ESPN Scouts, Inc. article on Bills 08 Draft

I think a big part of that stat has something to do with us not getting anywhere near the QB. So I'll take that stat and say that Harvey is the best fit for us. If the QB has only 3 sec. to throw and not 6 or 7 then we will cut down those 20 yard receptions.

I agree. I think they're still bad.

How do you account for 3rd and short conversions?

I completely disagree with the article. I feel that there are much worse needs than cb. I think that at#11, cb might be the best player available in the draft... I feel that McGee is a legit #1, that Greer is a legit#2/3, think that James is a legit #2/3, and Youboty is the young guy that could steal any one of their positions based on athletism. I mean, why are they are assuming that the Bills have a BIG need at cb? If they had done better research they would have at least considered how well Greer played, and that the Bills already have a tremendously talented unproven young cb who has shown promise and is truely a victim of a very unfortunate death to his mother that stunted his developement. He has no other mature family and a younger sibling. I have a strong feeling that the kindness of Dick Jauron had everything to do with him missing most of his rookie year. I know what kind of guy Dick is. Think of him as a 2nd year player that slipped out of the first rd. He was a junior when drafted, and is foreign. He is at offseason workouts and is one of the few players who is sticking sround for good this offseason. My guess is now that his siblings are out of high school, he is going to repay coach Jauron with a commitment level to this team that will make all of us fans proud. I think that it would be a big mistake to draft anything but some late round depth in the secondary. With that being said, I will really like whoever the Bills pick. I'm a fan :unsure:

We have to play Tom Brady and Randy Moss twice a year for atleast the next three years, we need a stud in our secondary.

I agree. I think they're still bad.

How do you account for 3rd and short conversions?

I agree with you as well I just think our priorities are different. I think Harvey will be a better DE then Jenkins, Talib, DRC or Mckelvin will be CBs. For me that last sentence is what it all boils down to.

We need a CB but you can get an adequate one in the 3rd, Mcgee was a 4th rounder in fact.

You would be in the small minority who feel that way.

The secondary was bad last year, and probably the weakest unit on the team right now, other than receivers. They gave up

more 20 + yard receptions than any other team in the league!

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?arc...amp;Submit=Find

I would like to see how well the secondary we have would do with a improved pass rush......which is why I am warming to Harvey with the 11th pick....

James was awesome prior to injury......Greer was very good....McGee is a playmaker

I agree with you as well I just think our priorities are different. I think Harvey will be a better DE then Jenkins, Talib, DRC or Mckelvin will be CBs. For me that last sentence is what it all boils down to.

We need a CB but you can get an adequate one in the 3rd, Mcgee was a 4th rounder in fact.

If they can get a stud like Harvey, then get him, period. The problem is if they do that, that's basically admitting Marv scr**ed the pooch

on the Kelsay||Schobel contracts IMHO. How could the possibly spin that. I'm not saying I have a problem with, I just think the Bills "hydra" GM may.

Draft a receiver in 2nd, unless someone drops to the Bills.

Thanks for asking.

1. I think the pass rush was horrible, very little preasure. QBs had all day to throw. Beginning of the problem.

Agreed, I think that should be solved with the addition of Stroud and Johnson. The real problem with the rush was that we had horrible push up the middle. Now, they have Stroud, McCargo, Johnson, and Williams which if rotated correctly can be very disruptive.

2. The CBs gave up too many yards and too many completions.

As a season ticket holder and avid tape watcher I'll disagree with you on this one. I think that the cbs played very solid technique and gave up what the defense allowed for. It seemed to me that they gave up a lot of screen plays when backed 10 yds off the line, but they tackled well. It seemed like they played the sidelines well.

3. Greer wouldn't have even been out there had not Webster gone down

That really doesn't matter. What matters is that Greer played very very good last year. There is a lot of good athletes in back up situations. Greer is an undrafted free agent that worked his butt off, bulked up, studied hard, and took advantage of his opportunity. I respect that.

4. Youboty has been a zero. No excuses, sorry. I can't imagine an NFL team counting on him at this point.

Youboty had an interception off of McNabb in week 17 and played well. I watch him everytime he steps on the field at home. He is a secret, I'll tell you why. He doesn't blow coverages. Also, he is tremendously athletic, and I'm willing to give a foreign born NFL player that came out of college early a little bit of time to develope.

5. I've never seen a team give up more '3rd and long' plays than last year. Maybe it's just me.

Agreed, It was very saddening... Although it was more likely to happen because of a missed assignment than the cbs inability to hang with the wr.

They got burned short, they got burned long, they got burned on 3rd, they got burned all day.

They got burned short, they got burned short, they got burnt short all day. When there was a missed tackle, it went for 20.

I know the D-line was bad, but I don't recall them getting many coverage sacks either.

agreed

Interesting.

Is there any place to purchase NFL game films after the season is over?

Not that I know of. But I have my honey tape the home games because I miss the main stuff a lot at the games. I like to watch the young guys and miss out on some stuff. I know, its kinda a loser thing to do. lol! But Its better than crack... lol! I really respect everybodies opinion, its just that I'm seeing things from a different perspective and I feel that maybe I can help people see things through that perspective also. That is why I read the board, to get more knowledge and see your perspective. Maybe everything you say is 100% correct, I'm just trying to get everybody to think outside the box a little. Thats what I'm here for... My role on this board is to try and stay open, and try to be indifferent about strong opinions.

