McCain Calls For A Gas Tax 'Holiday'

As for the reserves...what Booster said. I don't support releasing the strategic reserve or drilling "ANWAR" for the simple reason that releasing reserves just to provide price breaks to consumers is retarded. Someday, we'll really need that oil.

Or come to the conclusion that since oil is in finite supply and it's so much cheaper than any other source right now rendering alternatives to the Walter Mitty sects, the sooner you run out, the sooner you brainiacs will come up with a viable alternative. Drill away, baby.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or come to the conclusion that since oil is in finite supply and it's so much cheaper than any other source right now rendering alternatives to the Walter Mitty sects, the sooner you run out, the sooner you brainiacs will come up with a viable alternative. Drill away, baby.

And make the middle east butcher irrelevant even quicker.

Unfortunately I'm rational, so that whole "Paint yourself into a corner" theory of resource management is alien to me. We should be looking for alternatives now, while we have the luxury.

Personally...I'm trying to find a way to run my car on Molson's inanity. Don't think we'll be exhausting that anytime soon...

Unfortunately I'm rational, so that whole "Paint yourself into a corner" theory of resource management is alien to me. We should be looking for alternatives now, while we have the luxury.

Personally...I'm trying to find a way to run my car on Molson's inanity. Don't think we'll be exhausting that anytime soon...

Maybe run it on your neurosis!

There you go again Tom. Being obsessed with a poster on the internet is just plain wierd.

Wow, I forgot one word. Although I was close.

I like your I'd rather stick my head in sand defense then face reality. And trust me foreigners would rather hear and see your drivel implemented because they know it would be far easier to have us lay back while they tear us down.

Welcome to your new world leader the Ayatolloh followed by his liberal lemmings.

Yeah right. What's it like to live your life afraid all the time? It woulda been tea and crumpets for us if the people of your mentality were in the majority in the 1770's. Why even your fearless leader sez "bring 'em on".

You empower our enemies with your fear. I boarded a jet the first available day after 9/11 ready to smack the sh-- out of anyone who was foolish enough to try anything - and I wasn't afraid. And I'm still not. If it's our freedom they hate, then exercising my freedom of speech just rubs their noses in it. While cowardice like yours plays right into their hands.

YOURS is the reaction they want. Divisive. Afraid. And of course le mot du jour: bitter.

"Obsessed"? You only exist when I'm bored, you self-centered infant.

Too funny! Well, you must be bored a lot, a real lot. Replying to most of my posts, making up fake posts and signing my name, bringing me up in all the time, discussing me with other posters and God knows what else. One wonders if you even have a life away from this board. And no, I'm not asking, I really don't want to know.

Too funny! Well, you must be bored a lot, a real lot. Replying to most of my posts, making up fake posts and signing my name, bringing me up in all the time, discussing me with other posters and God knows what else. One wonders if you even have a life away from this board. And no, I'm not asking, I really don't want to know.

What? :beer:

I don't think there's even a word that describes the level of unreality you reside in. Seriously.

Ya, maybe if I start making up posts and signing your name to them I'll really step up to reality!

:lol:

Yeah, I'm pretending to be you, to discredit your opinions. Because God knows, you don't do a fine job of that on your own.

But please...keep going. Your lunacy entertains the hell out of me. :beer:

But that is the rational outcome. We are looking at alternatives now, but considering oil's 150-yr lead time and vast distribution, it won't be easy to displace it, even after factoring in the huge cost advantage. One way to force the issue is to quintuple the taxes on petroleum products, but rational thought would ask why do that on a still abundant resource. Figure there's a 70-100 year supply remaining and serious alternatives will probably start emerging 25 years from now.

I think the effect of invading Iraq is overrated in the oil markets. Consider: Iraqi oil exports have increased since the invasion from 500k barrels a day (NYT, 7/16/03) to almost 2 million barrels a day (a recent BusinessWeek article - I believe the number was 1.8m or something). In the same time period, the price of oil has gone up almost 400%. The idea that reduced postwar Iraqi oil supply somehow has increased the price of oil is belied by the fact that the price of oil has gone up as Iraqi exports have increased.

As for the reserves...what Booster said. I don't support releasing the strategic reserve or drilling "ANWAR" for the simple reason that releasing reserves just to provide price breaks to consumers is retarded. Someday, we'll really need that oil.

I agree with you on the reserves part obviously. I think that "salting" some oil away for lean times is a good move. Did demand increase in the time the Iraqi oil production increased out of curiosity?

I call bull sh--. Why does everyone insist on pinning legislative failures on the White House? I don't think there's a single thing you mention there that "the President" could be ultimately reponsible for.

And I got a $200 federal tax credit in 2007 for improving the energy efficiency of my house (insulation and windows). I expect to get more when I put up solar panels. Not to mention the tax break I got a couple years ago for buying a Prius. Though they could do more, it's not like Congress is ignoring what you're suggesting.

I am not trying to pin anything on Bush. He has done a masterful job of assigning blame to himself in other areas. I was suggesting a course he could have taken that would, perhaps, have been more effective in hindsight. At the time of 9/11 this country would have agreed to just about anything he proposed. If that meant conserving energy, people would have gone for it. At least at first. I am unsure what that would mean for the economy to be honest.

Well, starting out with the fact that it only takes about 7 hours to make that drive(are you driving like a granny?), having done it myself too many times to count, I'd say there isn't much debate. I used to try to fly whenever possible(and that doesn't take 9 hours door to door unless you are walking to the airport - more like 4), but the driving it meant I could stop at my parents house.

So yeah, other than the goofy math you have here, it usually made sense for me to drive whenever I had an unplanned need to get to Buffalo from Philly $ wise. If only JetBlue would run flights direct...then you might only be looking at $150-200. Oh well.

Speakin' of Buffalo to Philly I just did the drive yesterday and have been in town two days and can't find the Johnny Cash bar on 2nd South of Market. The old city tavern was kinda corny but great George Washington porter. Killdares was ok before the game...now lookin' for somewhere to go afterward.