favorite wines

Pete

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not so sure how they can call it sulfate free seeing sulfates occur naturally in wine. However they do not add any additional sulfates.

yes you're right i should not have used "sulfate free". i was sceptic but a friend of mine who is in the wine business made me try and he was right.

Beaujolais is almost all the same grape so that one is pretty straightforward.

yeah Beaujolais are only made with the Gamay grape; Seldom used overseas, used in some Loire Valley wines in France as well.

In the "Crus", i have forgotten some nice ones like the Chiroubles, the Chenas and the wonderful St Amour (that makes a great Valentine's day gift!)

He Olivier- I have seen that many places. I remember it being big in Poland. Several countries I saw it-I can't recall specifically where but I saw it fairly often. They also mixed cherry juice and beer in Poland

well they'd mix anything with anything in Poland as long as it makes you drunk faster!

What was it and any idea if we can get it here in the states?

well it was some Morgon ... but it looks like it's a new "fashion" in the wine business around here... (one that looks to taste better than the "wood in wine" fashion we had a few years ago!) .

an interesting link in english: http://expertwineclub.com/category/Sulfite...ganic-Wine.aspx

keep in mind the first use of sulfates is conservation of the wine, that's why that kind of wine can only be appreciated on wines that can be consumed young (one or two years old) ... my friend told me you'd need a great wine cellar to keep some more than that. (but the Morgon we drank was 5 years old and really good, he has a great and perfect cellar... )

He Jim, i found those guys, looks like they have lot of choice.... http://www.chartrandimports.com/grapes.html

and by the way in June i'm gonna visit that vineyard with some wine loving friends. i have no clue what's "cosmoculture" but some of our friends tell us the wine is incredible... i'll tell you!

http://www.domaine-viret.com/vins-rhone-viret-us.htm

He Jim, i found those guys, looks like they have lot of choice.... http://www.chartrandimports.com/grapes.html

and by the way in June i'm gonna visit that vineyard with some wine loving friends. i have no clue what's "cosmoculture" but some of our friends tell us the wine is incredible... i'll tell you!

http://www.domaine-viret.com/vins-rhone-viret-us.htm

Thanks. Cosmoculture is either some hippy-dippy, long hair, tree hugging, eco-speak or it's a Kramer from Seinfeld fan club. Anything that will let me drinkd several bottles of good red wine sans headache is good for me.

Thanks. Cosmoculture is either some hippy-dippy, long hair, tree hugging, eco-speak or it's a Kramer from Seinfeld fan club. Anything that will let me drinkd several bottles of good red wine sans headache is good for me.

As long as the wine is good i don't really care if the guy is a hippie smoking his grapes!

well they'd mix anything with anything in Poland as long as it makes you drunk faster!

Poland has the strongest booze you can legally buy- vodka that is something like 185-187 proof! (190 is the purest you can distill drinkable alcohol. To distill pure alcohol you need to add benzene or some other nasty stuff.

Poland has the strongest booze you can legally buy- vodka that is something like 185-187 proof! (190 is the purest you can distill drinkable alcohol. To distill pure alcohol you need to add benzene or some other nasty stuff.

I tried that when I was in Krakow. I think they call it "spirits" or something like that. There was a group at a pub drinking and they bought me a drink with that alcohol. It was not straight- it was mixed with tonic I think. One of the kids was drinking a very strong version. He kept putting a match to the top of his glass and it would ignite for a second

Chef Jim, do you go the Temecula wineries at all ? Something to watch for this year and next year are wineries in the north east corner of San Diego County called Ramona. We are going to put in grapes next year at the ranch and start making wine about 3 years out. We are a different wine zone than Ramona, we are in the San Pasqual wine making zone with Orfilla Wineries.

We will private label some wine next year for our vinyard.

Chef Jim, do you go the Temecula wineries at all ? Something to watch for this year and next year are wineries in the north east corner of San Diego County called Ramona. We are going to put in grapes next year at the ranch and start making wine about 3 years out. We are a different wine zone than Ramona, we are in the San Pasqual wine making zone with Orfilla Wineries.

We will private label some wine next year for our vinyard.

Been to Temecula many times. Have not been in awhile. It's gotten way to crowded with "wine amateurs" from LA that are out just to get drunk. Good luck with your wine venture.