Projecting next year's starters

The draft is over, and for the first time we have a decent look at what next year's starting lineup might look like.

Offense

QB Trent Edwards (JP Losman)

RB Marshawn Lynch (Fred Jackson)

FB Mike Viti (Darian Barnes)

WR Lee Evans (Josh Reed)

WR James Hardy (Roscoe Parrish)

TE Robert Royal (Derek Fine)

LT Jason Peters (Kirk Chambers)

LG Derrick Dockery (Jason Whittle)

C Melvin Fowler (Duke Preston)

RG Brad Butler (Jason Whittle)

RT Langston Walker (Kirk Chambers)

Some thoughts about the offense:

1. If Hardy can catch some jump balls in the end zone, we have a pretty nasty 4-deep receiving corps.

2. From what I have read already about Viti, I think he is the favorite to win the starting FB job. He seems like he has the kind of leadership and toughguy mentality that the coaching staff will want from the FB position. Sounds like he can play, too.

3. Unless Fine is a revelation or Shouman comes out of nowhere, our tight ends are pretty dreadful.

4. I still like our starting five on the O-line, but our lack of depth there is frightening, particularly at tackle. That will need to be addressed soon.

5. A couple potential "surprise" cuts this season (not predicting any of these, but none would shock me): Preston, Royal (if Fine and Shouman prove more athletic), and Dwayne Wright (if Xavier Omon surprises in camp).

Defense

LE Chris Kelsay (Ryan Denney)

DT Marcus Stroud (Kyle Williams)

DT John McCargo (Spencer Johnson)

RE Aaron Schobel (Chris Ellis)

SLB Angelo Crowell (Kawika Mitchell)

MLB Paul Posluszny (John Digiorgio)

WLB Kawika Mitchell (Keith Ellison)

CB Terence McGee (Jabari Greer, Reggie Corner)

CB Leodis McKelvin (Will James, Ashton Youboty)

FS Ko Simpson (George Wilson)

SS Donte Whitner (Bryan Scott, John Wendling)

Some thoughts about the defense:

1. Top-10 potential for this D. There likely will be 4 new starters (Stroud, Posluszny, Mitchell, and McKelvin). We have added key depth at all levels of the defense. If the new additions pan out (Mitchell, Stroud, and McKelvin) and the young guys take the next step (McCargo, Posluszny, Whitner, Simpson), then this defense will be much improved and, by extension, it will improve the offense.

2. Now that he's in his second year at safety, it wouldn't shock me if Wilson beat out Simpson in the preseason. I could see Wendling being much improved this season and beating out Scott for the backup SS job.

3. I love our depth on the line and in the secondary, but surprisingly I think we're a little thin at LB still. Unless Alvin Bowen can contribute right away, we could probably stand to add a veteran before the season. I think I read that we are in talks with some LB whose name escapes me.

4. I see McKelvin winning the starting CB job just before the start of the regular season, much like Posluszny vs. DiGiorgio last year. Battle for the nickel CB job between Greer and James. Edge to Greer.

5. A couple potential "surprise" cuts this season (not predicting any of these, but none would shock me): Youboty, Scott, and maybe even Ellison if Bowen surprises people in camp.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with everything. McKelvin winning the job in the end, surprise cuts, and the starters. I have no idea about the FB position, I still think they will look to bring in another FB via free agency for some additional competition. I'm not sure they are happy yet with the talent we have there.

I think Royal can be our main blocking TE, and Fine can come in to create mismatches and line up in all sorts of positions on the field. We can keep him on the line or split him out.

A scary idea could be our potential redzone package. If we brought in Courtney Anderson, Teyo Johnson, and Hardy... that gives us 3 enormous targets for teams to try and defend, and with the two TE's in we could also run. Scary thought for opposing teams.

I agree with everything. McKelvin winning the job in the end, surprise cuts, and the starters. I have no idea about the FB position, I still think they will look to bring in another FB via free agency for some additional competition. I'm not sure they are happy yet with the talent we have there.

I think Royal can be our main blocking TE, and Fine can come in to create mismatches and line up in all sorts of positions on the field. We can keep him on the line or split him out.

A scary idea could be our potential redzone package. If we brought in Courtney Anderson, Teyo Johnson, and Hardy... that gives us 3 enormous targets for teams to try and defend, and with the two TE's in we could also run. Scary thought for opposing teams.

To be honest, I forgot about our tight end acquisitions. That makes me feel a little better, but not much. At best they'll have to get the job done "by committee."

I think our offense will improve greatly this year, probably finishing in the 21-24 range, but our D should be top ten. I think Viti was a huge steal, and is very likely to be the day one starter at FB. No way the team cuts Preston in the offseason. He is the only O-Lineman who can backup Fowler at Center and is valuable as a back up guard, b/c Whittle is also the second backup tackle behind Chambers. Likely Whittle would only play right tackle as a backup, but if Peters and Chambers get hurt, he'll have to play LT as he is the only person on the team that could handle the job. Don't forget, the Bills did add a Tackle in the seventh, though he is likely a practice squad guy, and another guard in UDFA. Again, likely camp fodder or practice squad, but they might be good to have around in case of emergency.

how are the bills going to keep 4 TE's? let alone dress all 4?

fine is a lock for a roster spot.........i think royal, despite what many think, is a lock as well given his locker room presence and what he does bring to the table (i.e. very good blocking skills).........that leaves anderson, johnson, massaquoi, and schouman battling for one spot

fine is a lock for a roster spot.........i think royal, despite what many think, is a lock as well given his locker room presence and what he does bring to the table (i.e. very good blocking skills).........that leaves anderson, johnson, massaquoi, and schouman battling for one spot

I disagree about Royal. I wouldn't be surprised if he got cut. We have Fine, who will do the majority of the pass catching, all Royal offered us was good blocking, which Courtney Anderson or any other TE on this team can do. Last year we didn't have Fine, Schouman, Anderson or Johnson... this year that makes Royal expendable.

