McCain Calls For A Gas Tax 'Holiday'

We can encourage more Americans to burn up more gas like there is no tomorrow! While encouraging Americans to ignore the immediate crisis in energy we can also expand the deficit. McCain, a true Republican bent on running the country into the ground. Truly, he is Bush's heir to office

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/20080416/bs_bw/...b20080415958396

What is this gas tax you speak of? You mean the gubbamint is making money off gasoline? I thought it was only greedy oil companies and their shady CEOs

I wonder if Exxon/Mobile/BP/Shell/Citgo/Haliburton/Cheney etc have a profit margin of 18.4%

What is this gas tax you speak of? You mean the gubbamint is making money off gasoline? I thought it was only greedy oil companies and their shady CEOs

I wonder if Exxon/Mobile/BP/Shell/Citgo/Haliburton/Cheney etc have a profit margin of 18.4%

Yup, everything is the government's fault!

I wonder how much profit those oil companies would have made without the military protecting their interests in hostile areas of the world.

BTW, this isn't about profits, its about dealing with a shortage of a resource. They should be raising the taxes on gas so people will use less.

High gas prices = Republicans are eeeevil

Plan to lower gas prices = Republicans are eeeevil

This public service message has been brought to you by molton_retard and whoever dropped him on his head when he was an infant. Thank you.

Yup, everything is the government's fault!

I wonder how much profit those oil companies would have made without the military protecting their interests in hostile areas of the world.

BTW, this isn't about profits, its about dealing with a shortage of a resource. They should be raising the taxes on gas so people will use less.

Good thing those evil oil companies are paying hundreds of billions in taxes, on top of what the government collects from each gallon. Exxon alone pays 110 billion dollars a year in taxes. That's just Exxon. I don't have the sheets for citgo, sunoco, shell, chevron.

Can you honestly say you pay more in taxes than what you get back in service and support from the government? Please consider the infratrature (pipes, roads, library, schools, police, fire, military, etc....)

There profit margins would be similar. Also, f the US government didn't protect them, and they didn't have to pay the hundreds of billions in taxes they probably could fund a very efficient and effective miltary force to protect their interests. At a much lower cost, all while taking hundreds of billions out of our governments pocket.

You sure you really want to go down that road?

Again, another subject that you choose to shout the dem line and not look at the whole picture, just the wonderful little soundbite to make Mccain, the repubs and the oil copanies sound evil.

Again, another subject that you choose to shout the dem line and not look at the whole picture, just the wonderful little soundbite to make Mccain, the repubs and the oil copanies sound evil.

I certainly wouldn't use the word evil but stupid certainly comes to mind. They (read: politicians) just feign ignorance of economics and the inelastic nature of demand for goods such as cigarettes and gas which make them ripe targets for taxation. Certainly sounds great that McCain is attempting to help the revered common man, but this proposal makes no sense. We just don't have enough refining capacity to satisfy the demand surge that will be caused by this price shock.

I certainly wouldn't use the word evil but stupid certainly comes to mind. They (read: politicians) just feign ignorance of economics and the inelastic nature of demand for goods such as cigarettes and gas which make them ripe targets for taxation. Certainly sounds great that McCain is attempting to help the revered common man, but this proposal makes no sense. We just don't have enough refining capacity to satisfy the demand surge that will be caused by this price shock.

If the demand is inelastic, why would lowering the price create a demand surge?

In any event, the gas tax was never meant as a sin tax to curb global warming or pollution, was it? It's just a revenue producer.

The economics of driving make sense no matter whether the .30 tax is in effect or not. It's not a matter of elastic demand until the price goes a lot higher. I'm taking a trip to Buffalo this summer from Philadelphia. I'm looking at a 14 hour car ride that will cost about $120 in gas. Compare that to 24 hours (total) in a train ride that costs about $600 (arriving sans car unless I rent for more $$). Compare that with a 9 hour (door to door) about $400 plane ride (same car issue). Tell me which one I'm doing? The tax and price doesn't even begin to figure into my decision.

