Lynch 2 32

A. Thomas 2 16

L. Evans 1 12

M. Gaines 2 6

D. Wright 1 4

wk 7 (TE)

L. Evans 5 98

J. Reed 1 25

M. Lynch 3 14

R. Parrish 1 9

M. Gaines 1 7

wk 8 (TE/JP)

L. Evans 3 36 (JP 2 102)

J. Reed 4 40

R. Royal 2 19

R. Parrish 1 12

M. Gaines 1 11

D. Schouman 1 9 (JP)

D. Wright 1 8

M. Lynch 1 7

F. Jackson 1 -1

wk 9 (JP)

L. Evans 9 165

J. Reed 6 55

R. Royal 2 35

M. Gaines 3 22

A. Thomas 1 11

D. Schouman 2 10

M. Lynch 1 7

R. Parrish 1 -2

wk 10 (JP)

L. Evans 4 65

J. Reed 3 40

M. Gaines 2 28

M. Lynch 3 24

wk 11 (JP)

R. Parrish 1 47

J. Reed 3 44

L. Evans 4 40

An. Thomas 3 15

M. Gaines 1 13

F. Jackson 2 9

D. Wright 1 5

wk 12 (JP)

J. Reed 6 50

F. Jackson 5 47

An. Thomas 8 45

R. Parrish 4 26

L. Evans 2 19

M. Gaines 1 19

R. Royal 1 5

wk 13 (TE)

F. Jackson 4 69

J. Reed 5 67

L. Evans 4 51

R. Parrish 4 36

R. Royal 4 21

M. Gaines 1 13

wk 14 (TE)

L. Evans 2 79

R. Royal 3 46

J. Reed 3 30

F. Jackson 1 6

M. Gaines 1 3

R. Parrish 1 1

wk 15 (TE)

L. Evans 4 36

F. Jackson 3 36

J. Reed 3 29

M. Gaines 2 14

R. Royal 1 9

wk 16 (TE)

L. Evans 3 43

M. Lynch 2 42

R. Parrish 1 42

M. Gaines 2 23

J. Reed 1 11

wk 17 (TE)

R. Royal 3 31

F. Jackson 6 24

J. Reed 1 24

M. Lynch 1 22

M. Gaines 2 17

S. Aiken 1 10

R. Parrish 1 3

L. Evans 1 2

TEs -18 (16.2%)

RBs -29 (26.1%)

TE/RB -47 (42.3%)

Evans - 24 (21.6%)

TEs -37 (24.5%)

RBs -29 (19.2%)

TE/RB -66 (43.7%)

Evans -30 (19.9%)

I appreciate you showing those numbers....it just seems to me from watching the games that the ball was shared a lot more when Edwards was in.....Evans got his catches but was not always the guy that had to have the ball....and Edwards seem to look for his Tight Ends a lot more.

I dont know....maybe its just me.

Nobody keyed on Lynch or Jackson in the passing game. Thats a crock-o'-sh*t.

It absolutely can be the wrong decision. Under normal circumstances, I want the ball in the hands of someone who can do something with it. On a 1st and 10, if I've got a decision between Robert Royal open 5 yards downfield and nobody on Lynch in the flat...I'm dumping it down, and yelling at Royal to get a hat on somebody!

If its a third down, and their positions on the field are the difference between punting and moving the chains, then I can see your point. But oftentimes yards after catch is where your chunks of yardage come from, and for that reason I'd much rather have the ball in the hands of a playmaker, even if it means sacrificing 5 or 6 yards at first. There's no upside to hitting Robert Royal over the middle...what you see is what you get.

This is the wrong argument, anyway, as I doubt quarterbacks go through all this before they throw the ball. They just hit the first open man they see.

So what you are saying is defenses keyed in on stopping the RB's for running plays and let them run wild on passing plays? Also, if it is a 3rd down I want the pass to go to the person who is past the first down marker. I don't care what position that person plays. As I have already stated I believe a TE runs deeper routes than RB's so the better option would most likely be to the TE. If the TE is further down the field we should get the 1st. The upside of hitting the TE is that teams will be forced to guard them. Again, that will open up the whole offense.