Will the Jared Allen trade..

And if so, can Brad Butler play center?

I know...we've already moved Butler once from tackle to guard, where he performed well.

But I did not think Albert would make it to us because I thought the Chiefs would grab him at #5 to play tackle. Now that they have traded Allen and have the #17 pick from the Vikings, I see this scenario playing out more for the Chiefs:

Take one of the DEs at #5 (most likely Chris Long) to replace Allen and use the #17 to take a tackle (Chris Williams from Vanderbilt?) rather than reach with the #5

This means Albert does not get picked at #5 and not in the first 10. He is the type of talent it would be hard to pass up at #11. This is right around where his value is.

If the Bills take him, then we create a problem because what we really need is a center, not a guard. But if they think Butler can play center, then this seems like a logical pick, especially when you consider if a tackle gets injured, Albert may have the flexibility down the line to serve as a backup there as well.

Fills several holes, IMO - new center, improved right guard (Albert is a monster), backup tackle in a pinch...

I know...we've already moved Butler once from tackle to guard, where he performed well.

But I did not think Albert would make it to us because I thought the Chiefs would grab him at #5 to play tackle. Now that they have traded Allen and have the #17 pick from the Vikings, I see this scenario playing out more for the Chiefs:

Take one of the DEs at #5 (most likely Chris Long) to replace Allen and use the #17 to take a tackle (Chris Williams from Vanderbilt?) rather than reach with the #5

This means Albert does not get picked at #5 and not in the first 10. He is the type of talent it would be hard to pass up at #11. This is right around where his value is.

If the Bills take him, then we create a problem because what we really need is a center, not a guard. But if they think Butler can play center, then this seems like a logical pick, especially when you consider if a tackle gets injured, Albert may have the flexibility down the line to serve as a backup there as well.

Fills several holes, IMO - new center, improved right guard (Albert is a monster), backup tackle in a pinch...

The last time that the Bills took a first round guard, it was Ruben Brown at #15, and this was a simply splendid pick. The thing is, we haven't drafted a 1st round defensive back in 2 years, so Jauron is more than due.

It's too bad. I would be thrilled if they drafted this kid, but it makes way too much sense.

The last time that the Bills took a first round guard, it was Ruben Brown at #15, and this was a simply splendid pick. The thing is, we haven't drafted a 1st round defensive back in 2 years, so Jauron is more than due.

It's too bad. I would be thrilled if they drafted this kid, but it makes way too much sense.

I'm not sure it makes sense - unless he's head and shoulders rated above whoever's left on the board. I'm not against it mind you, but for it to make sense the guy would have to be a center or Butler would have to move. I'm not informed enough to know if either is even possible. Butler would be quality depth - which we are sorely lacking at this point.

I'm also not enamored with any of the corners who currently have first round grades. I have NO idea what the hell the BILLS are gonna do. I do KNOW that whoever they pick, I'm going to be happy and root for the kid to do great. Because what the hell else can I do? ;)

I think Albert is the best O-Lineman in this draft. Yes, better than Jake Long even. Long excels in the run game, but really has trouble pass protecting. Albert reminds me exactly of Peters. He is just so athletic.

What about Albert at RT and Walker at RG? I think the athletic Albert would be better out on an island in pass protection, and Walker as a road grader.

I am kind of hoping that the Chiefs will be willing to take an Offensive Lineman or Matt Ryan with the fifth pick and then move to the 11th spot for Derrick Harvey. The Chiefs have around 13 picks now and might be willing to move up to get two quality guys in round one. Probably won't happen but ... who knows

really doubt Butler could play center. He's like 6-7 - he'd be like the tallest center in the history of the league. Centers can't be much more than 6'3/6-4 because of their role in the blocking schemes.

ans4 - to say Albert is athletic like Peters is crazy. Peters at 328 lbs ran a 4.89 forty, compared to Albert's 5.17 at 309 lbs (which is pretty average for a lineman). And to say that Long struggles in pass protection seems totally unsupportable by facts - he allowed 1 sack his entire career at Michigan and that was to Gholston. The guy is totally solid.

I'm puzzled by Albert's runaway hype machine. I think he's clearly the best guard in the draft, but that's about as far as I can go.