In any event, the gas tax was never meant as a sin tax to curb global warming or pollution, was it? It's just a revenue producer.

The economics of driving make sense no matter whether the .30 tax is in effect or not. It's not a matter of elastic demand until the price goes a lot higher. I'm taking a trip to Buffalo this summer from Philadelphia. I'm looking at a 14 hour car ride that will cost about $120 in gas. Compare that to 24 hours (total) in a train ride that costs about $600 (arriving sans car unless I rent for more $$). Compare that with a 9 hour (door to door) about $400 plane ride (same car issue). Tell me which one I'm doing? The tax and price doesn't even begin to figure into my decision.

So if you drive, you'll have an extra 30 bucks to spend on food, and in the local economies. Seems like it might help boost some local businesses. All at the expense of a highway upgrade being delayed a year.

So if you drive, you'll have an extra 30 bucks to spend on food, and in the local economies. Seems like it might help boost some local businesses. All at the expense of a highway upgrade being delayed a year.

Lest there be any confusion, I don't care about the federal gas tax being repealed or not. McCain is just giving America a Summer reach-around.

Lest there be any confusion, I don't care about the federal gas tax being repealed or not. McCain is just giving America a Summer reach-around.

Oh I agree, but a reach around, when we've been royally taking up the ass can help sometimes.

A moratorium on war spending for a week, returning the money in equal shares to the taxpayers, would be much better.

These morons have not yet figured out that stopping the flow of money coming IN to the government coffers is totally ineffective unless you also reduce the money going OUT. The taxpayer will just pay somewhere else and the candidate will be able to make a claim that mght turn into a good campaign slogan.

You can't dog citizens who get in over their heads in debt for doing the same things their "leaders" are doing. (Well, I can and DO because if I can't pay for it, I don't buy it. But that's just me.)

By the way I see oil is $115 a barrel. Does anyone remember what it was when the Chief Oil Executive took office? Somewhere in the 30's. Hmm. What's up with that do you think?

By the way I see oil is $115 a barrel. Does anyone remember what it was when the Chief Oil Executive took office? Somewhere in the 30's. Hmm. What's up with that do you think?

Decreasing supply, increasing demand, and a weak dollar. Only the last of which can you even think of pinning on the president.

Why is this concept so difficult for people?

Decreasing supply, increasing demand, and a weak dollar. Only the last of which can you even think of pinning on the president.

Because everything wrong in the universe is Bush's fault. Get with the program!

People are conditioned to assign blame. It is an easier way to operate and an easier way to assuage one's ego that they are standing on the "right" side of an issue. Assigning blame also circumvents the need for open and nuanced thought based in calm examination of the relevant information.

Why look at the subtleties and undercurrents that permeate an issue when one can easily pick out one factor among many and assign that one factor with the majority or totality of responsibility for the issue?

A moratorium on war spending for a week, returning the money in equal shares to the taxpayers, would be much better.

These morons have not yet figured out that stopping the flow of money coming IN to the government coffers is totally ineffective unless you also reduce the money going OUT. The taxpayer will just pay somewhere else and the candidate will be able to make a claim that mght turn into a good campaign slogan.

You can't dog citizens who get in over their heads in debt for doing the same things their "leaders" are doing. (Well, I can and DO because if I can't pay for it, I don't buy it. But that's just me.)

:lol:

Ya, the weak dollar has nothing to do Bushonomics, no nothing :lol:

And I would imagine that an Al Gore administrtaion would have done much more to lessen our reliance on foreign oil thru conservation measures that would have been road blocked, denounced and declared communistic by the current president's political party.

:lol:

You realize that's about 2 billion? That would be about 6 dollars per person. take away the overhead and government corruption to process those checks and you might see a buck.

Again you and blz and slapping each other on the back and coming up with stupid sh-- without considering the reality of the concept. :lol:

Ya, the weak dollar has nothing to do Bushonomics, no nothing :wallbash:

Only the last of which can you even think of pinning on the president.

