Bills interested in Sheppard

jreed82

You have Poz and Mitch. Move Crow back to ST and nickle coverage guy where he seemed to do better. get a guy like Mayo who can rush off the edge and cause some hate, and we become a lot better both in the pass rush as well as making plays in the back field. Instead of having our backers who can't shed blocks and get dragged for an extra 4 yards on every stop.

Crow is not going back to ST and you my friend are a little off base if you think a rookie lb is going to play better than him.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Using the draft value chart makes Sheppard's value worth somewheres around the 52nd-53rd pick (2nd rd). Philadelphia has the #115 (4th rd). The value for that is only 64 points, which would keep Sheppard's value very close to the 59th pick (2nd rd).

Hmm...maybe even their third then?

That would give Sheppard a value of about 185 which is the 17th pick in the third.

That sounds fair to me.

Our 1st (11) for their 1st (19), Sheppard, and their 3rd (80).

They basically move up 8 spots in the first round for two thirds.

Hmm...maybe even their third then?

That would give Sheppard a value of about 185 which is the 17th pick in the third.

That sounds fair to me.

Our 1st (11) for their 1st (19), Sheppard, and their 3rd (80).

They basically move up 8 spots in the first round for two thirds.

Beggers cant be choosers. I'd just take their first and Sheppard and hang up the phone before they change their mind.

Crow is not going back to ST and you my friend are a little off base if you think a rookie lb is going to play better than him.

Plus Crow is pretty exprensive for a very average at best LB, and he is a FA after this year. Mitchell is more of a replacement for Crow, IMHO. I think Mayo would come in and be much more disruptive to offenses that you might believe.

Plus Crow is pretty exprensive for a very average at best LB, and he is a FA after this year. Mitchell is more of a replacement for Crow, IMHO. I think Mayo would come in and be much more disruptive to offenses that you might believe.

Wait until next year's draft. mayo doesn't impress me at all, just my opinion, not many ten players do, Peyton Manning is about it. Henry was alright. yea but I say no to ten. players.

I totally agree....I think Mayo is a top ten player. His skill set matches up very well with Willis from last year.

If we are going to sit at eleven I prefer Clady, Albert, Mayo, or Mckelvin. We have to go impact player at that high of a pick and then trade back into round one to fill the need - Kelly, Sweed, or Hardy.

I totally agree....I think Mayo is a top ten player. His skill set matches up very well with Willis from last year.

If we are going to sit at eleven I prefer Clady, Albert, Mayo, or Mckelvin. We have to go impact player at that high of a pick and then trade back into round one to fill the need - Kelly, Sweed, or Hardy.

Too bad he prolly won't get drafted until the second round which tells me you're wrong.

Beggers cant be choosers. I'd just take their first and Sheppard and hang up the phone before they change their mind.

Sheppard is good, but not that good IMO.

He just turned 27, and in his 6 years in the league, he's only played 16 games once, and never started all 16. He hasn't played 15 games since 2004, which was arguably his best year with 56 tackles, and 5 interception, starting all 15 of the games he played in.

Looking at numbers alone, McGee had a much better year last year than Sheppard did.

Compare these two stat lines:

G	  GS	 Tck	  Int	  PD
16	 13	 46		4	   14
11	 11	 51		2	   5

Now numbers don't tell the whole story I know, but one of those guys is Sheppard, and one isn't (not McGee either). Is Sheppard good? Yes. Would he help us out? Yes. Should we get taken in a deal to get him? No

I'd take the swap any day of the week, but I think the Bills could play is right and pull that 4th from Philly, too. Then turn around and send #19 and the fourth to the Giants for Shockey and their #31. Then draft the best remaining WR -- ta da, all the big needs are filled before the first pick of the second round!

The Bills aren't big on handing out large contracts to CB's.

If they swing a trade for Sheppard, what does that say about the fiasco surrounding NC two years ago?

Essentially, if Buffalo makes this trade, it means they prefer players from other systems over their own drafted players.

Remember, minus Marv, this is the same front office that potentially would make this deal that said no to NC.

yes, but...

we aren't talking $80M for Sheppard and it's all based on perceived value vs market rates. Would the Bills pay (something like) $50M for a 5 yr deal? We simply don't know...

