I would pick a lineman

Billsguy

yawn.

fewest sacks allowed in team history, fewest passing touchdowns in the nfl.

i think the problem isn't our line, it's our lack of playmakers.

our sack total went down a ton, and all we lost was a corner and 2 LBs. we've added 2 LB's from the end of the last season (poz being hurt) and adding a corner along

w all the linemen we signed will will put our D over the top.

my ideal draft for the record starts with us trading to 19 for a 3rd and lito shep (and signing him) and nabbing the best wr at 19, te in 2nd, and og in 3rd.

My ideal draft would be for a new head coach.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yawn.

fewest sacks allowed in team history, fewest passing touchdowns in the nfl.

i think the problem isn't our line, it's our lack of playmakers.

our sack total went down a ton, and all we lost was a corner and 2 LBs. we've added 2 LB's from the end of the last season (poz being hurt) and adding a corner along

w all the linemen we signed will will put our D over the top.

my ideal draft for the record starts with us trading to 19 for a 3rd and lito shep (and signing him) and nabbing the best wr at 19, te in 2nd, and og in 3rd.

All those skill player upgrades become useless when peters gets hurt or the Duke has to fill in for someone.

Or the QB has all day to throw, so he throws away from that 1 expensive CB we drafted - instead of a front 7 defender who could pressure teh QB.

All those skill player upgrades become useless when peters gets hurt or the Duke has to fill in for someone.

Or the QB has all day to throw, so he throws away from that 1 expensive CB we drafted - instead of a front 7 defender who could pressure teh QB.

corners help pressure.

look at what we did WITH THE SAME LINEMEN

with clements and without clements.

look at what the giants did with a healthy madison and their rook, and the year before without.

corners are a big part of the d -- that's why they barely do a thing against the run yet are the most expensive guys (next to superstar pass rushers, but there

really aren't that many of those).

you're basically saying we should draft depth for our oline, you can't possibly think a back up lineman is more important than generating more points. we have a good o line, but

we barely score.

you're basically saying we should draft depth for our oline, you can't possibly think a back up lineman is more important than generating more points. we have a good o line, but we barely score.

Silly colin, in this bad year for WR's we should take one of the WR's who is worse than the horrible ones expected to go in the first round. That will solve our offensive woes. That and drafting a player to learn 2 new positions at the same time, all while he doesn't see the feild all year. THAT is how you become good....

FWIW worth Limas Sweed would be one of those can't miss WR prospects if he didn't have the wrist inury. IMHO.

corners help pressure.

look at what we did WITH THE SAME LINEMEN

with clements and without clements.

look at what the giants did with a healthy madison and their rook, and the year before without.

corners are a big part of the d -- that's why they barely do a thing against the run yet are the most expensive guys (next to superstar pass rushers, but there

really aren't that many of those).

you're basically saying we should draft depth for our oline, you can't possibly think a back up lineman is more important than generating more points. we have a good o line, but

we barely score.

our OL was incapable of converting 3rd and short last year which is why the offense scored so few points.

Fairchild also compounded the problem by not even atempting to throw the ball in to the endzone.

Albert is a better choice in the 1st round than any WR.

our OL was incapable of converting 3rd and short last year which is why the offense scored so few points.

Fairchild also compounded the problem by not even atempting to throw the ball in to the endzone.

1) Fairchild is gone so that'll help. He loved to run the ball right up the middle, problem is we have a center as our weak leak (and I do mean weak) BTW Albert doesn't play center so he wouldn't help here either.

2) One of the reasons they didn't attempt to throw in the redzone is because we have smurfs playing WR. No O-lineman is going to make our WR's taller/stronger.

3) Albert will be a backup (you said it yourself), and him sitting on the bench won't help us run the ball on third.

4) If Sweed didn't have the wrist injury he would be projected to go top 10-15. If he is healed, (which I think he will is) I would take him at 11/ wherever we might trade down to.

Before we all come to the conclusion that Fairchild leaving will mean a quantum shift in play calling, consider this. It is usually the head coach (and Jauron has stated this in interviews) that will recommend a type of play in a critical situation. He may not call the exact play, but he will tell the OC in a 4th down situation, goal-line situation, 3rd and short, etc to "I want to run" or "throw it short" or "two tight ends". They also game plan for these situations. Fairchild does't just decide to run in goal-line situations all by himself. He calls those plays based on what they have already planned to do in critical situations or with input from the HC at that time. Y'all might be disappointed again this year unless Mr. Jauron shows some confidence in the offense and is more aggressive about scoring points.

Before we all come to the conclusion that Fairchild leaving will mean a quantum shift in play calling, consider this. It is usually the head coach (and Jauron has stated this in interviews) that will recommend a type of play in a critical situation. He may not call the exact play, but he will tell the OC in a 4th down situation, goal-line situation, 3rd and short, etc to "I want to run" or "throw it short" or "two tight ends". They also game plan for these situations. Fairchild does't just decide to run in goal-line situations all by himself. He calls those plays based on what they have already planned to do in critical situations or with input from the HC at that time. Y'all might be disappointed again this year unless Mr. Jauron shows some confidence in the offense and is more aggressive about scoring points.

