That’s what they live for in Buffalo

Draconator

http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=23654

Dan Marino Bashes Buffalo

Posted by: Stefan Mychajliw, Reporter

Created: 10/15/2004 8:40:01 PM

Updated: 10/15/2004 9:42:29 PM

When H.B.O.’s Inside the NFL kicked off its coverage concerning Week #5 in the National Football League, former Cincinnati Bengal Wide Receiver Chris Collinsworth defended Bills head coach Mike Mularkey.

“Mike Mularkey is on the verge of beating almost any good team in the league,” said one of Inside the NFL’s co-hosts.

Later in the broadcast, former Minnesota Vikings and Miami Dolphins Wide Receiver Chris Carter defended Drew Bledsoe during a “question and answer” session during a mock debate.

“I don’t think Drew Bledsoe is over the hill. I’m more concerned with the offensive line,” said Carter.

Then Dan Marino, who we remember fondly from his days as quarterback of the Miami Dolphins, decided to bash Buffalo and Bills fans.

“What stadium has the meanest fans?” asked one member of the Inside the NFL staff during the football “debate”.

“When I was playing in Buffalo, it was tough. Because they were, they had a great team, plus the fans. I mean that’s what they live for in Buffalo. Because truly, they don’t want to live there,” said Marino.

You read it correctly.

Marino said: “That’s what they (fans) live for in Buffalo (the Bills). Because truly, they don’t want to live there.”

When told of Marino’s comments, many die-hard Bills fans at Tully’s Good Times on Niagara Falls Boulevard defended the Queen City as well as our football spirit.

“That’s typical of a Miami player,” said Bills fan Jeff Nolte.

“Bills fans are true. They’re the best in the league,” said Bills fan Rich Lowe.

“I couldn’t think of any other place I’d rather live,” said Bills fan Debbie Beringer.

“As a transplant from New York City, I think this is a great place to live. And I live in Williamsville now, and I just love this place,” said Sonia Prince.

If you'd like to send HBO an email, just click here (http://www.hbo.com/apps/submitinfo/contactus/submit.do).

Or if you'd like to send Marino "snail mail," feel free to write a letter to him via his fan mail address.

Dan Marino

1304 SW 160th Avenue

Suite 113

Sunrise, Florida 33326

Edited to include the email/contact page for HBO. :lol:

Edited by Draconator

I watched Inside the NFL on HBO when Marino said that.

All he was doing was shooting friendly-fire.

Anyone who takes that seriously is way too sensitive.

Our fans have always been great, but may of them have over the years been way too sensitive ...

What he said was NO BIG DEAL ... :lol:

Nice job, Stefan - way to stir the pot......

WooHoo! Now I KNOW it's Miami week!!! Squish the Fish!!

:lol:

(Of course, on next week's show they'll be reading some of the profane e-mails that probably flooded their inbox.....)

Yeah, Marino is a jackoff for saying that, but I have to think that it's somewhat true in many cases. How many former Bills still live here? How many former Dolphins and NFLers live in cities like Miami and Atlanta, that many WNYers are moving too?!!!!!!

Being one with a masters degree and absolutely no job prospects in this town for over two years, I am hoping to be a transplated Buffalonian in the very near future.........

Hard to continue my undying love for a place that........

Hopes to have a county sales tax in excess of 9.25 percent;

Has a central city and many other municipalities on the bring of bankrupcy

Has ridiculuosly high state and town taxes

Lacks anything close to job growth

Is sprawling for no reason whatsoever (no population growth means no need to sprawl, simple concept), costing ALL taxpayers millions in development, infrastructure, and service costs

Despite it's nickname the City of Good Neighbors, most could care less about the sustainability of the region....see sprawl and proof of selfishness of this area.

OK, I'm done ranting.

Bottomline is, Marino is right. Even those with good jobs want out!

Ya know, he's right.  If you can't think of one other place you'd rather live, somethings wrong.

72014[/snapback]

Oh, come on now, it's just beautiful up here from November through early April...

I don't live in Buffalo proper, so I really can't comment. I am a western New Yorker though for all but the three years I was in graduate school (seminary). I can honestly say that Western New York is a great place except for the climate, the taxes, the job situation/economy, the politicians, and a host of other problems. However, it wasn't cool for Marino, who's never lived here to be making that kind of comment. Just consider his Wonderlic score though (not very high at all).

People in Rust Belt cities (ie, Buffalo, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh) are WAY too sensitive. It comes from a feeling of inferiority to the bigger towns and the cities that have better weather.

If you don't want to live in Buffalo, don't live there.

If you do, make your community a better place. Elect mayors, commissioners, and other positions where the people you vote in don't feed at the public trough and act as if it's their right to lead you and tax you and make laws for you to follow. Start a business. Respond as if you have something to give to your fellow man. Don't have an attitude of "what's in it for me". And finally, remember how many times Dan Marino went to a Super Bowl :lol:

Buffalo has several great assets:

- abundant land

- four seasons

- relatively cheap cost of living (high taxes notwithstanding)

- access to Canada

- all the drinking water you could ever want,

and of course, the Bills!

SQUEEZE THE FISH!!

Mike

People in Rust Belt cities (ie, Buffalo, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh) are WAY too sensitive.  It comes from a feeling of inferiority to the bigger towns and the cities that have better weather.

If you don't want to live in Buffalo, don't live there. 

If you do, make your community a better place.  Elect mayors, commissioners, and other positions where the people you vote in don't feed at the public trough and act as if it's their right to lead you and tax you and make laws for you to follow.  Start a business.  Respond as if you have something to give to your fellow man.  Don't have an attitude of "what's in it for me".  And finally, remember how many times Dan Marino went to a Super Bowl  :lol:

Buffalo has several great assets:

- abundant land

- four seasons

- relatively cheap cost of living (high taxes notwithstanding)

- access to Canada

- all the drinking water you could ever want,

and of course, the Bills!

SQUEEZE THE FISH!!

Mike

72344[/snapback]

...and the Lake. When you consider all of it's natural resources you have to shake your head. It has to be the most underdeveleped city in the states. You could do so much to revitalize the city with the right people and the right money. Focking sad! I want to go back but to what? :P

What is there in Buffalo anyways besides lousy weather worth living there if they didn't have the Bills?

72359[/snapback]

i wouldn't say the weather is lousy

without the snow, we wouldn't have holiday valley

and anyone hit by the hurricanes this summer shouldn't have anything to say about a few snow storms

Dan Marino is still bitter because he could never beat the Bills during his playing career. Marino never even made it to the Super Bowl largely due to the Buffalo Bills success against the Dolphins. His comment makes no sense at all. If people did not want to live here, they would move.

Is that coherent enough for you?