Would drafting Keith Rivers be a much smarter move

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why draft a backup with the first pick? ;)

Bingo...We have four areas of immediate need...maybe five if you include cornerback (I don't..but many do). I see us trading down and getting one of many quality wr's late in the first, a TE, DE and Center in the next few choices. I can go sooo far (although I'm not big on the idea) of drafting a can't miss corner if there is one available in round 2. Linebacker is looking pretty good just the way it is.

This Rivers talk is driving me nuts!!

Posters keep on saying that he can replace Crowell.

Like Crowell is some type of weak link on this team. Who cares if he is a free agent next year? Here's a novel idea, sign him to an extension!

Crowell had a very good year last year. He was easily one of the best defensive players on our team.

He was voted a defensive captain, led the team in tackles and became the only NFL linebacker in 2007 with a safety, sack, interception, forced fumble and fumble recovery.

He is in the prime of his career.....HE IS NOT A WEAK LINK ON THIS TEAM AND DOES NOT NEED TO BE REPLACED!

We have other starters that are weaker links than Crowell. WR,TE,C,OG,DE,FS,FB,CB. What part of this is hard to comprehend?

Keith Rivers forte is being a coverage linebacker. Picking at number #11 IMHO is no time to take a coverage linebacker.

If this kid was a dynamic rusher from the linebacker position I'd be excited.

He is NOT a pass rushing linebacker or for that matter a dynamic playmaker.

He had 0 sacks and also had 0 interceptions last year.

Time to end the nonsense.

Like Crowell is some type of weak link on this team. Who cares if he is a free agent next year? Here's a novel idea, sign him to an extension!

Crowell had a very good year last year. He was easily one of the best defensive players on our team.

He was voted a defensive captain, led the team in tackles and became the only NFL linebacker in 2007 with a safety, sack, interception, forced fumble and fumble recovery.

He is in the prime of his career.....HE IS NOT A WEAK LINK ON THIS TEAM AND DOES NOT NEED TO BE REPLACED!

We have other starters that are weaker links than Crowell. WR,TE,C,OG,DE,FS,FB,CB. What part of this is hard to comprehend?

Keith Rivers forte is being a coverage linebacker. Picking at number #11 IMHO is no time to take a coverage linebacker.

There's really no room for a pass rushing linebacker in the Tampa 2, so I can't imagine a scenario where the Bills would be looking at one. Maybe to convert him to End.

I don't know much about Rivers, but I know this about Crowell: he's a rock solid starter in this league, nothing less, nothing more. He's never going to be a playmaker. We could certainly use a playmaker among the LBs, and if Rivers is that guy, I can't bash the pick.

Can't believe I'm agreeing with obi and K-9, I must be losing it... ;)

There's really no room for a pass rushing linebacker in the Tampa 2, so I can't imagine a scenario where the Bills would be looking at one. Maybe to convert him to End.

I don't know much about Rivers, but I know this about Crowell: he's a rock solid starter in this league, nothing less, nothing more. He's never going to be a playmaker. We could certainly use a playmaker among the LBs, and if Rivers is that guy, I can't bash the pick.

Can't believe I'm agreeing with obi and K-9, I must be losing it... ;)

Rivers hasnt played one down in the NFL...I dont understand how anyone can say this kid is going to step in and be a playmaker...any more than one bashing a WR at 11 b/c its too high and the WR's '40%-50% success rate'. Lasted i checked LB werent going at success rates of 80-90%.

We drafted Puz last year, sign KM this offseason. Crowell is the only main stay on our defense from last year (puz injured), i HIGHLY doubt that we'd want to add another newbie into the mix. Sign Crowell...he IS a playmaker. If you all are that worried about getting after the QB then we should be looking at DE, b/c Kelsay doesnt cut it.

Sweed at 11, Cason (CB) from AZ 2nd.

You are drafting Rivers with the upside of being an impact playmaker.

Even if he does not start from day 1, he will play a lot in a rotation.

Passing up impact players just to draft an inferior WR - because he is tall is plain dumb.

Especially with the historical trend that the WR won't produce significantly in year 1 (or year 2 for taht matter)

Dude, You could replace the Name Rivers with Thomas in Your 1st sentence and it would explain EXACTLY why the Bills would take the WR at #11 ...There are those who feel Thomas' upside is that of an impact #1 WR...He has all the tools to be exactly that...He lacks experience, that's it...He's fast, has an incredible burt, very good hands, uses his body well, is REAL good in the open Field, he breaks tackles, he blocks, and he's a better than average Kick Returner...That's a TON of upside...

Look...I understand there are a bunch of "Scouts" out there killing Thomas and Sweed...saying neither is worthy of a Top 15 Pick...and they may be right...Of coarse there are other Scouts who have Thomas rated MUCH higher and have felt all along the Bills will take Him at #11 Overall...

