Talk show host suspended (fired?) by Air America radio

It's actually a rather common belief in the black community. Ref. Laurie Garrett's The Coming Plague (which is a very good read). I don't have it in front of me so I can't quote exactly...but she references a survey done in black communities in the early '90s that showed a surprising number of blacks believed there was "some truth" to the idea that the US government engineered HIV as a genocidal campaign against black America.

That is probably the least questionable of statements in Wright's sermon that I see, simply because it's common enough that half his audience believed it before he even mentioned it.

I would argue that makes it all the more egregious. The guy is supposed to be a leader in his community and he's playing to their ignorance.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would argue that makes it all the more egregious. The guy is supposed to be a leader in his community and he's playing to their ignorance.

The presumption there being that he doesn't share their ignorance. Just because he's a leader doesn't make him any less an idiot.

The presumption there being that he doesn't share their ignorance. Just because he's a leader doesn't make him any less an idiot.

One could argue quite convincingly that "leaders" are often the biggest of the idiots.

I have still yet to hear any comment whatsoever on Parsley or Hagee, McCain's spiritual advisors whose campaign actively sought their endorsements. They have said things far more frightening racist and bigoted than anything Wright has said,

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...mp;search_type=

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...mp;search_type=

Somehow I doubt very much I'm going to here.

Bob & weave. Bob & weave.

Can't tell you about the self righteous indignation from all the "cons" but from this end, it's the mind blathering bluster that cavalierly gives Wright a pass. Gee, I wonder why Obama's speech will be thrown into the dust bin, instead of treated as an opening to an intelligent dialogue. You see, many people recognize the faulty history of the US, just like there are injustices in every imaginable society in human history. Yet, the ugly history has not held back people willing to rise above it and take advantage of the opportunity. You should remember history, yet you shouldn't use it as a crutch to explain away your lot in life, especially when the institutions that held you back are gone. Discussing that topic has been taboo, and Obama oopened it up, only to get it shut again, because it's still a hell of a lot easier to blame the USA, instead of focusing on individual achievements and faults.

That's why you will remain a caricature.

"Obama's speech...dust bin"

According to whom? You?!? :D

As for the rest of your touchingly cliched, condescending Horatio Alger inspired boot strap conservative claptrap all I can do is laugh.

Now who's being the caricature?

Over the fact that you claimed Rev. Wright's statements are only offensive "out of context" but have yet to provide any "acceptable" context for any of the ridiculous statements that I cited (still just from that one sermon, BTW).

So far all you've done is attempt to change the subject to literally anything else, and then insist that this is a special situation because (1) it's a sermon and (2) it's the black community and it's impossible to understand.

So if it's a sermon at a black church, it's OK to go on a paranoid, racist rant? (Interesting opinion you have of black people, BTW.) Including the assertion that the government creating HIV to commit genocide against "people of color"? "God Damn America!"? Specifically address the quotes I cited and explain their proper context.

It's not impossible to understand, it is your refusal to understand.

Still waiting for any comment on Parsley or Hagee.

...and waiting...and waiting...and waiting.

So now we've officially moved onto the next page in the liberal playbook...

Actually that would be the "conservative playbook".

"So if it's a sermon at a black church, it's OK to go on a paranoid, racist rant? (Interesting opinion you have of black people, BTW.)"

Silver and Red

Yesterday 5:21 PM

"Obama's speech...dust bin"

According to whom? You?!? :pirate:

As for the rest of your touchingly cliched, condescending Horatio Alger inspired boot strap conservative claptrap all I can do is laugh.

Now who's being the caricature?

Keep laughing in your comic strip.

The speech is in the dustbin thanks to Joe Pastas who are more than pleased to let this play our to save the last hope of their candidate and to one-way streeters like you who ignore the second part of the speech - that a good number of this white America that you hate have ancestors who were not even in the country when slavery existed and are miffed to be included in a general anti-white screed. And if color is the only thing that matters, please explain how Indian & Asian immigrants occupy many layers of science and medicine, while Hispanics are making greater ecomic strides than US-born blacks. At some point you have to start looking inward at the black American culture and ask how much is it contributing to its lesser economic status in the country?

Obama started talking about it, but thanks to your 8 track tape, you go right back to the beginning.

Keep laughing in your comic strip.

The speech is in the dustbin thanks to Joe Pastas who are more than pleased to let this play our to save the last hope of their candidate and to one-way streeters like you who ignore the second part of the speech - that a good number of this white America that you hate have ancestors who were not even in the country when slavery existed and are miffed to be included in a general anti-white screed. And if color is the only thing that matters, please explain how Indian & Asian immigrants occupy many layers of science and medicine, while Hispanics are making greater ecomic strides than US-born blacks. At some point you have to start looking inward at the black American culture and ask how much is it contributing to its lesser economic status in the country?

Obama started talking about it, but thanks to your 8 track tape, you go right back to the beginning.

Oh that's right blame Joey Pasta and his support of Hillary and me because I supposedly hate "white America", whatever the hell that is, for Obama's speech being thrown in the old dustbin. Of course I haven't heard this from anybody else but what the hey! :pirate:

Asians and Indians were brought over here and endured centuries of brutal oppression right? Typical conservative twaddle.

Would you like to offer an opine on Parsley and Hagee?

I thought not.

Which is? Oh this should be good :pirate:

Why don't you ask me about something specific in the sermon? Narrow it down and I'll comment. I'm not going to make a blanket statement on the entire sermon, like you did based on a single phrase of the sermon.

Oh that's right blame Joey Pasta and his support of Hillary and me because I supposedly hate "white America", whatever the hell that is, for Obama's speech being thrown in the old dustbin. Of course I haven't heard this from anybody else but what the hey! :pirate:

You need to get reassurance from a sounding board to form an opinion? Thanks for the continued affirmation.

Asians and Indians were brought over here and endured centuries of brutal oppression right? Typical conservative twaddle.

Again, no one denies the brutality of slavery nor its aftermath. What is being questioned is when should you start to rise above it and take full advantage of the opportunities that have been available for a generation? Again, let's ignore the last part of Obama's speech.

Rewind. Press play.

Would you like to offer an opine on Parsley and Hagee?

I thought not.

I did.

I did

You did? What? What that little kiss off about not defending nutty christians? That's quite a stand there GG. I take it McCain is your man in November so how do you defend his embrace of these two rascist, homophobic, using-religion-as-a-business assclowns? How do you defend the corporate media for not giving it due coverage while they went absolutely apeshit over the Wright non-story?

You have answered more than most (ok a sentence) here so I'll give you some leeway there. Not that you're seeking it or anything.

How do you defend the corporate media for not giving it due coverage while they went absolutely apeshit over the Wright non-story?

Ooh! Extra hit points for continuing to repeat the same crap ad nauseum while not actually defending your argument. You're gonna be DeDuhDee Dungeon Master yet!