Talk show host suspended (fired?) by Air America radio

So CC should be given kudos and lavished with free speech praise because they hired Rhodes back. They certainly don't deserve the criticism they get from many on the left since they are taking a chance on Rhodes...and in the San Francisco market yet!

Got it! <_<

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From an African American/minority perspective and experience the Rehnquist/Roberts supreme court is seen as rolling back many of the gains made in the sixties and seventies. For Wright to protest the court in a sermon might be seen as offensive to you or say DC Tom or Fox News viewers but it is hardly a stretch when taken in context for the people that Wright was preaching to.
And calling it the "Klan court"? That was appropriate? Please explain why we have a "closeted Klan court" or how the United States Supreme Court is like the Ku Klux Klan in any way. Thanks.

You still have plenty of other quotes from that sermon to explain, BTW.

So CC should be given kudos and lavished with free speech praise because they hired Rhodes back. They certainly don't deserve the criticism they get from many on the left since they are taking a chance on Rhodes...and in the San Francisco market yet!

Got it! <_<

Holy shiit!! <_<

Pretty simple really. I dont like your politics. You dont like mine. Therefore there's a really really good chance you might not see Irony, in the same places I do. And for the same reasons I do.

:unsure:

Well I never doubted that for a second.

Nice of you to only hear one side of saint Obama's message. Keep droning the white guilt-ridden diatribes, while ignoring the other elephant in the room.

And calling it the "Klan court"? That was appropriate? Please explain why we have a "closeted Klan court" or how the United States Supreme Court is like the Ku Klux Klan in any way. Thanks.

You still have plenty of other quotes from that sermon to explain, BTW.

UGH! <_< It's a sermon! Expressing disdain from the pulpit as some preachers are wont to do. It is taken from the black experience. Many thought the 2000 election was stolen by the Supreme Court.

I don't expect you to agree with this but I do expect you to understand from a different perspective before we move on.

Quid pro quo. McCain's "spiritual guide" Rod Parsley, who McCain has yet to denounce or Fox News has yet to put on a tape loop 24/7, has called for the destruction of Islam (just the world's biggest religion) by Christians, has compared Planned Parenthood to Nazis, wants to prosecute people who commit adultry, whose church has violated its tax exempt status while financially supporting Republican candidates, who has made a litany of anti-gay statements etc etc etc etc.....

So let's hear it. I know McCain won't say anything because he needs this whack job's support in the key battleground state of Ohio but you have the chance to denounce or explain the nasty underside of christian conservative politics.

Hagee or Parsley?

"White"?

Have you ever heard the old saying about assumptions?

Riiight. And you bring them up because I've been consistently been defending fundamentalist Christian leaders and their message? Or because you want to deflect your defense of Wright?

Riiight. And you bring them up because I've been consistently been defending fundamentalist Christian leaders and their message? Or because you want to deflect your defense of Wright?

I want somebody out there to tell me why McCain gets a free pass for the two screwballs whose support he has OPENLY sought while Obama has been nailed to the cross for his defense (and yes refutation of his words) of Wright?

Can you say "double standard" children?

Besides, most have moved on (with the exception of the hardcore far right) over the Wright nonsense otherwise Obama would have sunk like a stone.

Get over it.

I want somebody out there to tell me why McCain gets a free pass for the two screwballs whose support he has OPENLY sought while Obama has been nailed to the cross for his defense (and yes refutation of his words) of Wright?

Can you say "double standard" children?

Besides, most have moved on (with the exception of the hardcore far right) over the Wright nonsense otherwise Obama would have sunk like a stone.

Get over it.

Except the question was posed to you and not to Obama.

Among the ultra patriotic flag lapel pin "love it ot leave it" crowd there is this utter shock over what Wright said from the pulpit, as if what he was saying was completely foreign to any idea or notion they've ever had about the country, completely dismissing the fact that this country has had a few shall we say moments where genocide was permissable, denial of civil rights was permissable, forced relocation was permissable etc etc etc.

So when Wright speaks to these things the self righteous indignation from the cons comes fast and furious.

As if Wright is the only one thinking or saying these things that so hurt their delicate suburban sensibilities.

