Jared Allen, DE to be traded to Vikings

Ive never paid much attention to the Chiefs, but was Allen a productive every season he played? Last I knew he wanted Dwight Freeney type cash.......and I didnt think he had that much production? I could be wrong, but I thought he had one solid year and that was all?

Ive never paid much attention to the Chiefs, but was Allen a productive every season he played? Last I knew he wanted Dwight Freeney type cash.......and I didnt think he had that much production? I could be wrong, but I thought he had one solid year and that was all?

4 years in the league, sack totals:

Linkage

The Chiefs will receive Minnesota's first- (17th overall) and both of its third-round picks (73rd and 82nd) as compensation. Kansas City has been looking to acquire additional draft picks in an attempt to speed up coach Herm Edwards' rebuilding project for a team that lost its last nine games in 2007 and finished 4-12

Nice reward at least. :devil:

General manager Carl Peterson's relationship with Allen has been strained ever since Peterson, in the wake of Allen's DUI convictions, described him as "a young man at risk." Allen, who could be suspended for a season if he has another alcohol-related episode, had said he would not negotiate with Kansas City if he didn't get a contract done by next July.

Now that makes sense! This is a great trade for KC! It'd be funny if Allen was suspended for this year. KC would be laughing all the way to the season. :blush:

I think you're getting all the picks mixed up now. The Chiefs are the one's picking 5th and 17th now. They no longer have Allen nor do they have a DT named Williams.

yea you're right. time to hit the hay and get my brain straightened out. hopefully tomorrow i'll have more respectable and accurate comments to make

Wow Chiefs got alot for him.

Agreed they did.

As much as it would stink to give up a player of Allens caliber, it seems like a good trade.

Kansas City lost there last 9 games last year and should be in full scale rebuilding mode.

They are in need of a major talent infusion.

These extra choices will give them a ton of flexibility in the draft this year.

I love this trade for KC. They now have 6 picks in the top 100. They could get a lot of good young talent. Nice work.

same here. That team has lots of holes. Heck I would consider trading LJ, and stockpile with youth. I think there is a lot of depth in this draft and it is wise to stockpile picks. Some years the talent is at the top, well the talent goes for several rounds this year IMO

same here. That team has lots of holes. Heck I would consider trading LJ, and stockpile with youth. I think there is a lot of depth in this class and it is wise to stockpile picks. Some years the talent is at the top, well the talent goes for several rounds this year IMO

They should've traded him after his 400 carry season instead of signing him to a big contract. His trade value will never be as high as it was then. There's also the whole thing with rb's who received 400 carries in a season tend to go downhill pretty quickly. They worked LJ like a dog, and it's showed. He just looks slow and hesitant now. Another classic example of why not to give rb's a big 2nd contract.

Very interesting trade.... KC gets set up with a great draft... and when Minnesota finds its QB to take pressure off AP, they could be very dominant in a division that no longer has Favre...

I'm glad though that the Bills didn't go that far... For that price, they can have him...

Very interesting trade.... KC gets set up with a great draft... and when Minnesota finds its QB to take pressure off AP, they could be very dominant in a division that no longer has Favre...

I'm glad though that the Bills didn't go that far... For that price, they can have him...

A number of years back, Minny paid a steep price to get Herschel Walker from Dallas, and that ended up being a horrible trade for them. This could also backfire on them as well.

As for Kansas City, Peterson (GM) and Edwards (HC) are both little more than jokes these days. How hard they have fallen.

I fail to see how this is a good move for the Chiefs. This board has been crazy about 'building the lines' lately and yet it seems to be a relative consensus good move that the Chiefs get rid of one of the best young pass rushing DEs in the league.

What a combo Allen/Hali might have been for them over the next 5-8 years.

Draft picks are over-valued. They get the #17 pick & a couple of 3rd rounders. The #17 pick gives them a 50% chance of getting a bust......with obviously a much smaller chance of getting a player as good as Allen. 2 3rd rounders......chances are slim. It would be perhaps different if he was old but he is only entering his 5th season & is 26 years old.

Bad move by the Chiefs IMO.

I fail to see how this is a good move for the Chiefs. This board has been crazy about 'building the lines' lately and yet it seems to be a relative consensus good move that the Chiefs get rid of one of the best young pass rushing DEs in the league.

What a combo Allen/Hali might have been for them over the next 5-8 years.

Draft picks are over-valued. They get the #17 pick & a couple of 3rd rounders. The #17 pick gives them a 50% chance of getting a bust......with obviously a much smaller chance of getting a player as good as Allen. 2 3rd rounders......chances are slim. It would be perhaps different if he was old but he is only entering his 5th season & is 26 years old.

Bad move by the Chiefs IMO.

Jared Allen is a great player without a doubt, but look at it this way. He has 2 dui convictions, and is 1 screwup away from being suspended for a year. Mess up after that we're talking long term suspension. With the 31 mil in guranteed money 74 mil total he just got from the vikings. The fact he refused to sign an extension with KC, made trading him pretty much a priority before they lost him for nothing. BTW for all the sacks he had this year. None of those sacks came in the 4th quarter of games. A friend of mine who's a die hard chiefs fan routinely complained about Allen for the past few years, and his penchant for dissapearing late in games. A very good pass rusher. The Risk for KC was just not worth it. As far as the draft being overvalued. Well considering they drafted allen and hali, kinda defeats your point. They have a lot of different avenues to go via the draft, and aren't forced to settle in on any position.

A number of years back, Minny paid a steep price to get Herschel Walker from Dallas, and that ended up being a horrible trade for them. This could also backfire on them as well.

As for Kansas City, Peterson (GM) and Edwards (HC) are both little more than jokes these days. How hard they have fallen.

Yes, that Herschel Walker trade gave us a nice, juicy bite in the ass too.... :devil: Damned Cowboys!

As I said, they (MIN.) gave up a lot, but they had a very capable DL before getting Allen... and arguably, going into this next season, a top five RB with a solid OL in front... They find the right QB and they will be dangerous....

KC should have never let Vermeil and Saunders leave... The offense has never been the same since....

Also of note on Allen's DUI issues is the fact he owns a bar. Now this does not mean he will be more of a risk to get a third strike, but you think with the seriousness of his situation he would stay away from alcohol completely. This was mentioned on NFL Total Access the other day.

I think KC's move is prudent and Peterson isn't known for being stupid (though in the short term, he did hire Herm "Friggin" Edwards"). It's not a terrible or great trade for either team. It's simply a balancing act between risk and reward. KC is betting that they couldn't resign Allen to a contract that would balance out his issue and Minnesota is betting they can.

Gonna be interesting to see which of them is correct.

I think KC's move is prudent and Peterson isn't known for being stupid (though in the short term, he did hire Herm "Friggin" Edwards"). It's not a terrible or great trade for either team. It's simply a balancing act between risk and reward. KC is betting that they couldn't resign Allen to a contract that would balance out his issue and Minnesota is betting they can.

Gonna be interesting to see which of them is correct.

If Allen is suspended for a year then it's a slam dunk for KC. Minny's gonna have a very scary defense this year. ;)

The Chefs are in full-fledged rebuilding mode. Why keep a malcontent like Jared Allen?

This is a great move by KC...potentially a great move by the Vikings, but if Allen slips up once more, he's probably gone for a year. Kansas City now has a whopping 14 draft picks...at least two in each round except the second (three in the third round).

They're probably not getting out of the AFC West cellar this year, but this could set up their future.