But instead of running right up the middle with an undersized backup TE playing FB, and right behind our weakest lineman. We might actually run between the tackle/guard or even (dare I say) outside.

And We also have a new O-line coach. Who has stated he was going to change our style of blocking to better fit our personel. (more man, less zone)

Plus the coaches have already stated they were going to call more slants/crossing patterns (which would be more than the 2 we called last year)

Add in that we will have a new WR and TE (probably), and I don't think it will be as similar as some think. The biggest change might be in the rezone if we do get a new WR/TE. We would actually have the personel in place to throw the ball in the endzone :thumbsup:

You REALLY should change your username. To each his own, but you are one pesimistic mofo....

I like the direction the Bills are headed with personnel. Don't like what the coach is doing with the players. To win in the NFL you need a winning level of talent and a winning approach to the game. I don't see the winning approach. I do see the same DJ that I watched here in Chicago for several years. That's really disappointing to me. When he was hired by the Bills, several friends here in Chicago chuckled and said to me "good luck". I defended the hire then saying that Jauron will have learned a lot the first time around and will be better for that experience. So far I don't see that. What I see is the same overly cautious, manage the game to keep it close and hope to win it in the last 4 minutes crap that he deployed in Chicago. His public presentations from week to week about the last game or the next game are mirror images of what he said here in Chicago. It's a friggin miracle that the bears won 12 or 13 games that one year when he was coach. They had an amazing stretch of lucky plays at the end of games and played in a very weak division. My Bills crystal ball shows a rise in the talent level in Buffalo with a playoff birth and early exit in '09 and that being the peak of the DJ era. Being wrong about this would be great.

I like the direction the Bills are headed with personnel. Don't like what the coach is doing with the players. To win in the NFL you need a winning level of talent and a winning approach to the game. I don't see the winning approach. I do see the same DJ that I watched here in Chicago for several years. That's really disappointing to me. When he was hired by the Bills, several friends here in Chicago chuckled and said to me "good luck". I defended the hire then saying that Jauron will have learned a lot the first time around and will be better for that experience. So far I don't see that. What I see is the same overly cautious, manage the game to keep it close and hope to win it in the last 4 minutes crap that he deployed in Chicago. His public presentations from week to week about the last game or the next game are mirror images of what he said here in Chicago. It's a friggin miracle that the bears won 12 or 13 games that one year when he was coach. They had an amazing stretch of lucky plays at the end of games and played in a very weak division. My Bills crystal ball shows a rise in the talent level in Buffalo with a playoff birth and early exit in '09 and that being the peak of the DJ era. Being wrong about this would be great.

:thumbsup: I was wondering if you saw that.

As for DJ, I would like to see him take more chances. But with JP and a rookie at QB, a rookie RB (who didn't pass block too well) and not a lot of talent surrounding them I didn't mind it much last year.

With his job on the line, I think he loosens the reigns a bit.

Is it September yet?

I feel exactly the same way. It's really hard to get excited about the team when you can see that the coach plays "not to lose". It leads to decent records , but never the big prize.

It's also boring to watch.

There is a huge difference in both talent and position.

I prefer drafting a premier DL or OL prospect who slides out of the top 10 that would fortify the foundation of the team.

You would rather reach for a 1 year wonder who is on ly being considered in the 1st round because he is tall and the best of a very weak class of WRs. Not to mention, he plays a position that busts more than any other and tyupcially takes 3 years to be productive for the survivors.

The Bills have been following your plan for years and the playoff record is telling.

My plan??? :thumbsup:

Please don't assume what I may or may not prefer.

My beef is with people automatically assuming that the can't miss player(in this case a lineman).....(and also in this case is not even one of the premiere talents in the draft) can't miss. History shows consistently that there are as many busts from the 7-13 range as from the 14-20 range.....or the difference is so small it equates to them being the same.

Whoever we pick....if we trade up.....if we trade down....if we reach at #11....if a premiere talent drops to #11.....we will not be able to consider them 'can't miss' until they prove themselves on the field and any player taken by us has roughly the same potential to become a star(unless we trade into the top 4ish)

honestly, you are one of the fans who react to linemen being underrated in terms of their impact (and they often are) by totally

overrating their impact.

if you remember the dallas game, we often shut their run down by lining our LBs up right in the a gaps and daring them to run. they did and we blasted them. dallas has a very good short yardage running game.

the thing is as a D (even with our terrible LBs) we can hurt a play if we know it is coming in the run game.

baltimore shuts down nearly everyone's running game, although lynch played well as a rookie on a bad bad O against them.