What part of that didn't you understand?

And I would imagine that an Al Gore administrtaion would have done much more to lessen our reliance on foreign oil thru conservation measures that would have been road blocked, denounced and declared communistic by the current president's political party.

Because the price of domestic oil is so much cheaper. :P Really...what the !@#$ does Gore have to do with the worldwide price of oil? Start making sense, fool.

Absolutely friggin right... Now that global warming is being debunked also, I gonna burn more... Couple that with cheaper gas prices... Ya baby... Lets burn! No guilt...

By jove, you are right. I am also getting free money from the gubmint just in time for driving season. Perfect confluence of reasons to burn, baby, burn.

Because the price of domestic oil is so much cheaper. :P Really...what the !@#$ does Gore have to do with the worldwide price of oil? Start making sense, fool.

ALGORE can do anything. Well....except maybe for something really tough like defeating George Bush or Dee Snyder in a debate.

Tom I am going to pin the first one on GW as well. If we don't invade Iraq, they don't burn down the oil fields, thus more supply. Also, Bush could authorize the use of our reserves, which would increase supply. So, 2 out of 3 can be pinned on Bush IMO

Bush could authorize the use of our reserves

Use our strategic reserves because idiots who bought < 20mpg vehicles in the past ten years are whining about gas prices (but 75% of them still drive to work alone every day)??? :P

Please tell me you are not serious.

You realize that's about 2 billion? That would be about 6 dollars per person. take away the overhead and government corruption to process those checks and you might see a buck.

Again you and blz and slapping each other on the back and coming up with stupid sh-- without considering the reality of the concept. :P

OK so how about for the whole summer then?

You entirely missed my point, but that's the hallmark of a wingnut I guess. EVERYTHING is literal because the abstract is...too scary? Wish I knew.

And tell you what - I'd take one week with with NO US DEAD, NO DEAD CIVILIANS and celebrate it with a $6 latte. There would still be a lot of winners.

Well, starting out with the fact that it only takes about 7 hours to make that drive(are you driving like a granny?), having done it myself too many times to count, I'd say there isn't much debate. I used to try to fly whenever possible(and that doesn't take 9 hours door to door unless you are walking to the airport - more like 4), but the driving it meant I could stop at my parents house.

So yeah, other than the goofy math you have here, it usually made sense for me to drive whenever I had an unplanned need to get to Buffalo from Philly $ wise. If only JetBlue would run flights direct...then you might only be looking at $150-200. Oh well.

WE SUPPORT THE TROOPS, NOT THE WAR!

"But, hey troops if you don't mind, we aren't going to feed you for a week and you will have to conserve your ammo because we have a jackass agenda to prove to America that we can stop war spending, and we will get results. We will get the American people a windfall of 6 whole dollars!"

Ignignokt: Trust us, it all makes sense because we have thought of it, and since we are Moon people, and you should thank us because that makes us smarter than your pitiful civilization can even comprehend.

Err: Comprehend this, B word!

Ignignokt: Yes, Err, they don't understand the value of $6 because they are not from the Moon.

Err: $6 makes you my B word!

Ignignokt: Yes, Err, let us take our $6 to the Uni-mart and drown ourselves in luxurious Uni-Dogs

Err: You better get us there

Ignignokt: Yes, use your primitive vehicle to deliver us to the Uni-Mart, we command it

Tom I am going to pin the first one on GW as well. If we don't invade Iraq, they don't burn down the oil fields, thus more supply. Also, Bush could authorize the use of our reserves, which would increase supply. So, 2 out of 3 can be pinned on Bush IMO

I disagree with the reserve part as that really is a pittance overall compared to the market.

Further hypothetical, if Bush had instead focused on conservation and research after 9/11, instead of the Iraq war, it could have reduced demand. Tax credits for insulation, telecommuting for businesses, houses or even businesses getting off the grid through wind power or even solar (maybe depends on the battery disposal). Something along those lines would have decreased demand.