Did anyone actually see Greer play last year? He was better than McGee

I suspect they think he's a 'one year wonder' stop gap at best. He didn't provide enough in run support, which is a big part of the Tampa 2 scheme.

Uhhh, Mort said we need to fill the void left by Kevin Everett.

Are there any disappointing TE prospects available at 11?

No disrespect to Kevin, but he was a non factor at the tight end position.

All hatred of Mort aside, I think he's more or less correct. While Everett hadn't proven anything on the field, I think the Bills were planning on giving him many more opportunities this past season and were in many ways relying on him to step up at the position and provide the QBs with a much-needed target over the middle. They had all their eggs in one basket and when he got hurt, that was pretty much it for the passing attack.

I think a big part of that stat has something to do with us not getting anywhere near the QB. So I'll take that stat and say that Harvey is the best fit for us. If the QB has only 3 sec. to throw and not 6 or 7 then we will cut down those 20 yard receptions.

True, I also think there will be a good corner available in the second or third round. A receiver is a must in the first or second round. With McCargo, Spenceer, Stroud, Schobel, Denney/Kelsay the Bills have a solid enough line to warrant a third round pick for a DE/DT. Jason Jones would be a great pick by Buffalo. I'd love to see them get that kid.

He was just about tapping his talent after some injuries the past two years. I think he would have been better than solid last year.

At least Mort didn't start foaming at the mouth when talking about Buffalo.

until the bills bone up their front seven, i don't care if jesus christ lines up at CB... he's going to get toasted unless the Bills can put he heat on the QB.

Bills have 5 LBs... 3 starters a competent backup in the middle, then Ellison. That's scary. If Stroud goes down, or gets busted for roids again, we're back to where we were last season. So... a competent OLB and a DT, to be heir to Stroud, better be in the bills crosshairs or it is going to be another long season on the same freakin traedmill

would that be the treadmill to nowhere?

a destination achieved by continually ignoring the OL and front 7 on defense

would that be the treadmill to nowhere?

a destination achieved by continually ignoring the OL and front 7 on defense

lets see - 3 FA acquisitions this off season for the front 7 - 2 expected to start, and one majorly contribute - plus our 2nd round mlb who missed basically the whole season is returning to start.

Last season - 3 FA acquisitions for the OL - our sacks allowed is the lowest in franchise history.

lets see - 3 FA acquisitions this off season for the front 7 - 2 expected to start, and one majorly contribute - plus our 2nd round mlb who missed basically the whole season is returning to start.

Last season - 3 FA acquisitions for the OL - our sacks allowed is the lowest in franchise history.

Yep, the treadmill to nowhere alright. :unsure: Maybe if they made some significant signings recently then it could be considered a different story. Why do they stand pat every year?!!

What are you going to say if the Bills make the playoffs this year. You'll have to get off the treadmill to the same comments. rolleyes.gif

Well, I guess I would, now, wouldn't I? That is just incredible logic on your part. :cry:

And... again .... if they don't? Well, wouldn't that make them on the same treadmill? :w00t: You can bet I'll probably repeat the same treadmill comments, then. And they'd be valid.

Anyone that thinks the Bills defense will jump from 31st to a top 10 or 12 with simply the return of POZ and KO plus the addition of Stroud & Mitchell is smokin some real good schitt. And the Bills O ain't gonna step it up enough to compensate for any defensive shortfalls. Same HC, same MO.

Well, I guess I would, now, wouldn't I? That is just incredible logic on your part. <_<

And... again .... if they don't? Well, wouldn't that make them on the same treadmill? <_< You can bet I'll probably repeat the same treadmill comments, then. And they'd be valid.

Anyone that thinks the Bills defense will jump from 31st to a top 10 or 12 with simply the return of POZ and KO plus the addition of Stroud & Mitchell is smokin some real good schitt. And the Bills O ain't gonna step it up enough to compensate for any defensive shortfalls. Same HC, same MO.

Yeah, I know because the team is returning two starters and various backups to the lineup healthy again and signing two defensive FA's and trading for a pro bowl DT and have yet to draft anyone I can see how you'd be skeptical. What do you feel would have been a productive offseason for Buffalo. I'm betting you can't answer that while fitting everything under the cap or assuming some absurd trades.

Considering the Bills have far more needs than premium picks, I think the first pick will dictate the next two.

If Harvey is there and they have him rated as high as many do, you take him and then I think you must think seriously about holding off until round 3 for a CB. There should be a quality TE or receiver around with the 41 st pick but I think it would be risky to wait until the third in hopes of hitting it big at WR/TE.

In the third round, someone like Charle Godfrey (I don't know if he is projected to still be there) would be nice. Otherwise, Brandon Flowers or Antoine Cason could be taken in the second round. Unfortunately,on day one, if we went Harvey/Merling in rd. 1 and Flowers/Cason/Porter in rd. 2 people would flip that we didn't get some offense (And I wouldn't blame 'em at all).

There are upgrades needed at several positions and I wouldn't want the task of trying to meet those needs, while staying true to your board.

Obviously a very important draft