Why we need to draft a WR and not a CB with our pick.

Lik all teams, we have a number of needs, but truly none is more paramount than our need at WR.

Yes, we do need a CB but here's why we shouldn't go CB with our round one (or two for that matter) picks:

1. The Cover 2 is supposed to be able to "mask" coverage deficiencies.

2. Ashton Yobouty will be given one more chance to assert himself as a starter or at least a nickel come training camp.

3. Playing more nickel formations or rolling safety coverage to a CB could help him out.

4. Don't rule out a late free agent signing of a vet.

5. The Bills may be content with going with what they have at CB for at least one more year.

6. The aquisition of Stroud, emergence of McCargo, signing of Mitchell, and a healthy Posluszny will improve our D a lot and take pressure off the CBs.

Now, here's why we need to draft one good (and big) WR with the round one pick and a TE with the round two pick:

*But don't rule out the Bills looking to trade down in the first round. Or packing some picks to get another round two pick.

**If Sedrick Ellis is available at pick 11 the Bills will take him, but he won't get past Cincy at number 9.

1. The Bills are committed to giving Edwards ever chance to succeed and want to completely surround him with talent to ease his growth.

2. A big WR means a red zone target, which means more points, which means more wins.

3. Takes pressure and coverage off Evans.

4. Evans will put up monster numbers if we draft a legitimate number two guy.

5. Safeties have to respect the passing game now, which means more running room for Lynch.

6. Parrish is a great player and fun to watch, but he simply will never be anything more than a number 3 guy. He's most productive in the slot, with his after-the-catch ability.

7. A big WR gives us a legitimate possession guy who can help convert 3rd downs.

Why a TE with pick two:

1. Edwards is one of those QBs who is very good at locating the TE.

2. Our TE rotation is depleted anyway.

3. It's high time we had a decent receiving threat from this position.

4. TE has always been a great safety valve, Edwards needs this.

5. TE's are always a bigger threat in the red zone.

With all that said, CB is still a major need and I wouldn't be upset at all if the Bills took CB with the round one pick. Banking on the thought that there will be a good enough WR in round two and TE in round three. But do not underestimate how badly Bills management wants Edwards to succeed. They WILL surround him with talent.

Before I was liking Sweed, but now I'm back to Kelly. The more mocks I read, the more he pops up.

NFL.com has a great bio/overview of him, you all should read it.

I like Kelly and will be waiting to hear how he does at his workout on April 9.

We are in a great position here folks, we will have first crack at WR in the draft. We can go with whoever we want.

I look forward to your feedback people.

Developing Edwards by giving him talent is your best argument for a WR at #11.

But WR is less important for the Bills than just about every other position. Teams have gotten into the playoffs and won the SB without having two great WRs. Teams do NOT get into the playoffs or win the SB without great OLines and defenses.

Drafting a WR at #11 is a mistake for that reason, and the fact that 1st-round WRs often bust, and just as likely take two years to develop, just in time for their price tag to increase.

Now, here's why we need to draft one good (and big) WR with the round one pick and a TE with the round two pick:

*But don't rule out the Bills looking to trade down in the first round. Or packing some picks to get another round two pick.

**If Sedrick Ellis is available at pick 11 the Bills will take him, but he won't get past Cincy at number 9.

1. The Bills are committed to giving Edwards ever chance to succeed and want to completely surround him with talent to ease his growth.

2. A big WR means a red zone target, which means more points, which means more wins.

3. Takes pressure and coverage off Evans.

4. Evans will put up monster numbers if we draft a legitimate number two guy.

5. Safeties have to respect the passing game now, which means more running room for Lynch.

6. Parrish is a great player and fun to watch, but he simply will never be anything more than a number 3 guy. He's most productive in the slot, with his after-the-catch ability.

7. A big WR gives us a legitimate possession guy who can help convert 3rd downs.

Before I was liking Sweed, but now I'm back to Kelly. The more mocks I read, the more he pops up.

Developing Edwards by giving him talent is your best argument for a WR at #11.

But WR is less important for the Bills than just about every other position. Teams have gotten into the playoffs and won the SB without having two great WRs. Teams do NOT get into the playoffs or win the SB without great OLines and defenses.