At the same time increasing supply and decreasing demand weakens the nations that supply oil. Is that a bad thing?

OK so how about for the whole summer then?

You entirely missed my point, but that's the hallmark of a wingnut I guess. EVERYTHING is literal because the abstract is...too scary? Wish I knew.

And tell you what - I'd take one week with with NO US DEAD, NO DEAD CIVILIANS and celebrate it with a $6 latte. There would still be a lot of winners.

And you could ensure that no us citizens would die around the world at the hands of terrorists if we just pulled out of iraq. Noone will ever attack us again. No US citizen will ever be kidnapped/terrorized on a cruise ship, in an airplane, doing business in a foreign country or on vacation in the Philippines, Qatar, Saudi, Israel , etc....

If you could prove that could happen, surebring all the troops home, disband the military and have a hug a liberal day.

But guess what the world isn't a pretty Garden of Eden where everyone loves us. We pull out of Iraq and Afghan istan, gas prices will triple, our citizens will be terrorized even more both at home and abroad, and we may as well just name a united Iran/Iraq as the next Empire to control the world.

I hope you like wearing a Ferka (sp???) waling 3 feet behind your husband and don't mind being killed by him when he's through with you.

I think the effect of invading Iraq is overrated in the oil markets. Consider: Iraqi oil exports have increased since the invasion from 500k barrels a day (NYT, 7/16/03) to almost 2 million barrels a day (a recent BusinessWeek article - I believe the number was 1.8m or something). In the same time period, the price of oil has gone up almost 400%. The idea that reduced postwar Iraqi oil supply somehow has increased the price of oil is belied by the fact that the price of oil has gone up as Iraqi exports have increased.

As for the reserves...what Booster said. I don't support releasing the strategic reserve or drilling "ANWAR" for the simple reason that releasing reserves just to provide price breaks to consumers is retarded. Someday, we'll really need that oil.

Further hypothetical, if Bush had instead focused on conservation and research after 9/11, instead of the Iraq war, it could have reduced demand. Tax credits for insulation, telecommuting for businesses, houses or even businesses getting off the grid through wind power or even solar (maybe depends on the battery disposal). Something along those lines would have decreased demand.

I call bull sh--. Why does everyone insist on pinning legislative failures on the White House? I don't think there's a single thing you mention there that "the President" could be ultimately reponsible for.

And I got a $200 federal tax credit in 2007 for improving the energy efficiency of my house (insulation and windows). I expect to get more when I put up solar panels. Not to mention the tax break I got a couple years ago for buying a Prius. Though they could do more, it's not like Congress is ignoring what you're suggesting.

I disagree with the reserve part as that really is a pittance overall compared to the market.

At the same time increasing supply and decreasing demand weakens the nations that supply oil. Is that a bad thing?

i find this to be very agreeable. And to answer Tom, GW was the party leader with the majority of both houses controlled by his party. He could have used his influence to put emphasis on such measures. Meanwhile the energy bills that went through could have been vetoed with explanation of progressive measures that would cut our reliance on foreign oil.

I fuggin hate election years! I swear we do more damage to our nation from all the free lunches handed out during these times. Folks, our day of reckoning is coming...we just keep putting it off and making it exponentially worse. The sooner we take our medicine, the sooner we'll (hopefully) be able to recover from this.

I don't care who gets elected, we've got a big schit sammich to eat and we can't leave the table until it's gone. Batten down the hatches, the storm is coming boys!

I was flipping channels the other night and saw a report on ABC Nightly News where they interview a twenty-one year old from different parts of the world to get their outlook on life, Well, they interviewed a Muslim girl from Egypt who must've been educated in the US at some point because of her English skills and US sounding accent, but when the reporter asked her how she feels about the US she said something that struck a chord with me. She compared the US to a 'jock'; Someone who is very athletic and powerful when they're young, getting by on looks and strength, but as they grow old their athletic skills diminish and they're left looking at past glory while life has passed them on. I found it to be a very interesting way to describe our country.

