Oil Shale

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But what if we could safely and economically get our hands on all that oil? Imagine how the world might change. The

U.S. would instantly have the world's largest oil reserves. Imagine…having so much oil we'd never have to worry about

Saudi Arabia again, or Hugo Chavez, or the mullahs in Tehran. And instead of ships lined up in L.A.'s port to

unload cheap Chinese goods, we might see oil tankers lined up waiting to export America's tremendous oil bounty to the

rest of the world. The entire geopolitical and economic map of the world would change…and the companies in the

vanguard of oil shale development might make hundreds of billions of dollars as they convert America's untapped

shale reserves into a brand new energy revolution.

Sounds peachy! Hope they work out the hows and the ways.

Shell May Be On To Something

If this were actually successful on a large scale, the US would become the world's leading energy producer.

Given how technology in general has developed over the decades, the optimistic engineer side of me will say 'it is only a matter of time'. The heavy crudes which are mined in Canada were also at one point assumed to be difficult to extract or perhaps 'too expensive' for oil production. That day seems now like a distant memory. With oil well above $100/bbl, there is significant driving force to develop technologies for extracting oil from oil shale. We have a long way to go but it is exciting to even think that the potential exists within our shores.

Wonder if we will call our future presidents 'sheiks' Sheik Obama ? King McCain ?

He's an idiot for pointing out a moron who posts contradictory thoughts in the same thread within an hour of each other? :unsure:

Wow, tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber strike again!

I shouldn't have to explain this its so simple, but dealing with a fuggin idiot like you I guess I do. I said I hoped it worked out, ok? Hoped. Then I said Global Warming might be a problem. Hoped, might...nothing definitive about my statements. :D

Wow, tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber strike again!

I shouldn't have to explain this its so simple, but dealing with a fuggin idiot like you I guess I do. I said I hoped it worked out, ok? Hoped. Then I said Global Warming might be a problem. Hoped, might...nothing definitive about my statements. :D

There's never anything definitive about any of your statements -- aside from the ignorance.

Did you read the part where the oil companies could make "hundreds of billions of dollars" off this? I thought oil company profits were a bad thing. :thumbsup:

Ofcourse it is. It is less painful to see oil-producing countries make the profits and build grand cities in the middle of deserts. We cannot have enterprising American companies do the same 'cos that would be robbing the American citizens. But not to worry, we will put in place a windfall profit tax and stifle such entrepreneurial aspirations. That will teach them greedy evil oil companies who make money from gouging the public and discouraging irresponsible consumption. This is neo-capitalism.

Ofcourse it is. It is less painful to see oil-producing countries make the profits and build grand cities in the middle of deserts. We cannot have enterprising American companies do the same 'cos that would be robbing the American citizens. But not to worry, we will put in place a windfall profit tax and stifle such entrepreneurial aspirations. That will teach them greedy evil oil companies who make money from gouging the public and discouraging irresponsible consumption. This is neo-capitalism.

And then we can distribute the windfall tax to the American people so they can afford the gasoline the oil companies are gouging them on, thus ensuring the oil companies make even more profits to confiscate on behalf of the people. It's brilliant!

Am I the only one who loves the idea of a "windfall profit tax"? How the hell are you planning on proving that, politician? They'll tie you up in courts for years and at the end of they day the taxpayer will spend more in auditing and legal fees than they ever take in.

Dumbest idea ever. Completely unenforceable.

And then we can distribute the windfall tax to the American people so they can afford the gasoline the oil companies are gouging them on, thus ensuring the oil companies make even more profits to confiscate on behalf of the people. It's brilliant!

All while the feds fund an entire new cabinet level department with 9000 government employees to oversee it, on the tax dollars collected. :thumbsup:

Did you read the part where the oil companies could make "hundreds of billions of dollars" off this? I thought oil company profits were a bad thing. ;)

Well it would be nice if they put their obscene profits into developing this. The bad point is that 72% of the land is owned by the government. I'm sure that they can find a way to phuck it up.

Just makes so much more sense to get our fuel from shale rather than our food supply. :thumbsup: