I'm looking for an "Expert's" opinion on how the

Back in the early 90's teams absolutely feared coming to Orchard Park. They feared the fans, they feared the weather they feared the team.......Team just didnt want to come to WNY to play football.

When I attend games, I actually see just as many fans for the other team then I do for the home team. To me thats very sad. Home field advantage is not what it used to be anymore for Bills games. When the other team scores I have to look up to make sure it wasnt the Bills making a play on the field. Opposing teams fans never came to our house for games, they were too scared to. Now its like nothing.......come and watch the game and go home.

So IMHO the fan base that used to attend Bills games is not what it used to be. I think it kinda hurts the team some what. I mean if you can get into the other teams head before the game even begins, you already have the advantage. Opposing teams are just not affraid to come here anymore.........

Back in the early 90's teams absolutely feared coming to Orchard Park. They feared the fans, they feared the weather they feared the team.......Team just didnt want to come to WNY to play football.

When I attend games, I actually see just as many fans for the other team then I do for the home team. To me thats very sad. Home field advantage is not what it used to be anymore for Bills games. When the other team scores I have to look up to make sure it wasnt the Bills making a play on the field. Opposing teams fans never came to our house for games, they were too scared to. Now its like nothing.......come and watch the game and go home.

So IMHO the fan base that used to attend Bills games is not what it used to be. I think it kinda hurts the team some what. I mean if you can get into the other teams head before the game even begins, you already have the advantage. Opposing teams are just not affraid to come here anymore.........

Tim Green wrote a book about playing for the Falcon's back then and he said going to Buffalo was the worst time he ever had. The fans would be rowdy as the team bus passed and during the game and the Bills would just kick the ever lovin :D out of them. He remembered how the Bills had a huge lead and two of the Bills OL's. I think one was Ritcher would keep throwing him on his ass. He finally asked for some mercy they were killing them anyway and the answer he got was: "No way coach would give us hell." :bag:

it's even sillier that some posters are calling out certain posters. why don't they delete this thread like they do with others?

Calm down, we're only breaking some balls. If you check out any of ExpertOpinion's posts you'll realize that he chronicly changes quotes on his replies. It's all in good fun.

I'd prefer seeing the Bills become DOMINANT again, but thats just me.

Oops, did I misspell that?

I have to agree. I remember when I went to a home game against the Bengals the year after they eliminated us in the AFC Conference title game and just before kick-off their two returners were trying to incite the crowd. The whole section just about converged on them and you could actually see them get unnerved. Needless to say that we promptly went on to thump them. Ah, the good old days!

Find a top caliber QB(hopefully already found).......while doing that, keep strengthening the lines.

Fill in the gaps at other positions as needed.

What he said. I'll add a little more though. I'm no expert, just my opinion on the matter. Although I think you do it the other way around. Fill in your lines first before deciding on a qb. Depending on the kind of offense you wanna run. Quicker more athletic linemen, for a pass based offense. Big brutes for a power running offense. If you want a pass based offense. You need a variety of faster wr's. Not just straight line speed, but those who are quick intially, as well as posessions good field vision to get the all important yards after catch. I like Lee Evans a lot, but he's more of a straight line speed deep threat, then a guy who can catch a screen or quick slant, and run for additional yardage. He's no Andre Reed, or even Eric Moulds, when Moulds was younger. If you want a power based offense. You should put a higher priority on blocking more physical wideouts.

Size probably isn't a necessity, but ability and willingness to engage a defender, in the run game. Guards who have size, but also the agilty to pull out, and who finish blocks. Still posessing your traditional lt who protects the qb's blind side, and is better suited as a pass blocker. A center with intelligence who doesn't get killed in the run game. Your interior linemen, should posess the abilty to push the pile. Where as in a pass based offense. Your linemen should be quality run blockers, however probably a little quicker and lighter. Although if you can get big and quick by all means go for it. A Tight end probably pays more dividends, in a run oriented offense. Where you can exploit match problems especially in short yardage and the redzone. The ability to take some of the heat off your more physical wideouts, by keeping the seems honest.

Defensively it remains the same imo. The quickes, and most efficent way to build a defense. Is multiple high picks, almost yearly dedicated to your dline. You start with interior players. Depending on the kind of dt's you like. Me I'm more of a fan of the huge dt's. Like offensive linemen. If your dt's are big and can create havock, by all means go for it. I'll take the Ted washingtons of the world anyday though, over the smaller quicker dt's. Whatever's easier to find, adjust accordingly. You sprinkle in pass rushers. I think your typical pass rushing end is easier to find then a franchise caliber end. Pass rushers liter the league, and can be had in many rounds.