Alright, end of rant...

I fuggin hate election years! I swear we do more damage to our nation from all the free lunches handed out during these times. Folks, our day of reckoning is coming...we just keep putting it off and making it exponentially worse. The sooner we take our medicine, the sooner we'll (hopefully) be able to recover from this.

I don't care who gets elected, we've got a big schit sammich to eat and we can't leave the table until it's gone. Batten down the hatches, the storm is coming boys!

I was flipping channels the other night and saw a report on ABC Nightly News where they interview a twenty-one year old from different parts of the world to get their outlook on life, Well, they interviewed a Muslim girl from Egypt who must've been educated in the US at some point because of her English skills and US sounding accent, but when the reporter asked her how she feels about the US she said something that struck a chord with me. She compared the US to a 'jock'; Someone who is very athletic and powerful when they're young, getting by on looks and strength, but as they grow old their athletic skills diminish and they're left looking at past glory while life has passed them on. I found it to be a very interesting way to describe our country.

Alright, end of rant...

I am so sorry to say this - but I agree with you.

And you could ensure that no us citizens would die around the world at the hands of terrorists if we just pulled out of iraq. Noone will ever attack us again. No US citizen will ever be kidnapped/terrorized on a cruise ship, in an airplane, doing business in a foreign country or on vacation in the Philippines, Qatar, Saudi, Israel , etc....

If you could prove that could happen, surebring all the troops home, disband the military and have a hug a liberal day.

But guess what the world isn't a pretty Garden of Eden where everyone loves us. We pull out of Iraq and Afghan istan, gas prices will triple, our citizens will be terrorized even more both at home and abroad, and we may as well just name a united Iran/Iraq as the next Empire to control the world.

I hope you like wearing a Ferka (sp???) waling 3 feet behind your husband and don't mind being killed by him when he's through with you.

You really need to go fill that prescription. It's burka, by the way. You are truly a dumbass, which is why I'd blocked you for years. I guess our recent technical issues wiped that out. Too bad.

There is NOTHING, repeat NOTHING, that the US can do to make the world love us and to make terrorists not want to kill us. And if foreigners read drivel like the crap you post, that probably doesn't help. Substitute a few nouns here and there and you sound just like them, only Western.

Goodbye .... <block> :P

Solar- what happens on cloudy days? :P

Wind- Animal wackos want us to shut down turbines because a few birds are too stupid to avoid them. :wallbash:

Nukes- One nuke plant = Rhode Island covered with solar cells and the sun shining 24/7 We're all gonna fry! :thumbsup:

Coal- Harry Reid wants to stop building new coal plants and Bubba put the biggest low-sulfur coal deposit (Escalade Staircase NP) off limits so we would have to buy it from his Indonesian buddy Riaday <_<

What the hell do the libs suggest we use?

We'll run everything on the Smug from the libs!

Well, starting out with the fact that it only takes about 7 hours to make that drive(are you driving like a granny?), having done it myself too many times to count, I'd say there isn't much debate. I used to try to fly whenever possible(and that doesn't take 9 hours door to door unless you are walking to the airport - more like 4), but the driving it meant I could stop at my parents house.

Round trip occur to you?

You really need to go fill that prescription. It's burka, by the way. You are truly a dumbass, which is why I'd blocked you for years. I guess our recent technical issues wiped that out. Too bad.

There is NOTHING, repeat NOTHING, that the US can do to make the world love us and to make terrorists not want to kill us. And if foreigners read drivel like the crap you post, that probably doesn't help. Substitute a few nouns here and there and you sound just like them, only Western.

Goodbye .... <block> :P

Wow, I forgot one word. Although I was close.

I like your I'd rather stick my head in sand defense then face reality. And trust me foreigners would rather hear and see your drivel implemented because they know it would be far easier to have us lay back while they tear us down.

Welcome to your new world leader the Ayatolloh followed by his liberal lemmings.

Alright, end of rant...

:P Totally annoying!