Among the ultra patriotic flag lapel pin "love it ot leave it" crowd there is this utter shock over what Wright said from the pulpit, as if what he was saying was completely foreign to any idea or notion they've ever had about the country, completely dismissing the fact that this country has had a few shall we say moments where genocide was permissable, denial of civil rights was permissable, forced relocation was permissable etc etc etc.

So when Wright speaks to these things the self righteous indignation from the cons comes fast and furious.

As if Wright is the only one thinking or saying these things that so hurt their delicate suburban sensibilities.

<_<

When backed into a corner based completely on one's own naivete, play the "you're all just too sensitive" card.

Awesome. Pathetic, yet awesome.

<_<

When backed into a corner based completely on one's own naivete, play the "you're all just too sensitive" card.

Awesome. Pathetic, yet awesome.

"Backed into a corner"?

Over what?

Who's naive? Those who dismiss out of hand the things Wright said, pretending instead that this country's history with all of its racism, sexism whatever never existed?

Man you are an idiot.

Bob & weave. Bob & weave.

Can't tell you about the self righteous indignation from all the "cons" but from this end, it's the mind blathering bluster that cavalierly gives Wright a pass. Gee, I wonder why Obama's speech will be thrown into the dust bin, instead of treated as an opening to an intelligent dialogue. You see, many people recognize the faulty history of the US, just like there are injustices in every imaginable society in human history. Yet, the ugly history has not held back people willing to rise above it and take advantage of the opportunity. You should remember history, yet you shouldn't use it as a crutch to explain away your lot in life, especially when the institutions that held you back are gone. Discussing that topic has been taboo, and Obama oopened it up, only to get it shut again, because it's still a hell of a lot easier to blame the USA, instead of focusing on individual achievements and faults.

That's why you will remain a caricature.

"Backed into a corner"?

Over what?

Over the fact that you claimed Rev. Wright's statements are only offensive "out of context" but have yet to provide any "acceptable" context for any of the ridiculous statements that I cited (still just from that one sermon, BTW).

So far all you've done is attempt to change the subject to literally anything else, and then insist that this is a special situation because (1) it's a sermon and (2) it's the black community and it's impossible to understand.

So if it's a sermon at a black church, it's OK to go on a paranoid, racist rant? (Interesting opinion you have of black people, BTW.) Including the assertion that the government creating HIV to commit genocide against "people of color"? "God Damn America!"? Specifically address the quotes I cited and explain their proper context.

Over the fact that you claimed Rev. Wright's statements are only offensive "out of context" but have yet to provide any "acceptable" context for any of the ridiculous statements that I cited (still just from that one sermon, BTW).

So far all you've done is attempt to change the subject to literally anything else, and then insist that this is a special situation because (1) it's a sermon and (2) it's the black community and it's impossible to understand.

So if it's a sermon at a black church, it's OK to go on a paranoid, racist rant? (Interesting opinion you have of black people, BTW.) Including the assertion that the government creating HIV to commit genocide against "people of color"? "God Damn America!"? Specifically address the quotes I cited and explain their proper context.

I am with him on this one. Could you perhaps explain this one at the very least. My request and agreement with SNR has nothing to do with the fact that he is going to become a serial killer of TBD posters shortly.

"This shovel isn't digging fast enough, let me rent a back hoe." :D

The irony of this is that you're completely missing the context of Wright's sermon. :bag:

I am with him on this one. Could you perhaps explain this one at the very least. My request and agreement with SNR has nothing to do with the fact that he is going to become a serial killer of TBD posters shortly.

It's actually a rather common belief in the black community. Ref. Laurie Garrett's The Coming Plague (which is a very good read). I don't have it in front of me so I can't quote exactly...but she references a survey done in black communities in the early '90s that showed a surprising number of blacks believed there was "some truth" to the idea that the US government engineered HIV as a genocidal campaign against black America.

That is probably the least questionable of statements in Wright's sermon that I see, simply because it's common enough that half his audience believed it before he even mentioned it.

It's actually a rather common belief in the black community. Ref. Laurie Garrett's The Coming Plague (which is a very good read). I don't have it in front of me so I can't quote exactly...but she references a survey done in black communities in the early '90s that showed a surprising number of blacks believed there was "some truth" to the idea that the US government engineered HIV as a genocidal campaign against black America.

I could have sworn it was to wipe out the gay population. These conspiracy theories are so hard to keep track of.