What Makes This Season 10 Times Worse...

Is NOT having a first round pick in 05.

Look, I know that Losman looks good, and that we needed a qb of the future, blah bla blah blah blah, but at least during the RJ/Van Pelt season of despair, I could find moments of solace thinking about having a top 5 selection. Little did I know we would draft a beached whale (with emotional issues to boot). :lol::P

The Bills need to win football games. The posters on TSW need a win. Lord knows that I need a win.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DO IT FOR TBD!!!!!!

72362[/snapback]

Cut and paste w/ additions from my post on the college board....

Why would anyone want a Top 10 pick? It's a great way to %$&* your salary cap, whether the player is any good or not, which many times the player's production isn't near what you expected. Take MW, for example. We have a large tub of lard playing matador to DLs league-wide, and for this, we paid out a huge contract. Okay, a Top 5 pick would be great if you could be assured of getting a Jim Kelly-type player, but that's not what you get now; it's about 1/3 that you get a player in the first round who's still on your roster four years later. And the signing bonus kills your cap; better to spend that money on a FA who can help your team right away or for two slightly-less rated rookies who'll be motivated in camp rather than know the job is de facto theirs and tank it.

Get out of the top 10 and the salaries go down exponentially. That's the reason why so many teams want to trade down for more picks every year, except for the perennial losers who think a high pick will magically make them better. If Dallas gets that high a draft pick next year, I'm not going to lambaste the move. They can pay some guy a $12M bonus. We paid a lot less of a contract for a player who's got just as good a chance to be an effective starter, a year earlier (too bad he broke his leg tho...).

I thought you were going to say your constant bitching about McNally and the OL.... sorry, my bad.

72368[/snapback]

Scott, because of my long time devotion to, and love for this board, believe it or not I always had a fear of getting on the wrong side of you, the "chairman of the board."

If my posts trifle you, please send me a PM and instuct me on what to change, or, you could merely post said instructions and embarrass me.

Either way, this is the greatest site on the internet, and I will always appreciate what you have done for Bills fans, and me personally.

You have provided a forum like no other, that consists of great Bills dialogue, and an opportunity to meet and party with a truly wonderful bunch of people.

Grat work, Scott. :lol:

Why would anyone want a Top 10 pick? It's a great way to %$&* your salary cap, whether the player is any good or not, which many times the player's production isn't near what you expected. Take MW, for example. We have a large tub of lard playing matador to DLs league-wide, and for this, we paid out a huge contract. Okay, a Top 5 pick would be great if you could be assured of getting a Jim Kelly-type player, but that's not what you get now; it's about 1/3 that you get a player in the first round who's still on your roster four years later. And the signing bonus kills your cap; better to spend that money on a FA who can help your team right away or for two slightly-less rated rookies who'll be motivated in camp rather than know the job is de facto theirs and tank it.

Get out of the top 10 and the salaries go down exponentially. That's the reason why so many teams want to trade down for more picks every year, except for the perennial losers who think a high pick will magically make them better. If Dallas gets that high a draft pick next year, I'm not going to lambaste the move. They can pay some guy a $12M bonus. We paid a lot less of a contract for a player who's got just as good a chance to be an effective starter, a year earlier (too bad he broke his leg tho...).

72375[/snapback]

I do not fully agree with you about the impact of top 10 picks. If the Rams and Browns didn't grab Pace and Ogden, I am not sure that either of them would have won a superbowl. Perhaps yes, but I dont know. These LTs helped make Warner and Dilfer look like Hall of Fame QBs by eliminating any fear of being hit from the blindside.

That said, trading down can certainly work. Sadly, the Bills are heading toward a top 5 pick. Look at what the Chargers got for trading down just a little bit.

It is too early to call Losman a bad move. I guess my post was more about ways of coping with the Bills losing football games. :lol:

Look, I know that Losman looks good, and that we needed a qb of the future, blah bla blah blah blah, but at least during the RJ/Van Pelt season of despair, I could find moments of solace thinking about having a top 5 selection. Little did I know we would draft a beached whale (with emotional issues to boot).  :lol:  :P

The Bills need to win football games. The posters on TSW need a win. Lord knows that I need a win. 

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DO IT FOR TBD!!!!!!

72362[/snapback]

Yes, but the last time we had a top 5 pick, it turned out to be that no good tub of goo Mike Williams. I'd rather win a few games than draft high no matter who holds our first rounder.

