Go ahead, mock my Bills draft

Brandon

Not that anyone really cares, but I'll probably do another one of these essentially as a prediction just before the draft to see how wrong I am. I might

do another one in between if I get really bored.

1) WR Limas Sweed, Texas

Given the thinning of the WR field as of late, the Bills need at the position, and the simple fact that Sweed is just a very good overall prospect, I think that this pick makes the most sense of all the alternatives. He's big at 6'4" 210lbs, plays a tough, physical game, and has managed to quiet the skeptics somewhat by running in the high 4.4s this offseason. Sweed also has the reputation of being a very high character, hard working player such as the Bills covet on draft day. He's a little overaged and will turn 24 later this year and there are still lingering concerns over his wrist as well as his ability to consistently separate from pro CBs, but overall, I think that the combination of physical talent, intangibles and team need make this a very likely pick for the Bills at 11 or possibly if they trade down a few spots. In addition, he also provides the Bills with an excellent insurance policy and leverage should Lee Evans choose to test the waters in free agency. Devin Thomas of Michigan State is also an option here, but I feel that the Bills will opt for the proven, experienced player instead.

2) CB Antoine Cason, Arizona

Like Sweed, Cason fills a significant void on the roster while also providing the team with a top quality athlete for the position. After starting 46 consecutive games for Arizona, Cason would seem to be capable of starting immediately and his skillset seems well suited to this defense, an excellent zone CB with the ability and willingness to support the run. As an added bonus, he has intercepted 15 passes in his career, something that has often been missing in Bills defenses of the last several years. The only downside to this pick is that the Bills may have to trade up to get him.

3) DE Jason Jones, Eastern Michigan

I was very impressed with Jones while watching the Senior Bowl. He didn't have a particularly good game, mind you, but you can see that the athleticism is there. He is extremely quick off the ball. He just needs coaching and some work in an NFL strength program. He's a project, but 2-3 years down the line, I think that he'll be a very good LDE for some team. Its notable that Jones has also played DT in college, versatility that will serve him well in the NFL.

4) TE Jermichael Finley, Texas

I don't know if the Bills will consider two players from the University of Texas, especially both on offense, and I didn't plan it like this, but I really like Finley. He's probably not going to block anyone, at least not until he also gets some coaching and strength training, but he has outstanding hands and athleticism as well as pretty good pure speed. I think he'd be an excellent addition as a receiving TE in this offense. It may be a little late for Finley, but I believe that there will be a reasonably good TE prospect still available. I'd also strongly consider drafting this position as high as round 2, even if the Bills draft a WR in R1. That won't make the 'draft defense' guys happy, I know.

4) WR Keenan Burton, Kentucky

Another WR, but this time as a backup and potential direct replacement for Lee Evans.

5) OL Jeremy Zuttah, Rutgers

The Bills need quality depth on their OL and Zuttah is a prospect at any position up front, though most scouting reports seem to indicate his best position is center or guard.

6) WR Todd Blythe, Iowa State

Yet another WR? Yes. This one is Sweed's backup and a failsafe should Sweed struggle. I think that WR is going to get a major overhaul a couple of weeks from now...

7) FB Jehuu Caulcrick, Michigan State

I know everyone loves Owen Schmitt, I just don't love the high price tag. The Bills are known to have interviewed Caulcrick, so I suppose its as good a bet as any.

7) QB Matt Flynn, LSU

They'll probably draft a backup QB in the last three rounds. You're guess is as good as mine which one.

7) CB Wilrey Fontenot, Arizona

Cason's Arizona teammate. He'll probably never be a starter, but he does have a lot of experience and seems to have good athletic ability. In any event,

expect at least two CBs out of this draft.

I applaud your effort. it's a ton of work pouring over all of the possibilities. Once it gets past the 3rd rd it gets so confusing. It's hard just to pick the first rder as far as that goes. I really do think that we take DE Derrick Harvey if he's still available but if not I'm starting to believe that we will go CB. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is making more sense now that I'm thinking about it simply because of the Randy Moss factor.

I applaud your effort. it's a ton of work pouring over all of the possibilities. Once it gets past the 3rd rd it gets so confusing. It's hard just to pick the first rder as far as that goes. I really do think that we take DE Derrick Harvey if he's still available but if not I'm starting to believe that we will go CB. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is making more sense now that I'm thinking about it simply because of the Randy Moss factor.

I've been leaning slightly towards CB through the last few weeks, but I think I made up my mind today. I think I'm pretty much sold on Sweed being the best choice. Mel Kiper may rate a few guys higher, but I think he's exactly the type of player they're looking for at that #2 spot, brings a tough, hardworking attitude that's rare at the position, and doesn't bring any off-the-field issues whatsoever.

I could live with the CB pick, heck, I'm very high on Rogers-Cromartie and I think his upside may be a little higher. I just think Sweed makes them a better overall team.

Not bad. I could get on board with this mock.

I really like Cason, especially at pick number 41.

But I would wanna go TE in round three and the FB has to be Owen Schmitt.

I wouldn't be suprised at all to see them pick a TE at 41. I think its the biggest need on the team, but I'm not convinced that they do and that's part of the reason I waited until R4.

As for Schmitt, I just can't get on board with a blocking FB before R6. I think he'll probably go sometime in R4.

7) FB Jehuu Caulcrick, Michigan State

I know everyone loves Owen Schmitt, I just don't love the high price tag. The Bills are known to have interviewed Caulcrick, so I suppose its as good a bet as any.

Local angle adds a nice touch too.

Zuttah won't make it past the 3rd rd..........I prefer Devin Thomas to Sweed. Good effort <_<

I may indeed have Zuttah underrated. Admittedly, I have not bothered researching OL much in this draft as I don't think they'll take one in the first few rounds.

I really like it, except Im not sold on Sweed in Round One. I would think maybe CB in 1 and WR in 2 - I think Thomas, Sweed, or Kelly, or maybe 2 out of 3 will be available in the 2nd. Love the 3rd round pick of Jason Jones and it's no secret the Bills like him too.

The Blythe pick is a very interesting one and a player not many people have discussed. He was dominant 2 years ago but played on a very poor team this year. He always reminded me of Ed McCaffrey with his size and catching ability (and that he's a big white dude).

Nice mock.

1. Limas Sweed - I'm torn between Devin Thomas and Limas Sweed at this point and I wonder if #11 is too high for either of them.

2. Antoine Cason - I love this selection and I think he'll be a great addition for us.

3. Jason Jones - I don't know much about this kid. Not a bad spot to pick up DE depth/talent. A few people are sold on taking a TE here but I disagree.

4. Jermichael Finley - Solid pick. I think round 4 is where we should address the TE position.

5 - 7. it's anyone's guess at this point. A good FB would be nice and I agree that we need OL/QB depth but we don't need to address the WR/CB postion any more if we do so in the first 3 rounds.