the point of this is that your line alone does not determine your running or passing game. we were an above average running team with a rookie rb who was hurt for a few games and nearly the worst passing game in the nfl. we don't need more 3rd and shorts converted, we need more points.

a real passing threat (with multiple WRs) does wonders for a running game, it clears out defenders, puts LBs in react instead of attack mode, and gives the linemen an advantage as the d is guessing more often then knowing what the play is.

every gilbride O has great YPC because he puts so much pressure on the D with his passing scheme. this includes the 02 and 03 bills, and the super bowl champion new york giants.

i agree linemen are important, but we've got about the best tackle in the game, a top 5 guard, a couple other decent guys on the Oline, and we just beefed up our D line.

i will take a lineman if he is a true top talent at 11, like top 5 or so. otherwise a corner or trade or whatever is better.

if we take a guard he had better be the second coming of rueben brown, oherwise he just isn't worth the 11th pick to us.

The D-Line is also solid, especially the DT rotation. Yes, I know the argument that you can never have enough talent at DT and we only have four players who are really capable of starting or playing consistently. However, four solid to elite players is enough to say we don't NEED another one in the draft. Again, the same situation is true at LB. We have five solid guys who can come in and play. We could USE another one, but we don't NEED one. Plus, that is a position we can shore up easily after the camp cuts. Lastly, DE is arguably he position where we could use another play maker, but there are two responses. First, the improvement on the D-Line is going to make them better. Taking the double teams away from Schobel and Kelsay will give them many more chances to make plays and disrupt the backfield. Second, Buffalo should resign Al Wallace as a backup. He's not a starter but was a very good rotational player who could be valuable to the team.

I have to dissagree here. We are in the AFC East. We should be looking for ways to nuetralize Tom Brady. The Bills have a tremendous opportunity to do just that. With the additions in the off season so far we have made strides in the right direction but the Defense isn't there yet. What this team needs is a strong pass rush. Defensive End? Possibly. I think Stroud is good, but another addition to our current rotation should be considered and not just anyone. We need a lineman that can push our current starters. A truly dominant defense requires it. That will not only make the rest of the team better, it will put the fear of God into Brady and company. I don't want a draft that will secure second place in the division. Second best is just not an option. Playmakers on offense are a dime a dozen but Defensive linemen are hard to find. We can address our other positions later in the draft.

I have to dissagree here. We are in the AFC East. We should be looking for ways to nuetralize Tom Brady. The Bills have a tremendous opportunity to do just that. With the additions in the off season so far we have made strides in the right direction but the Defense isn't there yet. What this team needs is a strong pass rush. Defensive End? Possibly. I think Stroud is good, but another addition to our current rotation should be considered and not just anyone. We need a lineman that can push our current starters. A truly dominant defense requires it. That will not only make the rest of the team better, it will put the fear of God into Brady and company. I don't want a draft that will secure second place in the division. Second best is just not an option. Playmakers on offense are a dime a dozen but Defensive linemen are hard to find. We can address our other positions later in the draft.

for this and ol i agree in principal, but only the very top rated guys this year are like that. if one falls to 11 that's one thing (and if they do there would be a run on the rbs, qbs, corners to make it happen) but an ok lineman vs a very good corner or nice trade down wouldn't be prudent.

if the bills think alberts is the best pure G in 5 or 10 years then i'm all for taking him at 11, but is he, and if he is will he be there?

my bottom line is taking a wr or cb in the first can very well be good, and a lineman isn't always sure thing.

The way I see it, barring something really crazy happening, the following 7 players are definitely coming off the board before our pick (in whatever order):

J Long, G Dorsey, V Gholston, C Long, S Ellis, D McFadden, M Ryan. That would mean that only 3 other players will come off the board, meaning that the Bills probably have their next 4 rated to ensure that they don't reach at that position. Of course, none of us know what kind of draft grades they have assigned to players, so it is only our own best guess how they have them ranked. Modrak admitted that McKelvin was a top 10 player, so he obviously would appear on that last of 4. The question is: who are the other 3? I would submit, perhaps Rivers, Albert, and Harvey are the other three.

1. Devin Thomas or James Hardy

2. Brandon Flowers

2. Dustin Kellar or Fred Davis

3. Mike Pollack

4. Best DE available

4. Owen Schmitt

That's the best move for the Bills to add solid talent at all positions of NEED and WANT in this draft.

Hey- we already drafted a guy named Flowers, and he was a bust. We don't need another one! :thumbsup:

My priorities in order of preference for the Bills in round 1:

1)Branden Albert of Virginia for the offensive line!!!!!

2)Derrick Harvey for the DL. (Kelsay and Denney aren't getting it done)

I agree in general; I think the Bills need to take someone that'll play on the front 7 or on the OL.

It's funny, the major complaint with TD is that he ignored the lines to take skill players (Williams being the exception and he was a bust). Now all most people want in the first three rounds are a WR, TE, and CB. I guess I missed where the Bills were a dominant run team, stopped the run really well and had a great pass rush.