Based on their last Year in College I'm not sure how You can possibly say Rivers is MORE of an impact Player than Thomas...Cause He was not...As much? Maybe so...But more?...No way...In fact Thomas was far more valuable to MSU than Rivers was to USC...Of coarse I understand there is a MASSIVE overall talent differential there...But I digress...So now we are PROJECTING impact in an area that We all know is not an exact science, that is unless somehow recently Tony Mandrich, Mike Williams, Brian Bozworth, Ryan Leaf and a host of others became perenial Pro Bowlers like they were supposed to...

So...Realize this...The Bills MAY Draft Thomas or Sweed at #11, and they MAY be dead wrong when it's all said and done...That being said, if they do so all it means is The Bills Scouts had one of the 2 rated a lot higher than some other Scouts in the League (ie...Whitner and Lynch)...And until this plays out a few Years down the Road it's not "plain dumb." Risky? Maybe a bit, but it ain't dumb cause no one, including Yours truly really knows WTF is gonna happen to most of these Kids when they enter the NFL...That is the only thing I know for certain...We don't know... ;)

Dude, You could replace the Name Rivers with Thomas in Your 1st sentence and it would explain EXACTLY why the Bills would take the WR at #11 ...There are those who feel Thomas' upside is that of an impact #1 WR...He has all the tools to be exactly that...He lacks experience, that's it...He's fast, has an incredible burt, very good hands, uses his body well, is REAL good in the open Field, he breaks tackles, he blocks, and he's a better than average Kick Returner...That's a TON of upside...

Look...I understand there are a bunch of "Scouts" out there killing Thomas and Sweed...saying neither is worthy of a Top 15 Pick...and they may be right...Of coarse there are other Scouts who have Thomas rated MUCH higher and have felt all along the Bills will take Him at #11 Overall...

Based on their last Year in College I'm not sure how You can possibly say Rivers is MORE of an impact Player than Thomas...Cause He was not...As much? Maybe so...But more?...No way...In fact Thomas was far more valuable to MSU than Rivers was to USC...Of coarse I understand there is a MASSIVE overall talent differential there...But I digress...So now we are PROJECTING impact in an area that We all know is not an exact science, that is unless somehow recently Tony Mandrich, Mike Williams, Brian Bozworth, Ryan Leaf and a host of others became perenial Pro Bowlers like they were supposed to...

So...Realize this...The Bills MAY Draft Thomas or Sweed at #11, and they MAY be dead wrong when it's all said and done...That being said, if they do so all it means is The Bills Scouts had one of the 2 rated a lot higher than some other Scouts in the League (ie...Whitner and Lynch)...And until this plays out a few Years down the Road it's not "plain dumb." Risky? Maybe a bit, but it ain't dumb cause no one, including Yours truly really knows WTF is gonna happen to most of these Kids when they enter the NFL...That is the only thing I know for certain...We don't know... ;)

Exactly. How the hell does anyone know how any college player will translate to the pros? Robert Gallery has switched positions 3 times and was said to be a lock as a great player.

Also, who plays next to Thomas? MSU has very little talnet besides Thomas and Kellen Davis. Rivers played behind a probable 10 top DT, a possible 1st round DE, and next to a MLB who will be a 1st rounder at the vey least next year. I like Rivers but let's not at like he is a sure fire stud. USC is a loaded defense.

Bingo...We have four areas of immediate need...maybe five if you include cornerback (I don't..but many do). I see us trading down and getting one of many quality wr's late in the first, a TE, DE and Center in the next few choices. I can go sooo far (although I'm not big on the idea) of drafting a can't miss corner if there is one available in round 2. Linebacker is looking pretty good just the way it is.

you are correct.

Next year we can reach for an inferior LB after Crowell leaves in free agency.

This year our 1st round is better spent reaching for the inferior WR. ;)

you are correct.

Next year we can reach for an inferior LB after Crowell leaves in free agency.

This year our 1st round is better spent reaching for the inferior WR. ;)

or we could just re-sign crowell and stop creating holes. but i'm sure that thought has yet to penetrate the concrete between your ears.

Crowell is a god when you compare him to Coy Wire and the pizza boy.

not quite so good when you compared to an impact player

Dude, no one even heard of Devin Thomas when the draft evaluation process started once the 2007 season was in the books. Devin is only on top because of default from bad times, lagging injuries and character issues. Thomas' biggest plus is his speed yet when I see video on him he looks way more like a Josh Reed kind of receiver. He's certainly wasn't a deep threat. It looks like the bulk of his work came after the catch. That's fine and dandy for a second or third round WR, but NOT when you are looking for a game breaking first round WR! The more I look at him, the more I see first round bust that will struggle to even be a starting NFL receiver. He has slot receiver written all over him, which is BAD news if you picked the guy in the first freaking round.

I'll say it now...40 times be damned...Kelly, Hardy and Sweed will ALL be better pro receivers than Thomas.