I'd have to go with Anderson in that slotbased purely on his size. I don't see the others bringing much to the table, but at the same time, I don't know much about them.

I disagree about Royal. I wouldn't be surprised if he got cut. We have Fine, who will do the majority of the pass catching, all Royal offered us was good blocking, which Courtney Anderson or any other TE on this team can do. Last year we didn't have Fine, Schouman, Anderson or Johnson... this year that makes Royal expendable.

I disagree about this. MAybe it's just me but not every TE can just do this. If you haqve a good blocker you keep him. If a TE can't catch you just don't say oh he can block, it doesn't work like that. he has to be GOOD at blocking. a TE who can't catch IMO doesn't equal blocking TE. Since Anderson hasn't played a game for us yet unless you have seen him play alot for other teams idk where you think he's a better blocker than royal, I thought we brought anderson in to CATCH passes not block. he isn't a blocker JMO.

interesting.......so who do you see as the 3 TE's?

in my eyes, it's royal (starting), fine, and anderson OR johnson............with no H-back in the offense, schouman is as good as gone...........massaquoi is camp fodder

I disagree about this. MAybe it's just me but not every TE can just do this. If you haqve a good blocker you keep him. If a TE can't catch you just don't say oh he can block, it doesn't work like that. he has to be GOOD at blocking. a TE who can't catch IMO doesn't equal blocking TE. Since Anderson hasn't played a game for us yet unless you have seen him play alot for other teams idk where you think he's a better blocker than royal, I thought we brought anderson in to CATCH passes not block. he isn't a blocker JMO.

my thoughts exactly - i haven't seen much of anderson but from what i remember during his draft year blocking is not his strong suit......and even if he has shown improvement there, it's extremely doubtful he can measure up to royal in that area, as he's one of the best TE's in the league when it comes to blocking

interesting.......so who do you see as the 3 TE's?

in my eyes, it's royal (starting), fine, and anderson OR johnson............with no H-back in the offense, schouman is as good as gone...........massaquoi is camp fodder

I think it is really iffy. At this point, one would expect Royal, Fine, and Anderson... like you said. But we know what we have in Royal, good blocking and that's it. So if the other TE's come in and really impress in camp (Johnson, Schouman, Fine, Anderson) and prove as versatile options, it could push Royal out. I think would could easily recover what we lost in Royal, which is only blocking. If we have nothing in Johnson and Schouman, then Royal stays, IMO.

I've seen Anderson play, and honestly, I always thought he was more of a receiving option. But when we signed him, all the coaches raved about was his blocking ability, so I'm not sure. I like Royal and Fine to compliment each other in terms of blocking and receiving, but I'm saying if another TE on the roster can show he can block, and even catch a little bit, Royal could be out.

I think our offense will improve greatly this year, probably finishing in the 21-24 range, but our D should be top ten. I think Viti was a huge steal, and is very likely to be the day one starter at FB. No way the team cuts Preston in the offseason. He is the only O-Lineman who can backup Fowler at Center and is valuable as a back up guard, b/c Whittle is also the second backup tackle behind Chambers. Likely Whittle would only play right tackle as a backup, but if Peters and Chambers get hurt, he'll have to play LT as he is the only person on the team that could handle the job. Don't forget, the Bills did add a Tackle in the seventh, though he is likely a practice squad guy, and another guard in UDFA. Again, likely camp fodder or practice squad, but they might be good to have around in case of emergency.

Butler is a LT -

Weren't Anderson and Johnson out of football last year? I think Royal is being underestimated because he doesn't catch alot of passes. Last year the line got alot of credit for not surrendering as many sacks as previous seasons. A blocking tight end deserves some credit for that accomplishment.

I think Royal only had 25 catches last year. Any idea how many from Edwards and how many from Losman? Also, Gaines had 25 receptions last year. I'd ask the same question. I think with Edwards at QB the TE position will have more receptions.

Losman only throws to Evans and has never utilized the TE position. That is part of the problem with Losman he doesn't trust the other players to do their job. If he did he could stand in the pocket and throw the ball to were a reciever should be and let them make a play on the ball. Trent spread the ball around more last year than JP ever has.

I've seen Anderson play, and honestly, I always thought he was more of a receiving option. But when we signed him, all the coaches raved about was his blocking ability, so I'm not sure. I like Royal and Fine to compliment each other in terms of blocking and receiving, but I'm saying if another TE on the roster can show he can block, and even catch a little bit, Royal could be out.

I understand what you are saying

But when we signed Royal didn't those same coach RAVE about his ability to catch passes? pretty sure they did :thumbsup:

Honestly I take what they say with a grain of salt until I see these players play for myself.

Weren't Anderson and Johnson out of football last year? I think Royal is being underestimated because he doesn't catch alot of passes. Last year the line got alot of credit for not surrendering as many sacks as previous seasons. A blocking tight end deserves some credit for that accomplishment.

I think Royal only had 25 catches last year. Any idea how many from Edwards and how many from Losman? Also, Gaines had 25 receptions last year. I'd ask the same question. I think with Edwards at QB the TE position will have more receptions.

Losman only throws to Evans and has never utilized the TE position. That is part of the problem with Losman he doesn't trust the other players to do their job. If he did he could stand in the pocket and throw the ball to were a reciever should be and let them make a play on the ball. Trent spread the ball around more last year than JP ever has.

Remember tho when JP started his full season we often had to leave in a RB and a TE to block because our line sucked. Look at the whole situation.

Trent walks in behind a very expensive and very good pass blocking line, the TE's are going to go out more if you have a good line