BTW, here's the specifics of his current deal from an eagles fan:

Sheppard signed an 8 year, $26,314,000 deal during the 2004 season that included an 8.7 mil signing bonus prorated over 6 years. As part of his rookie deal, he received a 3.4 mil signing bonus prorated over 5 years. His cap numbers are as follows:

2004: $2,610,750 (480.75K base salary+680K proration+1.45 mil proration)

2005: $2,661,000 (531K basae salary+680K proration+1.45 mil proration; $8,610,000 dead money if cut)

2006: $2,742,250 (612,250 base+680K pro.+1.45 mil proration; $6,480,000 dead money if cut)

2007: $2,450,000 (1 mil base salary+1.45 mil proration; $4,350,000 dead money if cut)

2008: $3,450,000 (2 mil base salary+1.45 mil proration; $2,900,000 dead money if cut)

2009: $4,450,000 (3 mil base salary+1.45 mil proration; $1,450,000 dead money if cut)

2010: $3,700,000 (base salary)

2011: $4,250,000 (base salary)

The Bills aren't big on handing out large contracts to CB's.

If they swing a trade for Sheppard, what does that say about the fiasco surrounding NC two years ago?

Essentially, if Buffalo makes this trade, it means they prefer players from other systems over their own drafted players.

Remember, minus Marv, this is the same front office that potentially would make this deal that said no to NC.

Apples & oranges....they said no to Nate because he wanted more money than he thought he was worth. I think (hope) Brandon is smart enough not to overpay, but since Lito is a known quantity, he should be able to sign him to a (somewhat) reasonable deal.

If (and that's a huge IF) this deal gets done and they sign Lito to Clements-type numbers, then we can wonder.

I disagree that the FO would be saying they prefer players from other systems. Perhaps it's the FO saying we don't want TD's draftees because they aren't the right players they want to represent the Buffalo Bills. Perhaps it's the FO saying that TD screwed up enough so that we don't have time to develop players, so we need a veteran or two that can really play.

I'm almost thinking that a 2nd is a little too high for him.

What's it look like in value if the Iggles gave us their 1st, Sheppard, and their 4th for our first?

What value does that place on Sheppard?

I doubt we would get another pick out of them but in no way would I give them anything but the 1st round swap.....that is trading down what....8 or 9 spots?

I doubt we would get another pick out of them but in no way would I give them anything but the 1st round swap.....that is trading down what....8 or 9 spots?

I'm just really not sure he's worth a straight up swap.

I'd really like to see a third, or at least a 4th from them as well.

I personally wouldn't value Sheppard as a 2nd round pick, which is what a straight up swap says he is.

I think you could likely get a good TE prospect in the third, and perhaps bolster our D-line in the second instead. Lots of decent late 1st - 2nd round DT's available: Blamer, Sims, Laws, Moore.

getting a "PROSPECT" has been the problem for years.. the team has repeatedly passed on that position..and it has cost them for yrs.. we need a good tight end not just a blocker! it is A MAJOR FLAW to the offense now and has been.. take the tightend that you need now , not just a prospect.. MARTELLUS BENNET IN THE SECOND.he has got all the tools ,the size, and the deisre,and he is hungry to prove it!

Why all the hating on Crowell???? I thought he had a really good season last year, unless I missed something...Only eight guys had more total tackles, and he also added on a couple sacks, a pick, and a safety. Playing next to Ellison and DiGiorgio for most of the season, I'd say that's pretty impressive.

getting a "PROSPECT" has been the problem for years.. the team has repeatedly passed on that position..and it has cost them for yrs.. we need a good tight end not just a blocker! it is A MAJOR FLAW to the offense now and has been.. take the tightend that you need now , not just a prospect.. MARTELLUS BENNET IN THE SECOND.he has got all the tools ,the size, and the deisre,and he is hungry to prove it!

Like the WR's, I'm not sure there's that much separation amongst the TE's in the draft.

There are several to choose from each with their own strengths and weaknesses that could all likely have good careers in the NFL:

F. Davis

Bennett

Rucker

Keller

Carlson

Finley

K. Davis

I'm sure that one if not several of these will be available in the third when we pick.