Falcons nab Elam for 4 years and $9 million

Falcons nab Elam for 4 years and $9 million

Falcons agreed to terms with K Jason Elam on a four-year, $9 million contract, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

The deal includes $3.3 million and ensures that Morten Andersen won't be back for another year. Elam, 38, spent his entire career to this point in Denver. He'll be kicking in a dome now, but has lost some of his range and will be part of what projects to be a well below average offense. Mar. 21 - 5:25 pm et

Not a bad pickup and it seems about right for an above average kicker.

Elam, IMO, is the best kicker in the NFL...I am content with Lindell, but I would dump him for Elam in a heartbeat, if there was no financial repercussions...

Elam, IMO, is the best kicker in the NFL...I am content with Lindell, but I would dump him for Elam in a heartbeat, if there was no financial repercussions...

I would too...if elam was 30.

While Elam may be better than lindell THIS season, its impossible to know how long he will continue to perform. And due to the long period of time it took for me to become comfortable with a kicker after christie left, I am not willing to give up a short term gain for long term pain.

While Elam may be better than lindell THIS season, its impossible to know how long he will continue to perform. And due to the long period of time it took for me to become comfortable with a kicker after christie left, I am not willing to give up a short term gain for long term pain.

Point taken...I didn't really mean to say anything bad about Lindell, just pointing out how much I thought of Elam. But while I am at it, I will say, I think Jaouron and co. are a little too overprotective of Lindell at times, when it is not really called for. There was a few times the last two seasons where I thought most coaches, in the same situation, would have tried a field goal, but the Bills chose to punt. Maybe not a condemnation of Lindell, as much as faith in their coverage teams. Just think about it though, Lindell has been asked to kick in very few "clutch" situations. Now I know, some smart ass will say, "when your QB can only drive you to 4 or 5 field goals a game, isn't every kick a cluthch kick?" But, you know what I mean....

I have a little side story if anyone is interested. Denver signed K Matt Prater awhile back, anticipating that terms couldn't be worked out with Elam. I know Prater and his family, he's from Fort Myers, Fl. His bio from the Broncos' official website says that he was born in Mayfield Hights, Ohio but he grew up here. My son is his age but was better friends with Prater's older brother Mike. When all the parents were at the orientation for freshmen football I see this mother just hammering the coach about her son who is a kicker. I tell my wife why in the hell is that lady going on and on about her kid being a kicker. Now I know why. He's a nice kid and he's from a good family. Matter of fact his old man is a psychiatrist, so they never really have hurt for money. I ran into him and his brother at breakfast a few weeks back and he told me then that he has a real good chance of staying on with Denver but only if Elam were to retire.

Once he went to college, I read about him from time to time. He's got some credentials, I think he tied the school record for the most kicks or longest kick, some crap like that. It was pretty exciting to know him and then see Detroit give him a chance. It didn't work out so he came home, which is only two hours from Miami but on the other coast, and kept practicing when Miami decided to give him a shot. It looked like he had a good chance to stay on because there was rumblings and dissatifaction with current kicker Olindo Mare at that time. Prater got cut but that's when Atlanta picked him up under that Petrino maniac. The kid finally makes the big times and is going to stick but then he goes and misses two out of three easy enough kicks and gets the boot himself. What's ironic is Prater gets cut from Atlanta and goes to Denver and Elam splits and goes to Atlanta. In this whole kicker merry-go-round process is that Martin Gramatica, who is from this area also (Port Charlotte?), replaced Mare in New Orleans. I don't know Gramatica personally but I do know a few people who do, one kid even was coached by Gramatica's father in soccer. I always thought he was a goofball by the way he would jump up and down when he was in Tampa but he's actually supposed to be a really nice guy.

Well, I really didn't mean to get into all this but I thought it would be interesting to share this with everybody and I'm real happy about this opportunity for Prater. I hope that it works out for him and he lands up with a nice, successful career in Denver, he's a good, respectful kid.

I might agree with you 3-5 years ago, but not at this point of the year.

I have to disagree with the statement that Elam might be better then lindell this season. Lindell has been better for at least the last 3 years

Last 3 years

Lindell 76/87 87.3% 19/26 in 40-49 73% 7/8 over 50

Elam 78/92 84.7% 24/33 in 40-49 73% 3/7 over 50