Mark it down...Keith Rivers will be a pro bowler, he's has that kind of game changing talent. Devin Thomas will be a bust for whoever picks him, he just doesn't play up to his timed speed or have the game changing attributes you expect from a WR picked in the first round.

Dude, no one even heard of Devin Thomas when the draft evaluation process started once the 2007 season was in the books. Devin is only on top because of default from bad times, lagging injuries and character issues. Thomas' biggest plus is his speed yet when I see video on him he looks way more like a Josh Reed kind of receiver. He's certainly wasn't a deep threat. It looks like the bulk of his work came after the catch. That's fine and dandy for a second or third round WR, but NOT when you are looking for a game breaking first round WR! The more I look at him, the more I see first round bust that will struggle to even be a starting NFL receiver. He has slot receiver written all over him, which is BAD news if you picked the guy in the first freaking round.

I'll say it now...40 times be damned...Kelly, Hardy and Sweed will ALL be better pro receivers than Thomas.

Mark it down...Keith Rivers will be a pro bowler, he's has that kind of game changing talent. Devin Thomas will be a bust for whoever picks him, he just doesn't play up to his timed speed or have the game changing attributes you expect from a WR picked in the first round.

Dude:

Yeah, his 0 sacks and 0 interceptions sure turned around alot of games for USC last year. ;)

You havent heard of him, so he's no good? I'm guessing the Bills scouting staff has probably heard of Devin Thomas before, and perhaps even saw a game or 2 of his.

Excellent post particularly about the only thing we know for certain is not knowing.

People know my (and others) view on Rivers but I have no problem with Thomas either. From my point of view, BOTH Thomas and Rivers would ALREADY BE better players than anyone on the team they'd be penciled in to replace. So regardless, we would upgrade either position on our team.

For many reasons rookies on defense have better opportunity to impact than offensive players. That's just not historical fact it's common knowledge to anyone who's involved in the sport. Since we are in dire need of playmakers on EITHER side of the ball that's why I favor the defensive side and the selection of Rivers, if he's there. But he won't be.

As for reaching for Thomas? If the Bills have him targeted then by all means they should take him with the 11th pick. The term 'reach' is assinine to begin with.

GO BILLS!!!

Because we all know everyone from USC lives up to expectations. ;)

Dude:

Yeah, his 0 sacks and 0 interceptions sure turned around alot of games for USC last year. ;)

You keep trotting out these sack and interception stats like they mean something to people who just might know better, like Gil Brandt and just about anyone else who rates college players and gets paid for it. Why hasn't ANYONE but YOU looked at the his sack/INT stats and reached the same conclusions?

It's one thing to disagree that the Bills shouldn't take the guy when they have other needs and we can all have great fun arguing the merits. I'm just wondering what we're all missing about Rivers except you.

GO BILLS!!!

You havent heard of him, so he's no good? I'm guessing the Bills scouting staff has probably heard of Devin Thomas before, and perhaps even saw a game or 2 of his.

My point is that he's become the highest rated receiver in this class by default when in reality he really should be the fourth best WR if you base your decisions on what these players have done on the field of play. He's a one year wonder, former JUCO player. The other WRs have been players at a high level for a much longer period of time and have much better size. Their games will translate much better in the NFL than Thomas' run after the catch game. Wasn't that Josh Reed's biggest asset???? Yet THAT never materialized because NFL DBs are just as fast if not faster than NFL WRs. I really hope the Bills don't take the bait on this guy Devin Thomas, he's not the WR we are looking for. The WRs the Bills should really be aiming for is Kelly, Sweed or Hardy (and only in a trade up from their second rd pick)!

My point is that he's become the highest rated receiver in this class by default when in reality he really should be the fourth best WR if you base your decisions on what these players have done on the field of play. He's a one year wonder, former JUCO player. The other WRs have been players at a high level for a much longer period of time and have much better size. Their games will translate much better in the NFL than Thomas' run after the catch game. Wasn't that Josh Reed's biggest asset???? Yet THAT never materialized because NFL DBs are just as fast if not faster than NFL WRs. I really hope the Bills don't take the bait on this guy Devin Thomas, he's not the WR we are looking for. The WRs the Bills should really be aiming for is Kelly, Sweed or Hardy (and only in a trade up from their second rd pick)!

I'd rather take Sweed or Thomas at #11 then spend both 2nd and 3rd rounders in an effort to trade up to get one of them.

or we could just re-sign crowell and stop creating holes. but i'm sure that thought has yet to penetrate the concrete between your ears.

well if Marv was still here - I guess overpaying for maginal talent would be the most likely course.

Hoepfully, Brandon has raised the bar and is looking for impact players to sink big money in .

I'd rather take Sweed or Thomas at #11 then spend both 2nd and 3rd rounders in an effort to trade up to get one of them.

Is see Malcolm Kelly as our guy. All we'd need to do is to jump ahead of SF in the second round which will only take a 4th (we have 2 picks in that round anyways). Throw out the forty times, the guy can play and would be a steal in the second round.