Drafting a WR at #11 is a mistake for that reason, and the fact that 1st-round WRs often bust, and just as likely take two years to develop, just in time for their price tag to increase.

But WR is the teams biggest need right now. Where do you expect these o-line and d-line players to fit in right now? The team can onlycarry so many players and only a certain amount of players can see the field at a time. The o-line for once is not a problem, and they only part of it that needs upgrading at the moment is depth. Sure some say Centre needs an upgrade, but is there going to be someone in the top couple rounds that will come in and beat out Fowler from the start and better right now then what they have? The D-line is already been upgraded bringing in Stroud (or so we have to assume) to replace Triplett, and leaving them with Williams who is starting, and McCargo, a developing 3rd year player who is looking fairly good. They brought in the other guy that can fit the #4 spot at DT, and the only hole at the moment is Hargroves old spot, but I don't see them grabbing a rookie at #11 which will be an expensive move to add more moeny to the DE psoition. (Schobel and Kelsay will look alot better with better DT's)

And remember, they are only looking for a #2 WR right now, they don't need a guy that can step in and take Evans spot right now (if he eventually does thats a plus, but right now they only need a #2) so if it takes 2 years to get the player to reach their full potential (thats typically for the WR to reach their full potential as a #1, not a #2), thats fine since they are only going to be a #2 for now.

too bad our pass rush is non existent. If we had a pass rush, we may take a WR at 11. But we don't. Derrick Harvey is the pick if available.

Our pass rush should be improved with our FA signings. Don't forget, our offense AND defense ranked in the bottom five of the league, and we haven't really addressed the offense during FA. Unless we trade for chad johnson, I'm all for drafting at WR.

[quote name='apuszczalowski' date='Mar 26 2008, 03:12 PM' post='98875

And remember, they are only looking for a #2 WR right now, they don't need a guy that can step in and take Evans spot right now (if he eventually does thats a plus, but right now they only need a #2) so if it takes 2 years to get the player to reach their full potential (thats typically for the WR to reach their full potential as a #1, not a #2), thats fine since they are only going to be a #2 for now.

Exactly. They need a #2 WR. So why in the world would you draft a #2 WR with the 11th overall? All this clamoring for a freakin' #2 WR. I just don't get it.

As stated above, draft Harvey. If he's not there, get Rivers. If he's not there go OL or CB. Crissakes.......

Exactly. They need a #2 WR. So why in the world would you draft a #2 WR with the 11th overall? All this clamoring for a freakin' #2 WR. I just don't get it.

As stated above, draft Harvey. If he's not there, get Rivers. If he's not there go OL or CB. Crissakes.......

Because the Bills need someone to take the heat off of Evans, and currently don't have anyone else to do that, like I said, at the moment they don't need someone to step in and be a #1 right away, but they need someone good to take pressure off of Lee and be a #2, no one said this player can't eventually become a #1, unless you prefer they continue to kick FG's to win games.

They need a WR more then they need a backup/rotational DT or DE or a backup O-linemen right now. You can continue to be delusional and think they won't go with a TE or WR first, and will take a DE because they feel they need to upgrade Kelsay or Schobel.

Where are they going to put this new DT or DE they will be taking at #11? Schobel and Kelsay start, along with McCargo and Stroud.

Theres a gaping hole at WR, and they will be filling it with a WR, unless they can work out a deal for a #2 in a trade before then which isn't likely.

Because the Bills need someone to take the heat off of Evans, and currently don't have anyone else to do that, like I said, at the moment they don't need someone to step in and be a #1 right away, but they need someone good to take pressure off of Lee and be a #2, no one said this player can't eventually become a #1, unless you prefer they continue to kick FG's to win games.

They need a WR more then they need a backup/rotational DT or DE or a backup O-linemen right now. You can continue to be delusional and think they won't go with a TE or WR first, and will take a DE because they feel they need to upgrade Kelsay or Schobel.

Where are they going to put this new DT or DE they will be taking at #11? Schobel and Kelsay start, along with McCargo and Stroud.