I do not fully agree with you about the impact of top 10 picks. If the Rams and Browns didn't grab Pace and Ogden, I am not sure that either of them would have won a superbowl. Perhaps yes, but I dont know. These LTs helped make Warner and Dilfer look like Hall of Fame QBs by eliminating any fear of being hit from the blindside.

You mean Orlando Pace, the headcase who was demanding a $27M signing bonus? And whose play, most would say, has slipped quite a bit? Ogden is a great OL, I'll give you that, but for every one like him, there's ten Darrel Russells, Ryan Leafs, Rick Mirers....

That said, trading down can certainly work. Sadly, the Bills are heading toward a top 5 pick. Look at what the Chargers got for trading down just a little bit.

Yeah, but what did TD do last time he got that kinda pick? He used it rather than trade down to stockpile picks/other compensation.

It is too early to call Losman a bad move. I guess my post was more about ways of coping with the Bills losing football games.  :P

72391[/snapback]

I can't say as I fault you there. We all cope in different ways.... I'm recently trying Vermont Spirits Gold Vodka. :lol:

Pace slipping? I dont know, but Bulger is able to wing a few td passes, no? Faulk is aging, but he still runs left. Besides, they DID win a superbowl! Btw, Pace on a broken leg, with cancer is better than Jennings in his finest hour.

Oh, and at my age (49), and married for 20 years, your method of coping just wouldn't work. I go with "soft" stuff, like a nice merlot, or some Long Island Red table wine. :lol:

Pace slipping? I dont know, but Bulger is able to wing a few td passes, no? Faulk is aging, but he still runs left. Besides, they DID win a superbowl! Btw, Pace on a broken leg, with cancer is better than Jennings in his finest hour.

I now can't find evidence that Bulger's shoulder was separated(?). Thought it was him... But the Rams got a couple good OL, like Turley from the 'Aints for a 2nd rounder. There was probably a reason that Warner got his clock cleaned last year. Maybe I'm wrong and Pace is a great player but he's still paid way too much and his Poston Bros. antics aren't exactly good for team chemistry. I don't disagree with your comparison; JJ doesn't want to be in Buffalo. :P

Oh, and at my age (49), and married for 20 years, your method of coping just wouldn't work. I go with "soft" stuff, like a nice merlot, or some Long Island Red table wine.  :lol:

72412[/snapback]

Oh, come on! Moderation, Bill. Moderation. It's good stuff, and if you need a quirky reason, just mention that it's distilled from 100% maple sap. That piques people's interest.

Look, I know that Losman looks good, and that we needed a qb of the future, blah bla blah blah blah, but at least during the RJ/Van Pelt season of despair, I could find moments of solace thinking about having a top 5 selection. Little did I know we would draft a beached whale (with emotional issues to boot).  :D  :unsure:

72362[/snapback]

It might not be as bad as you think according to this article

The Bills are an unlucky 0-4 at the moment, which means the Cowboys, owning Buffalo's first-round pick in April, have been lucky. Buffalo hosts also-winless Miami today, and, if the Dolphins could steal this one, it wouldn't be too early to think of the Cowboys picking first overall.

One word of caution, however.

There are scouts saying this crop of college seniors is the worst in recent memory when it comes to top NFL prospects. One scout is of the opinion that in the state of Texas, there are a grand total of three ``first-day'' picks. That's not first round, but first day. Meaning the first three rounds. Yeah, it's that bad.

Juniors who come out early could change this, but that's an unknown factor at the moment.

It is too early to call Losman a bad move. I guess my post was more about ways of coping with the Bills losing football games.  :D

72391[/snapback]

We got another one of those type players down here at FSU...Alex Barron, a monster of an LT...hes gonna give someone in the top 10 a great LT for the next 10-12 seasons...

72375[/snapback]

My sentiments exactly. Top Ten picks are extremely risky. Especially when you figure in the potential for drafting a LOSER and paying him an incredible salary when he has never played a down in the NFL. I would rather take top ten money and make a run at an Orlando Pace, Walter Jones type free agent. Or a John Abraham, Julius Peppers type. Either way, you get a proven NFL player who doesn't need 2-3 years to develope when you are paying them 6-7 MIl a year...OUCH!

Cheer up and take heart in the fact that we'll probably be picking our "first" pick right after the SuperBowl Champs take theirs. We'll be taking the 33rd or 34th player.

That also certainly lowers the risk of "overpaying" for a top ten pick. Hey, you never know. DonnaHo might get lucky. The law of averages is definitely beginning to favor that 'cause he's sucked at drafting so far. :D