Are the Bills really a cold weather team?

There has been alot of talk about the Bills playing a December game against Miami indoors and how that is huge disadvantage (and unfair to fans), however, I do not think the Bills are the cold weather force we think they are. In cold weather games last year we played no better (or worse) than our opponents.

If you look at our December schedule of 2007: 12/2 at Washington - the weather was pleasant for football and we won thanks largly to Gibbs not knowing the rules, 12/16 at Clevland- the weather was VERY unforgiving and we could not even muster a point, 12/23 New York at home - we looked cold and lost (however they were the better team), and our last game of the season at Philli - our cold weather skills were no advantage.

Additionally, our quarterback (and back-up quarterback) and running back are from the west coast and have not looked comfortable in winter weather and the entire team practices in a temp. controlled field house (for the most part).

As I see it from a competition standpoint we have little advantage playing outdoors. I would actually argue the opposite. Playing outdoors in winter more than other teams increases the risks of injury to our players and increases fatigue to our players over the long haul.

We have beat the dolphins that last couple of years becuase we have been the BETTER TEAM, not becuase of the weather. That said, I beleive that the Bills are good enough that even if they played both games this year in Miami they would still handidly beat the Dolphins twice.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense for Buffalo to build a new dome stadium (maybe in the city) and maybe, just maybe, it will keep y favorite football team where they belong. It definatly would make December games much easier to sell out than they have been in recent years past. As a lifelong fan, I have been to many, many December games and as fun as it is to talk about the elements of the game and how tough I was as a fan, I was cold and miserable (even whern in a heated seat) at many of those games and would have much perferred a tempature controlled staduim.

I welcome your comments.

There has been alot of talk about the Bills playing a December game against Miami indoors and how that is huge disadvantage (and unfair to fans), however, I do not think the Bills are the cold weather force we think they are. In cold weather games last year we played no better (or worse) than our opponents.

If you look at our December schedule of 2007: 12/2 at Washington - the weather was pleasant for football and we won thanks largly to Gibbs not knowing the rules, 12/16 at Clevland- the weather was VERY unforgiving and we could not even muster a point, 12/23 New York at home - we looked cold and lost (however they were the better team), and our last game of the season at Philli - our cold weather skills were no advantage.

Additionally, our quarterback (and back-up quarterback) and running back are from the west coast and have not looked comfortable in winter weather and the entire team practices in a temp. controlled field house (for the most part).

As I see it from a competition standpoint we have little advantage playing outdoors. I would actually argue the opposite. Playing outdoors in winter more than other teams increases the risks of injury to our players and increases fatigue to our players over the long haul.

We have beat the dolphins that last couple of years becuase we have been the BETTER TEAM, not becuase of the weather. That said, I beleive that the Bills are good enough that even if they played both games this year in Miami they would still handidly beat the Dolphins twice.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense for Buffalo to build a new dome stadium (maybe in the city) and maybe, just maybe, it will keep y favorite football team where they belong. It definatly would make December games much easier to sell out than they have been in recent years past. As a lifelong fan, I have been to many, many December games and as fun as it is to talk about the elements of the game and how tough I was as a fan, I was cold and miserable (even whern in a heated seat) at many of those games and would have much perferred a tempature controlled staduim.

I welcome your comments.

You hit the nail on the head. We beat teams in cold weather because we had better players. That simple. The rest of the cold weather advantage is a myth for the most part.

GO BILLS!!!

In the Super Bowl years, the team practiced in a Bubble that was heated and cooled. Are you proposing a return to the Bubble?

We already have a bubble to practice in that is heated in cooled, it is our multi-million dollar field house. The team rarely practices outside in inclemant weather.

I agree with you; the Bills playing poorly in December for the past 7-8 years has nothing to do with the weather, and everything to do with the team. I don't know that building a domed stadium is the answer, but I do know that if you're a good team you find a way to win regardless of the elements.

We already have a bubble to practice in that is heated in cooled, it is our multi-million dollar field house. The team rarely practices outside in inclemant weather.

Nor should they. It's all about getting quality practices and working on execution. Can't do that in windy conditions. Snow and rain are ok but if it's windy you have to practice indoors.

GO BILLS!!!

Nor should they. It's all about getting quality practices and working on exectution. Can't do that in windy conditions. Snow and rain are ok but if it's windy you have to practice indoors.

GO BILLS!!!

Agreed, point is that it is a whole lot easier to execute at game time in similiar conditions.

I welcome your comments.

I've always thought that FA has a lot to do with it, too. We're shuffling players so much that they never really become fully acclimated to the weather. I also think FA has done a number on classic rivalries, too, but that's another topic.

I've always thought that FA has a lot to do with it, too. We're shuffling players so much that they never really become fully acclimated to the weather. I also think FA has done a number on classic rivalries, too, but that's another topic.

Good point I had not considered that.

Based on what we saw in 2007 I think we as much a cold weather team as Miami. That's why I'm not pissed about the dome game in December. The days of pounding the Raiders in sub-zero weather are long gone.

PTR

We'll see. With last year's roster full of bantamweight WRs and small-but-quick DTs? I agree. Small-but-quick didn't work worth a damn once the field turned to crud, did it?

Size at WR/TE. Can we please get a receiver bigger than Brian Moorman?

(More) size in the front seven (Stroud and Mitchell should help). Then, we'll see.