Lito Sheppard Traded to Tampa Bay

Hello..... he was traded to Tampa Bay... who runs the same defense, so we dont need a good corner but they do?

Well put.

Regardless of all this lito talk, the eagles have been fond of trading up to get their guy in the past. Also, if past drafts are any indication they are more likely to draft along the lines if they do so. They would then attempt to address reciever in the 2nd round. So......my guess is that philly wants to trade up to snag one of the offensive tackles on the board, just a hunch. Unless they are hoping Ellis falls and grabbing him. Hard to tell at this point, but OL is still my official guess.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello..... he was traded to Tampa Bay... who runs the same defense, so we dont need a good corner but they do?

Although its always a plus to have the best players at every position no matter what system you run, what he is saying is that its not necessary because the Bills are ready have 2 good CB's that will be good enough with an improved Pass Rush

LITO TO BUCS?

Posted by Mike Florio on April 25, 2008, 7:34 a.m.

The long-awaited trade of Eagles cornerback Lito Sheppard apparently is in the works.

Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com reported on Thursday that Sheppard visited the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Wednesday. The Eagles, per Les Bowen of the Philadelphia Daily News, had no comment.

Sheppard can’t talk to the Bucs or any other team without permission from the Eagles. So, presumably, the visit was part of an effort by the Bucs to get to know Sheppard, and possibly to figure out what kind of contractual adjustment will need to be made to get him on the team.

But Sheppard said he wasn’t there to talk business with the Bucs. “I was there to see some people at the University of South Florida that I know, and while I was there I saw some of the Bucs players,” Sheppard told the Tampa Tribune. “I saw receiver Antonio Bryant a little bit and linebacker Matt McCoy. But I didn’t meet with anybody in the front office.”

It has been rumored for months that the Eagles were looking for a first-round pick for Sheppard, and that teams were willing only to give up a second-rounder. Glazer writes that the deal likely will entail a second-round pick and another pick or player.

We’ve gotten multiple e-mails from folks in the Philly chapter of PFT Planet who think that the player will be Bucs receiver Michael Clayton, a one-time first-round pick who has flamed out over the past few years.

The problem for the Eagles is that they didn’t try to trade Sheppard before signing Asante Samuel. Once Samuel was on board, it became obvious that the Eagles would move Sheppard, necessarily reducing their leverage in trade talks.

who are the bucs corners? brian kelly left via FA and Ronde Barber is nearing the end. Philip Buchanon is a decent nickel, but that's about it.

This is a move out of need for TB - Buffalo isn't as lacking in CB as Tampa is/was. That's why the Bucs pull this trade and Buffalo doesn't.

thanks for this link, the comments were real interesting, a couple of highlights:

he will be a great addition to our CB core that needs some more experience. Then we could focus on other things in the draft. Shoot, given the CB depth, we could probably get a good corner in the later rounds anyway.

and

I don't see the point in getting a guy like Sheppard in exchange for higher draft picks - although he is a good player. He's missed time in all but one season (and only appeared in 70% of games in the last 3 seasons), and I doubt he's going to get more durable as he gets older.

deja vu?

I sorry, but I just don’t get this obsession with acquiring another top tier CB ? Nothing against Sheppard, but we have depth in the backfield with Barber, Buchanon, Wilson, Jackson, Davis, Piscitelli, Phillips and most likely a 3rd round pick to be groomed behind Barber. The Tampa two can be adequately staffed without chasing after stars. The best pass defense is one that starts with a dominating d-line…

The real need this off-season was upgrading the d-line significantly and finding a No. 2 WR (playmaker), neither of which has been reeled in yet !

So far there haven't been any reports of a deal being done on any of the major sports news sites. In fact I didn't see anything even mentioning that he was in Tampa.

I would like to get Sheppard via a trade in the draft, but our corners right now are pretty good. If you look at their numbers from last year, they did a very good job, the problem was, QBs had all day to throw the ball, and eventually someone is going to get open. The improved pass rush should help out the coverage guys this year.

So far there haven't been any reports of a deal being done on any of the major sports news sites. In fact I didn't see anything even mentioning that he was in Tampa.

I would like to get Sheppard via a trade in the draft, but our corners right now are pretty good. If you look at their numbers from last year, they did a very good job, the problem was, QBs had all day to throw the ball, and eventually someone is going to get open. The improved pass rush should help out the coverage guys this year.

Pewter report.com (they have GOOD info on the Bucs) has reported they have not been able to confirm Fox reports that Sheppard is in Tampa through their own sources.

I could see Tampa trading Clayton straight up for Sheppard, but not with a #2 pick.

Lito is of the mindset to cash in (ala - Clements, Samuel), but a more injury prone, second tier guy who doesn't warrant that kind of coin, and actually neither Clements nor Samuel deserved it either.

My fear with Lito Shepard is that it will cost us too much, both in the trade value, and then getting him to ink the deal.

I'd pass............

The Tampa Tribune is reporting that the Saints have entered the Lito Shuffle

The Saints pick well ahead of the Bucs and own the 40th overall pick in the second round. That’s believed to be what they’re offering for Sheppard, and it’s obviously a better offer than the Bucs have so far mustered. The Bucs are believed to have offered their second-round pick, which is No. 52 overall.

damn, the Saints pick right before the Bills :unsure:

I could see Tampa trading Clayton straight up for Sheppard, but not with a #2 pick.

While Clayton had a good rookie year, he's been bust ever since. I don't care how fast Galloway is, at 36 he's a relic, and he still outplays Clayton.

BTW, this trade isn't being reported anywhere else. What gives?