Theres a gaping hole at WR, and they will be filling it with a WR, unless they can work out a deal for a #2 in a trade before then which isn't likely.

With the way the bills rotate defensive linemen, harvey would see a lot of time. I also dont think it's a stretch to say, it wouldnt take long for harvey to replace Kelsay as a starter. Kelsay doesn't really bring anything to the table. It's questionable whether he's an upgrade over a healthy Ryan Denney. Our defensive end rotation is extremely thin. If the bills were to lose Schobel to injury. It would be downright dreadful. Not to mention both Denney and Kelsay, are both coming off injuries. The difference between Harvey, and 2nd-4th rd de's is a lot larger, then the difference between Sweed/Kelly- 2nd-4th rd wr's. It's not a given he'll even be there at 11. If he is, then Harvey should be wearing Royal blue come pick #11.

If you don't think Harvey makes the Bills a better team sooner AND for the long haul, YOU'RE delusional. Where does the thinking of ".....if we don't get a WR in the 1st round, we've failed....." mentallity come from? No way in hell does this make any sense.

I was going to add, "IMO", but, I have a hunch it's not opinion. At least not fundamentally.

All good arguements.

The Bills could go in a number of directions with the 11 pick, and easily justify their selection but Harvey is not the pick. The Bills invested a lot of money in Schobel and Kelsay and won't go DE in the first round, I just don't see it.

Both our O and D were poor, but the D was so injured it was ridiculous. If Stroud re-asserts himself our sack numbers will go up. Before he got hurt, Puz was on the verge of stardom, he'll be a tackling machine. Whitner will continue to get better.

The pick has to be WR, the Bills have a new QB and O-Coordinator, they will do everything they can to ensure those guys succeed on O.

The Bills could go in a number of directions with the 11 pick, and easily justify their selection but Harvey is not the pick. The Bills invested a lot of money in Schobel and Kelsay and won't go DE in the first round, I just don't see it.

Don't jump the gun. Pass rushing DEs are hard to get. It has been that way for decades. I like our DEs more than most, but they are not young.

There is never a bad time to draft a guy who can block, or a guy who can rush the passer.

With the way the bills rotate defensive linemen, harvey would see a lot of time. I also dont think it's a stretch to say, it wouldnt take long for harvey to replace Kelsay as a starter. Kelsay doesn't really bring anything to the table. It's questionable whether he's an upgrade over a healthy Ryan Denney. Our defensive end rotation is extremely thin. If the bills were to lose Schobel to injury. It would be downright dreadful. Not to mention both Denney and Kelsay, are both coming off injuries. The difference between Harvey, and 2nd-4th rd de's is a lot larger, then the difference between Sweed/Kelly- 2nd-4th rd wr's. It's not a given he'll even be there at 11. If he is, then Harvey should be wearing Royal blue come pick #11.

I think we need someone to raotate with shobel more than Kelsey or Denney. Kelsey isnt going anywhere if for no other reason than his contract and Denney is a solid backup. Ill be happy if we take a DE bc it is a bit of a need and i see us trading into the first round agian to take M. kelley or devin Thomas...ect.

What injury is Kelsey coming off? Not saying your wrong but i feel i missed that

If you don't think Harvey makes the Bills a better team sooner AND for the long haul, YOU'RE delusional. Where does the thinking of ".....if we don't get a WR in the 1st round, we've failed....." mentallity come from? No way in hell does this make any sense.

I was going to add, "IMO", but, I have a hunch it's not opinion. At least not fundamentally.

I never said that

What I said was that the biggest need right now for the Bills is a WR, not a rotational DE. Normally you don't fill a big need with a later round pick, and draft a depth guy at #11 Schobel, Kelsay and Denney are not in the final years of their contracts and are already tying up alot of salary, it would be nice to continue and upgrade that spot, but the team has bigger needs if it wants to succeed right now and continue developing a young QB.

What I meant by the delusional comment is that if you think they are not going to take a WR or TE and go DE. Taking a DE right now would be a luxury they can't afford, unless a good WR becomes available before the draft, or a trade is made. Its not going to matter how great the defence is if the offence can't stay on the field or score more then 3 points at a time.