If you're looking for a top tier end. You're looking for different attributes in that player. How's their inital quickness? Can they explode off the snap, or do they get engaged quickly? If they lack inital quickness, do they make up for with good technique. Are they a plodding sort of fellow, who gets by with a bull rush. Are they good with the swim move, how well can they use their hands? How often do they maintain gap control. A good dend isn't just looking to rush upfield. They always have to be aware of the possibilty of cutback lanes, counters, and the reverse. Most importantly. How good is their closing burst. I think this is the most important aspect, of any good defensive end. The ability to close on a quarterback quickly, can be the difference, between a completed 3rd down pass, a sack, or a hurried throw leading to an interception. A quick closing burst, also can help in chasing down a running back, when he has the ground, for a long run outside the lanes.

Most importantly you fill in your dline with quality depth players. Players who need be, can start games, and you won't miss much. Dedicate with plenty of high end picks. As far as lb's go, if you're sitting in the first, and theres a can't miss pro bowl quality lb, it's ok to grab him. I'm not really a fan, of dedicating high picks to lbs, because It's a position you can fill in later rounds. 2nd-5th. To me I think the 2 biggest aspects to solid lb play. Is 1. Their coverage skills. This is a fas evolving games, where rb's and te's are constantly used as secondary receiving options. As well as receivers who come across the middle on short slants. Can they maintain ground, close on the ball quickly, read the qb, as well as break on the intended target. Not many lb's, come into the pros with the ability to be a good coverage backer. 2. Are they a hitter or wrap up tackler. A lot of guys, coming into the pros, look for that espn "Jacked up" Hit. If you can't learn to hit number level, wrap and drive you have no business being a lb. It's easier to teach, then being good in coverage, but it's an often overlooked aspect, and a real detriment to run defense.

Secondary. Honestly I'm not as intune with secondary play, as I am with front 7 players. However if I'm building a team I want a physical secondary, willing to punish receivers. The nfl caters too heavily to offensive football, and I'm strictly a fan of d. So I enjoy the heck out of it, when receivers are just afraid of catching passes. The aspect of corner play I'd value most, is can they jam receivers at the los, throwing off the timing. It makes the qb hold the ball longer, enabling your pass rush to be more active. If they misjudge the jam, do they have the agility to recover on their mistake, without getting burned. Smart but agressive corners, with good quickness. I value that more then speedy ballhawks. My safeties I want quick closing types, who don't kill you coverage, but also are willing to lay out someone over the middle. The activeness, and range of a corner, with the mindset of a lb.

I dont know what he had in college but in the pro's he is a stand in the pocket QB who doesn't throw bombs on every other play....which means he needs to work the intermediate level of the field.....

That is Tight End territory.....we also need to get Marshawn Lynch much more involved in the passing game....it seems to me that we couldn't do this because other teams game planned for it too much.

That means lack of offensive weapons...if we had a big stud TE catching balls this would free up lynch out of the backfield.

Not to make this a QB thing at all, but do you think that because of the potentially differing strengths of last year's starter and this year's starter, that the Bills might try to revampt the WR corps. It seems like with JP going into last season, they were content to have the more staight-line speed guys who could just go deep because the conventional wisdom at the time said that's what JP could do and did best. I wonder if more of a premium will be put on bigger receving targets with TE expected to start the season, since he likes to work the intermediate level of the field, as you say, and that really calls for a different pass-catcher.

We need to fortify both the offensive and defensive lines. I think Peters, Dockery and Butler are fine, but Fowler needs to be replaced. He has bounced from team to team for a reason. He remains in the league, because he really has football smarts and a great head for the game. Physically, he doesn't cut it though. Walker isn't physical enough either. He is an adequate pass blocker but soft in drive blocking.

Our defensive line still is nowhere near good enough. If our standards are where they should be, Schobel is a pro bowl #2 DE. He is a very good football player, and anyone who thinks otherwise is nuts. WE have been without a hall of famer like Bruce Smith for so long that people have lowered their standards. We also need to upgrade DT. Stroud is a solid starter, but needs to show he is still a pro bowler. Johnson is good for depth, and we aren't sure where McCargo fits yet. If Ellis or Dorsey fell to us, we'd be nuts not to take them.

Second- stick with Edwards. I would prefer that he hadn't been starting yet. Look how Jacksonville brought their QB along- thats how you do it. We threw JP Losman in way too soon, and did the same with Trent Edwards. If we are going with him, he gets a good five years to develop

Purely a non-expert opinion, but I would start by hiring a new head coach. One that has a mindset of winning games from the moment the ball is kicked until the last second has run off the clock. One that teaches his players to dominate the opponent. One that goes after the other team from snap to whistle. One that is willing to take some risks.

He does, but he gets ripped apart by the same people wanting him to take risks and "go for the jugular", or do you not remember the less then conservative throw to the endzone that would have finished the Cowboys game?