I agree, I don't see Albert getting past the Pats unless N.E. goes for one of the top rated corners.

I listened to an interview with Howie Long who watched Albert play with his son at UVA and he said the guy is just an unbelievable player who is only going to get better and who is versatile enough to play mutliple postitions on the line at an extremely high level. Even though we need a WR and Corner, I would not be disappointed if we took Albert and found a place to plug him into our line.

i fully expect albert to be a patriot next year

This won't change a thing. We will still trade down,

This won't change a thing. We will still trade down,

Why? If we lose out on our top choice at wideout but get that extra third round pick to add a backup (insert position here) ill be pissed. There is no need to risk losing a player you like because of draft value. Freeney was a horrible pick at 11 a few years ago.... still a reach now?

Get the player you want and need to take your team to the next level

The Chiefs, who are in full-fledged rebuilding mode, made this trade to get draft picks and to get rid of a potential cancer in Jared Allen. For a 4-12 team that will probably repeat that record, Allen wasn't worth the trouble.

I had Sirius NFL Radio on this morning and all the Vikings fans calling in were very happy with the trade. However, if I were a member of the Red Sea in Kansas City, I would be happy as well.

I don't know if the Vikings are the favorite in the NFC with this trade. One more misstep by Allen, and he could be gone for a year, under the NFL's substance abuse policy. Allen has already had two DUIs.

Yes, Jared Allen led the NFL in sacks last year, but again, his team was bad, losing their last nine games.

If the Vikes were looking to hit a grand slam here, it's a big risk. The Chiefs got the most important thing they could get -- draft picks. They now have 14, more than any other NFL team. The only round KC doesn't have multiple picks in is Round 2. They have three in Round 3.

Albert is a great player and will be a very good NFL offensive lineman IMO, but this team needs continuity and to fill holes. drafting alnert would require someone to move to center or move to guard and have Albert play tackle and so on and so on. We are a young and developing team. Drafting Albert would cause too much change on a line that is very good, gelling together and making positive improvements. I think Albert is too much trouble. We need to draft a position that fits like WR, CB or DE without shifting people around and taking them out of their comfort zone

If the Bills drafted Albert I'd love to see if he could play center. Hmmmmmmmmmm.......................... He has said he could do it. Could be the missing piece to a dominant line, which although improved, we DON'T have yet. Fowler is in his contract year anyways and all these "take Pollock in the 3rd or Justice or whoever" are a complete joke. None of those guys are starting caliber NFL centers.

If the Bills drafted Albert I'd love to see if he could play center. Hmmmmmmmmmm.......................... He has said he could do it. Could be the missing piece to a dominant line, which although improved, we DON'T have yet. Fowler is in his contract year anyways and all these "take Pollock in the 3rd or Justice or whoever" are a complete joke. None of those guys are starting caliber NFL centers.

Link?

Ive heard tackle and guard, not center

Albert is a great player and will be a very good NFL offensive lineman IMO, but this team needs continuity and to fill holes. drafting alnert would require someone to move to center or move to guard and have Albert play tackle and so on and so on. We are a young and developing team. Drafting Albert would cause too much change on a line that is very good, gelling together and making positive improvements. I think Albert is too much trouble. We need to draft a position that fits like WR, CB or DE without shifting people around and taking them out of their comfort zone

I am not necessarily a fan of drafting Albert (although his highlights are pretty convincing), but if he is as good as advertised, then he will, at least by the middle of year one, be better than both Butler and Walker. To go from a decent to a very good Offensive line is never bad........ though that would mean passing on supposedly more pressing needs.

I think Albert is the best O-Lineman in this draft. Yes, better than Jake Long even. Long excels in the run game, but really has trouble pass protecting. Albert reminds me exactly of Peters. He is just so athletic.

What about Albert at RT and Walker at RG? I think the athletic Albert would be better out on an island in pass protection, and Walker as a road grader.

Albert may made a great center since he is smart enough to make the line calls and big enough to handle the bull rusher and thhletic enough to pull.

He is light years ahead of the Duke at C- even though he never played the position in college.

At a minimum, he will push to start at G and is a better backup LT than anything else we have on the roster. If he takes over for Butler, Butler has some experience as a LT and is also better than Chambers.